Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 285128 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1245 on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:05 am »

I'm not particularly a horror fan, I've seen a number of different ones over the years, but I'm not watching something to be scared or for gore, so I generally don't watch slasher films.  Closest I get are zombie movies and some horror games, but it's for other reasons like the world itself, as zombies lend themselves to apocalyptic scenarios.  I do have sort of a soft spot for Jason, I kinda always liked the big guy in a hockey mask compared to Mike Meyers or Leather Face or Freddy Kreuger, and I just bought the Friday the 13th game on PC and enjoyed it.  Rather than delving into the older movies, I thought I'd check out the 2009 reboot movie and I actually mostly liked it.

From what I generally know of the original movies, as I've dabbled in them or seen reviews and such about them, this movie kinda consolidates the idea of the first couple movies into one and I personally found the movie really solid.  It has most of the tropes you'd expect, but it's never that comedic or silly.  It's actually way more straight forward with it's deaths than I expected, especially when I saw that movie had Michael Bay as a producer.  Which is fine to me as I'm not watching this for ridiculous gory deaths and it had some new elements I liked.

One thing that is ridiculous though is that this Jason is so fast.  I know it was always kinda funny how Jason always caught up to people in the previous ones, but in this, we get a scene of Jason killing someone away from the main house, down a hill, and then like a minute later, is on the second floor of the house itself.  This NFL Linebacker has the agility of a gymnast and the speed of a track runner, it's almost absurd lol

My only real gripe is that the ending kinda sucked.  It's a cheap spook ending and doesn't make much sense, which is a shame, because I was fine till that.  I was even sorta expecting it, but I thought they'd handle it differently and again, plot wise, it makes little sense.  I still say if you like Friday the 13th or just want a slasher flick to watch for this spooky season, it's good enough to watch.  Now I wonder if we'll get this Jason in the video game...

The reason he moved so fast is because he had all the catacombs and tunnels underneath the camp. So he'd take shortcuts and pop up, knowing where they were going.That's what they were running around in at the end.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:31:52 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1246 on: October 15, 2017, 03:41:28 am »

With season 2 only a few weeks away I decided to rewatch the first season and ended up loving it as much the second time around. The people that worked on this show did an amazing job at making this feel like something actually out of the 80s (the time period when this show takes place), so much so that I sometimes feel like I'm actually watching a horror flick from the 80s. The cast is stellar, the story is very interesting, there is excellent humor and nerd references mixed in, and it is probably one of the best shows I have ever seen. I am so excited for season 2, but it will definitely have a hard act to follow with how incredible season 1 is.

I loved it. But I'm already an 80s movie junkie. So this was aimed right at me.

« Reply #1247 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:39 am »
300: Rise of an Empire
Although the cinematography was breath-taking, i think the plot was half-baked and secondary to the prequel. But the actors did a marvelous job especially Eva Green. She had a great screen presence.

doafan

« Reply #1248 on: October 16, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »
Took my daughter to the movies twice this month and I do expect to go again before October ends, we saw Monster Family and My Little Pony the Movie, at home I saw Hell in a Cell and at the office (yes at the damn office) finished three anime series, am talking about Re: Creators, Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e and Kakegurui  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #1249 on: October 29, 2017, 01:21:16 pm »

Binge watched Stranger Things season 2 between Friday and last night and while season 2 was not as good as the first, it definitely came close, especially the last two episodes which were in my opinion better than the last two of season 1. As for the rest of season 2, it was pretty enjoyable, but lacked some of the charm of the first season which is why i didn't like it as much. Also, episode 7 of season 2 is by far the worst, most pointless episode of the entire series so far, you'll know what I'm talking about when you watch it. I'm very happy at least nothing really came of that episode since it may have spelled the end of that show's appeal to me. Definitely watch season 2 if you liked the first season, you won't be disappointed!

« Reply #1250 on: October 30, 2017, 04:31:37 am »
Also finished Stranger Things 2 and thought it was great.  Doesn't surpass the first season, but I expected that  The first show was so unique and standout for what it was, that I wasn't really thinking it would, though it's a fantastic continuation.  Very engaging, some pretty intense scenes, and all really well done.  I'm curious if they'll go through with a third season, they left enough tidbits to do so, but if they didn't, I'd be alright with that as this one didn't have the same sequel bait as the first.

« Reply #1251 on: October 31, 2017, 02:54:26 am »

In the spirit of Halloween I decided to watch a movie I have never actually heard of prior to 2-days ago. While trying to hunt down a cheap copy around town I watched various reviews for this movie with nothing but glowing things being said about it, some even going as far as to compare it to Aliens in terms of sci-fi horror. Needless to say my expectations were fairly high.

