Author Topic: Earthbound's Back  (Read 9227 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Earthbound's Back
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Check this out.  Earthbound is coming to Virtual Console!  I'm hoping this means that the SNES will drop a little in price. 

http://earthboundcentral.com/

sin2beta

Re: Earthbound's Back
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:57 pm »
The fact that it has taken this long is mind boggling.

Still this is good news. It is honestly jut a really good and enjoyable RPG. I would have loved to have seen Mother and Mother 3 get translated releases though.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »
Now if we could only get an announcement for the US VC... I know I'd buy it, day 1.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »
It's crazy that has taken this long to release this game. After all nes has been in Smash Bros since the beginning.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Is this gonna be on Wii U, only? Or are they gonna throw a bone to use old Wii users?

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
Sadly it's just in japan, where Mother 2 is actually not expensive at all. Don't think it's gonna affect the price of the US SNES cart.

godnightshade

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:47 am »
Earthbound has taken this long because of all the possible copyright infringement cases that could be brought up against it. Some say they could argue parody, but that could be a difficult argument. Hopefully they bring it to USVC. That would be great for everyone who hasn't played the game, or would like to give some money out so we can someday get a port of Mother 3.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:43 am »
What copyrights have been infringed upon? 

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:34 pm »
Well copyright in terms of the music, there is a great video by clan of the gray wolf explaining all the music similarities and the different pop culture refrences.Check out the video if your interested at clanofthegraywolf.com in the 16 bit gems section

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:55 pm »
Everything on there would fall under parody.  Yeah, there are pop culture referances; but nothing that would infringe on copyrights. 

*edit*  I wrote this without watching Roo's video.  I'll watch it later and get back to you.  I just doubt much has changed since 1995 in copyright law.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:12:41 pm by turf »

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:16 pm »
I hope the price on the game keeps skyrocketing.. I mean I bought it at $90.00 cartridge only and already I've seen it for sale for cartridge only up to 230.00
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:28 pm »
Here's another one of Roo's vids on the subject:
http://clanofthegraywolf.com/extra-1/

It shows a few of the songs that may be problematic in Earthbound, but also shows a bunch of games with a similar issue that never got any legal problems.

I really think there wouldn't be any issues with re-releasing this anywhere, Nintendo are just being asses to everyone because it was a failure in its days.

jcalder8

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:33:36 pm »
I hope the price on the game keeps skyrocketing.. I mean I bought it at $90.00 cartridge only and already I've seen it for sale for cartridge only up to 230.00
Speaking for those that don't have the game, I hope it drops :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:49 pm »

Are you planning on selling it?  If not, why do you want to see the price go up?

tpugmire

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:03 am »
I bought it brand new, way back in the day for like $30.00 on clearance.  I don't understand how this game got to be so rare.  There are other games that are rarer than Earthbound, but don't command the same kind of prices.  I hope the prices go down, so that everyone can experience this great game.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com