Author Topic: Are we "out of" Genres?  (Read 1496 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Are we "out of" Genres?
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:44 pm »
Topic.

Do you think that we have run-out of genres or do you think that there are still yet-to-be-discovered genres waiting for us in the future?

What are your thoughts & ideas concerning our current genres?

Do you have any ideas for new genres that you'd like to see or that you're surprised that we haven't already seen?

Discuss -
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

Re: Are we "out of" Genres?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »
I think it depends on if we count sub-genres or not. In terms of genres(Action, adventure, sports...) then I would say that we have run out but in terms of sub-genres(Action RPG, Hockey, Arcade Racer) there are still tons to be "discovered"

byron

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:54 pm »
New genres come about when technology advances. We "discovered" 3D platformers and First-Person Shooters when the technology to display them came about. I think video game technology will continue to advance, creating new genres as it does.

A few years ago there was no such thing as an Augmented Reality game. Currently there are no hologram games...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:00:16 pm »
First Person Sports games.  It's the wave of the future.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

In a way, I imagine that would look not all that unlike Wii Sports...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:57 pm »

In a way, I imagine that would look not all that unlike Wii Sports...

Maybe, they're already here.

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »

Hmmm... didn't the Sega CD have first-person Basketball and first-person Boxing? Actually, I recall Fight Night Round 3 (on PS3) having a first-person mode.

.... Yeah, I think we're basically out of genres. All I can see going on now is pushing the limits of what you can do with each genre and mixing different gameplay concepts... maybe once game devs stop trying to Call of Duty-ize everything.

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »
New genres come about when technology advances. We "discovered" 3D platformers and First-Person Shooters when the technology to display them came about. I think video game technology will continue to advance, creating new genres as it does.

A few years ago there was no such thing as an Augmented Reality game. Currently there are no hologram games...
To me 3D platformers are just a sub-genre of platformers and First-Person Shooters are just a sub-genre to action.

byron

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
First-Person Shooters are just a sub-genre to action.

And the Pinta Island Tortoise was just a sub-species of Galapagos Tortoise, but it was still different enough to go extinct. What's your point?

matt

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:24 am »

They had First Person Football in one of the NFL 2K# games. Can't remember which year but needless to say, it didn't work.

psydswipe

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

They had First Person Football in one of the NFL 2K# games. Can't remember which year but needless to say, it didn't work.

Yeah, as someone who does (mostly did, not as often these days) play sports games I tried that. It debuted in the 2K4 version which was titled ESPN NFL Football and returned in 2K5.