Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 301670 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2445 on: June 26, 2024, 02:26:36 am »
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - It's always shocking to me how much of a leap in quality Revenge of the Sith is to just Attack of the Clones.  The first two movies are nearly unwatchable to me, but this one is pretty great from beginning to end.  It has its issues for sure strewn about, but I'm rarely annoyed by anything like the last two.  Good opener, the fall of Anakin works...enough...I don't think it's great, like he goes from questioning things to murdering children real fast and the stuff with Padme is "eh", sorta wish they had gone about it a different way.

That being said, I sorta feel like his movie is sitting pretty high on the list.  Best in the prequels, I like it more than Return of the Jedi, I might at this point put it above Empire as I don't think I enjoy the stuff after Hoth as much other than some of Luke's training and the Luke vs Vader fight.  It's always hard for me to compare old movies with new movies in a very direct way, but I think A New Hope is such a classic all around, so below that.

Gonna do the full sequel trilogy next and then will do Solo and Rogue One.  Between this I might go and watch Ahsoka since it's the only thing I have left that I haven't seen.  Don't think I'll rewatch all the television series at this point, but maybe I will.  Could all be a nice lead up to Star Wars Outlaws and eventually I need to get to playing Jedi Survivor.

« Reply #2446 on: June 29, 2024, 03:21:49 pm »
jackass: the movie - It's not just about the pranks themselves, it's also about the execution. And no one is better at it than these idiots.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 03:47:07 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2447 on: June 30, 2024, 03:21:28 am »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - This one is great, I feel as if I enjoy it more since my last watch. It certainly has the issue of being a light rehash of a New Hope, hero found on a desert planet, a Darth Vader type character, leading up to a planet destroying space station, but there's a lot of great stuff going on.  It's just a real fun scifi adventure, I love the whole cast.  It still annoys me how little they utilize Phasma, she gets the Boba Fett treatment, even though she has a great look and is a great actress.  I think she should've been on the planet when they show up to capture Rey, getting into that fight with Finn, pushing him to his limit, nearly killed because she's better, just to get blasted by Han, but survives and gets away.  Would've been way better.

« Reply #2448 on: June 30, 2024, 04:38:19 pm »
A Quiet Place: Day One - The concept of A Quiet Place remains a strong elevator pitch that continues to erode logistically the longer the franchise runs and the larger the setting.  Fortunately this entry boasts some great setpieces coupled with really strong performances to counterbalance those issues.  Probably the weakest of the three films, but it is still pretty solid.

« Reply #2449 on: June 30, 2024, 05:32:52 pm »
A Quiet Place: Day One - The concept of A Quiet Place remains a strong elevator pitch that continues to erode logistically the longer the franchise runs and the larger the setting.  Fortunately this entry boasts some great setpieces coupled with really strong performances to counterbalance those issues.  Probably the weakest of the three films, but it is still pretty solid.

This feels like one of those series that didn't need a sequel, but it somehow seems to continue being decent.  I thought the second movie was gonna be unnecessary, so I avoided it, but it turned out to be pretty good.  This movie with it being set in the early point of the apocalypse is what I thought the previous movie was gonna be about, which I didn't really want, but it sounds like they did things decently enough, so I might check it out when it hits home release.

dhaabi

« Reply #2450 on: June 30, 2024, 05:48:10 pm »

This feels like one of those series that didn't need a sequel, but it somehow seems to continue being decent.  I thought the second movie was gonna be unnecessary, so I avoided it, but it turned out to be pretty good.

I feel strongly that A Quiet Place didn't need a sequel, especially considering it was written as such. The debut entry is good, but the sequel entry was far from it, in my opinion. I'm sure at some point I'll get around to watching A Quiet Place: Day One, but I wouldn't even consider it to be on my watch list backlog.

« Reply #2451 on: June 30, 2024, 06:05:58 pm »
I feel strongly that A Quiet Place didn't need a sequel, especially considering it was written as such. The debut entry is good, but the sequel entry was far from it, in my opinion. I'm sure at some point I'll get around to watching A Quiet Place: Day One, but I wouldn't even consider it to be on my watch list backlog.

I agree, it didn't need a sequel whatsoever, but the sequel they did make was still good, like the original would be a 9, and the sequel would be a 7 or 8, which is still solid.  More often than not these type of movies get sequels that are so much worse, like Monsters from 2010, where it's just a solid, interesting, single story, but they made a sequel to capitalize on the success of the original, and ultimately failed.  I view 28 Days Later in a similar way to a Quiet Place currently, where you get this great single movie that didn't need a sequel, but it had a decent enough sequel, though it could certainly not do it right for the upcoming movie, but hopefully it's a situation where it turns out well.