Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 298283 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2430 on: May 25, 2024, 12:21:02 am »
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - On rewatch after a couple years away, it seems like my tastes have shifted slightly over the past few years.  I was pretty sure I had Empire above A New Hope on fave's, but they are kinda neck and neck now.  A New Hope is just a nice beginning to end story, they could've just ended the series there and it would've been fine, the story was overall unfinished, but it was just this one story of this world and it worked fine. 

Empire hinges a lot more on the 1st act of the movie with Hoth than I thought, I love that entire sequence, and while Dagobah is good character stuff, the Bespin stuff is kind of a weak point for me, and it very much feels like a middle film.  It's an enjoyable watch and I do enjoy Vader and Luke's fight, it doesn't have the dazzle of later era fights, but it works a lot more than how Vader/Kenobi fight was as there's a lot of passion to it.

Always interesting to see something in a slightly different light than how it was before.  I don't think much will have changed with Jedi, but we'll see.

« Reply #2431 on: May 25, 2024, 12:50:37 pm »
Hot Fuzz - One of those movies that just gets better every single time you watch it.  Whip smart script, insane editing.  Just incredible.

Beetlejuice - Gives you just enough world-building to serve the supernatural part of the plot, but not one iota more. The moment you ask a question not relevant to the plot ot falls apart, and that's why it's 100% perfect world-building.

Furiosa - It's no Fury Road, but what is?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:17:35 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2432 on: May 27, 2024, 05:11:00 am »
Just finished Perfect Blue and whoa, that movie left me shaken. Satoshi Kon truly crafted a masterpiece of psychological horror. Mima's descent into fractured reality was terrifying and relatable, blurring the lines between idol fantasy and disturbing obsession. The animation perfectly captured the growing sense of unease, and the ending...man, that ending is still messing with my head

« Reply #2433 on: May 28, 2024, 08:57:42 pm »
Project X - It's a bit insufferable until the party starts, but once it gets going its fun enough and has a few decent laughs.

Bend of the River - A sturdy and well told Western with some anti-capitalist themes.

Anatomy of a Fall - This has some really incredible individual moments, and couple of great performances, but it feels like any one of dozens hard boiled or true crime series that have been saturating the market lately. I did walk away wondering how accurate of a portrayal of the French legal system is, because it felt a lot like Phoenix Wright at times.

Bernie - Not sure that this execution would have worked with any director other than Linklater.  His penchant for making things feel so natural really makes the talking head sections pop.

Babe: Pig in the City - A drastically different film than the previous, and utterly delightful, picture, which makes for a near fever-dreamlike experience. A George Miller picture through and through.  Must be seen to be believed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 09:52:49 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2434 on: June 02, 2024, 02:50:09 am »
Stars Wars: Return of the Jedi - I forgot how much this movie craters with the Ewoks.  I'm totally on board with things up to the Scout Trooper chase, and then the movie falls flat on its face when the bears show up lol I think in general, the movie just isn't very good at that point.  The Emperor/Darth Vader/Luke stuff is decent, but that's kinda all I got for basically the second half of the movie.  Definitely the weakest of the three original movies even still.

Also man do the prequel additions to this movie hurt abit right at the end.  I understand why, it creates cohesion between the films retroactively, but I feel if someone is introducing these movies to someone new, it should always be in release order.  Original, Prequel, Sequel.  Doing that though, people at the end are introduced to a young man that you could of course assume is Anakin, but never saw before, and all sorts of random cities celebrating the Empire's destruction that they would have no knowledge.  Really just another reason that very explicitly shows why the special editions are bad and have always been bad.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - I kinda hate the revisionism the prequels have had lately, at least with Phantom Menace, people acting like the dislike for Phantom Menace in particular was a later thing because of Youtube and not that the movie was actually considered a mixed bag back in the day and even disliked by many.  I know I grew up with it and even at the time as a kid, I didn't love it. 

As the years have gone on, the movie has aged poorly with its CG, the writing and dialogue is poor, a lot of the acting isn't very good because of that writing and direction, we've seen actors talk about how rough it could be trying to act in blue screened voids, and Jar Jar Binks actively makes the movie worse in every scene he's in, which is in far too many scenes, and if it wasn't for Pod Racing, I'd have nothing with this movie.  Just makes me want to play Episode 1 Racer again lol A random note about Pod Racing, but I think it works because so much of the scene has very little dialogue going on, the CG is at its best here, and no Jar Jar Binks yapping on.  Basically everything I dislike about the movie isn't at play here lol  I go back and forth on the Darth Maul fight, it's generally fine, the stall is kinda lame, and the ending is bad.