So now having watched it I can say that the movie is pretty good, definitely one of the better sci-fi horror flicks I've seen. There was definitely a constant sense of tension, uneasiness, and mystery around who was "the thing" which sadly was partially spoiled in a couple of the reviews I watched. The only thing I didn't like about this movie were scenes involving animals getting mutilated/harmed which while done in a way that was relevant to the plot, is just something that really bothers me on a personal level regardless of why it is being done. I can't see I agree with those who think it is better than Aliens, but it was definitely a great movie and a must for people looking for a very well written and directed horror movie.

soera

« Reply #1252 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:11 pm »
J
I
G
S
A
W
!
!
!
!
!

« Reply #1253 on: November 01, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »

I purchased a John Carpenter movie compilation in order to watch The Thing and with it being a bit more money than I was looking to originally spend, I decided to see if the other three movies on the compilation were any good. I picked this one since it seemed like the most interesting and because I remember seeing the cover for this movie on the VHS box art at a local video rental store growing up, which always intrigued me.

But anyways, Prince of Darkness; this movie is utter shit. It starts out fairly promising with a group of academics and scientists being tasked to investigate a mysterious canister in an ancient underground chapel. Where the movie loses all this is when the "scary" stuff is supposed to start happening. For one it takes way too long for anything to happen, and the buildup about everything doesn't amount to much until the last 20-minutes of the movie which is let down by there being no real villain and the scary part of the movie being a few jump scares and minor gore effects. On top of that, a lot of what transpires in this movie makes very little sense and overall the movie is a total mess.

Here's hoping either Village of the Damned or They Live will be good.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1254 on: November 02, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »

Watched this on finally the other night.

Enjoyable, and worth a watch if you're a fan of the Apes series. But the other ones in this modern series were better.

The title of the film is fitting, because it felt like a war movie.

So, this is the first Marvel produced film that I can say that I didn't like. Watched it last night.

It just didn't feel like Spider-Man to me. He was more like Iron Man Jr. His suit could do freaking anything, and Uncle Tony was just around the corner to make everything right.
The characters didn't feel like the familiar supporting cast that we all know, either.

And lastly, as good as an actor as Keaton is, I just felt the villain was weak with a weak motivation. He was basically just a bank robber, that had these wings. Which yeah, that's pretty much what Vulture is in the comics, too, granted. But I feel for the first Marvel produced Spider-Man movie, he really should have had a villain that was grander, or at least had a better back-story.

Tobey McGuire movies are still the best, in my book.

« Reply #1255 on: November 02, 2017, 10:57:08 pm »

Simply good superhero fun.  It shares a lot with Guardians of the Galaxy in tone as it's really funny.  Some people might not like that quite as much due to it feeling abit tonally off compared to the movies plot revolving around saving Asgard from Hela, but I'm glad they are more willing to have fun with the movies alongside more serious takes on it.  Plus it was probably done because Black Panther and Infinity War are going to be more serious films.

« Reply #1256 on: November 03, 2017, 12:50:29 am »

I haven't seem this movie since around the time it came out on video around 2003 or 2004. I remember it not being as good as the first, but still entertaining and interesting. My memory of it was fairly accurate as rewatching it I felt entertained, but felt like this movie was nothing special. The story is pretty good, the action is top notch, hell, even the cheesy, edgy vampire squad is cool and reminds me of other action flicks from the early 2000s. Blade II isn't a movie I'd rewatch a lot, but something that I can enjoy again every decade or so. Not the amazing movie the first was, but still worth watching if you're a fan of this series.

Flashback2012

« Reply #1257 on: November 05, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »
Saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday. Rather predictable but entertaining. Some things I liked, others I didn't but it was good overall.

« Reply #1258 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:30 pm »
The last film I watched was actually the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie, I've always wanted to watch it so I bought a DVD of it online and enjoyed it.

Also bought a promotional Love Live CD and enjoyed a nice performance Snow Halation ╰(▔∀▔)╯. I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for SilvaGunner but it seems like a nice franchise. :)
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1259 on: November 06, 2017, 12:45:40 pm »

This is sooo good! Action packed, intense, and emotional. Its great how no one person is a straight bad guy, just shades of grey. Makes you think about things more.

This may be my new favorite comic show. I marathoned 3 episodes in a row last week.

What do you guys think of this one?