Author Topic: Proper TV for gaming?  (Read 1871 times)

Proper TV for gaming?
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »
I'm looking at getting a TV for my room, as I wish to have all my game systems set up there (I share a 5 bedroom house with 5 roomies).  I'm having a hard time sorting through all the BS that is spread over the web about needing X or Y for it to be a decent gaming TV.  Any imput?  If at all possible, I'd like to find something in the 32-ish inch range that could play my PS3 and 360, but still give a decent picture for my SNES and N64.

htimreimer

Re: Proper TV for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:50:13 am »
any hd tv will work and all you just need is the composite video cables for your snes and n64

soera

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:31 am »
Im going to recommend my Christmas wishlist item : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+PlayStation+3D+Display+Bundle/2891051.p;jsessionid=58EF0F9DE56026161DB43A7464ACD6D5.bbolsp-app01-75?id=1218360683860&skuId=2891051&st=3d display&cp=1&lp=1

Can keep the ps3, xbox 360, and have a component slot for the SNES (use the 64 as something to set your drinks on). :)

byron

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:17:12 am »
Your best bet is a CRT, any 32" is good. Just avoid Sony Trinitrons. They were the best, but now they're all broken. Whatever you find, test it before you buy it.

If you want a flat screen, get a plasma. They have the best contrast ratio, which is what you want for gaming. They are also the cheapest, which is nice. Just bear in mind that your SNES will look like horrible garbage on any flat screen. 240p is in no way compatible with an HDTV.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:58:00 am »
I've been happy w/ my 32" Bravia...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:44:48 am »
I ended up getting this TV :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009APC0S6/

Hopefully it'll look ok for older systems.  I am hoping it'll have a video option that does the small window inside the larger screen, which is normally a 4:3 aspect ratio.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:50:18 am »
I ended up getting this TV :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009APC0S6/

Hopefully it'll look ok for older systems.  I am hoping it'll have a video option that does the small window inside the larger screen, which is normally a 4:3 aspect ratio.

That looks like a good price, too!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »
I've found all this "You *must* keep a CRT for older TVs!" to be complete BS - the main quality issues when using older consoles on HDTVs are poor cables (you really should be using *at least* s-video) and cheap TVs. My AES, Saturn, SFC, PCE, etc all look fantastic on my 42 inch plasma TV and I do have a CRT in the same room to compare them to.

scott

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »
I've found all this "You *must* keep a CRT for older TVs!" to be complete BS - the main quality issues when using older consoles on HDTVs are poor cables (you really should be using *at least* s-video) and cheap TVs. My AES, Saturn, SFC, PCE, etc all look fantastic on my 42 inch plasma TV and I do have a CRT in the same room to compare them to.

Agreed. Though I use coaxial on my NES and SNES and they look really good on my TV. Everything else is hooked up via composite cables and I've never had a quality issue with my Saturn, N64, GC or Xbox. While my PS3 and 360 are hooked up with component cables, naturally.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:54 am »

Agreed. Though I use coaxial on my NES and SNES and they look really good on my TV. Everything else is hooked up via composite cables and I've never had a quality issue with my Saturn, N64, GC or Xbox. While my PS3 and 360 are hooked up with component cables, naturally.

There is a noticeable quality difference between a good CRT and a LCD display. LCD is pure shite from a image perspective when compared to a good CRT. There is no arguing that... Plasma and DLP are a different story, most SD content looks pretty good on these display types.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:45:24 am by pceslayer »