This is still the worst Star Wars movie to me.  Phantom Menace is a more cohesive and better put together movie than something like Rise of Skywalker, but I'll take entertaining slop, over absolute boredom for much of the film.  Attack of the Clones up next is another in the run for bottom of the pile for Star Wars movies.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 05:25:41 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2435 on: June 02, 2024, 03:09:24 pm »
Night at the Museum - The supporting cast is really what makes this work.  Robin Williams stealing every scene, Dick Van Dyke having a ball, Mickey Rooney just being absolutely feral.  Stiller and the story are just passable, even if it is a bit nonsensical.  Definitely worse family fare out there.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - Definitely a weaker narrative than the first, but there's a lot less downtime, plus it's got Bill Hader and Amy Adams, so it's kind of a wash.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 07:02:40 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2436 on: June 03, 2024, 02:52:32 am »
Killer Klowns From Outer Space - Watched a good bit of the new game and realized I had never seen the movie, or don't remember it all, but it's shockingly well put together lol Like the idea is super dumb, but they know it's ridiculous and embrace it.  They actually play everything fairly straight with the townspeople, it's a cheesy 80's movie still, but they leave the absurdity to the clowns for the most part, and it works lol The costumes, the sets, the props, it's all so well done.  It's definitely not a movie to take too seriously, though I think it has like 2 or 3 genuinely creepy moments.

I also really appreciate how they do absolutely nothing to explain how anything works with the clowns.  Their powers, their gadgets, what they are, it's all absurd and ridiculous and you just are meant to go along with it .  None of that needs to be explained, they are just wacky as hell alien clowns lol This is a recommend if you dig the more goofy comedy side of horror.  It's something you put up there alongside stuff like Gremlins.

« Reply #2437 on: June 03, 2024, 08:50:12 pm »
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - Surprisingly emotional finale  to this trilogy. The most confidently made of the three, even if still has some cringe-worthy and juvenile moments.  Dan Stevens walks away with the movie, which should not be a shock.

« Reply #2438 on: June 07, 2024, 01:23:30 am »
Baki Hanma vs Kengan Ashura - Didn't even realize this had released.  Never watched Kengan Ashura, the anime I saw was CG and I didn't think it looked to great, but Baki Hanma is a great fight show.  I wouldn't say it's usually the best animation wise, but what it makes up for with that is by having the fighters be the most insane fighting characters ever with wild backstories and over the top action.  Kengan Ashura might be similar, I'm not sure, but being that the first fight is against a guy who toughened his body be fracturing bones and healing them to make them stronger, or use to bash his head with a hammer or hit on rocks to do the same, shows that these are both very similar stories I guess lol

There's no story to this, it knows what it is, it's a fight show, so there's no justification for the crossover other than it's two organizations coming together to fight because the heads of both got drunk one night together.  It's everything I expected out of a Baki Hanma production.  Grotesquely muscular men beating the ever loving crap out of each other in even more bloody ways and horrific ways.  It's not a show I'd recommend to anyone just because it's so dumb and ridiculous, but I love anime like this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 01:31:21 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #2439 on: June 07, 2024, 09:35:46 pm »
Hit Man - Wildly genre-fluid, to the point where I could never predict what was going happen next because it was so expertly switching between them.  Smoldering chemistry between the leads, but it takes spends a little too long establishing its concept before hitting to those highs.

The Silencing - Gorgeous and moody with a great cast (even if some are wasted). The script is high on concept, but stumbles in execution, particularly the dialogue department.

They Came Together - Great cast, great gags.  Doesn't quite reach the highs of Wet Hot American Summer, but still wildly hilarious.

Dick Tracy - Just one of the coolest looking films ever made.  Script needs just a little more punch, though, as it drags a little for something that's only a buck 45.

Hard Target 2 - Mostly solid DTV sequel with a decent cast.  Adkins is his usual stalwart self as the lead, while Robert Knepper and Temura Morrison give the right amount of gravitas for the heavies.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 08:06:26 pm by Cartagia »