Author Topic: Next Gen Announcement coming?  (Read 12883 times)

insektmute

Re: Next Gen Announcement coming?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »
This is exactly what I'll be doing.  Obviously both companies will have to make their case to me, the consumer, before I make a concrete decision, but I'm willing to bet that the current generation of consoles is the end of the line for me.  I'll work on filling out libraries for systems I currently own, get older consoles/handhelds I don't own, and even snag a PS3 (once it drops in price) at some point for some of its gems as well.

Funny thing is, I'm kinda OK with it. I mean, my current wishlist has literally hundreds of games on it, so it's not like I'm going to ever run out of shit to play. I can't even keep up with the games I already have, and I've wanted a PC Engine and Saturn for along time, anyway.

Or maybe I'm just getting old, omg forever alone, etc :p

sin2beta

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
Part of me wants to get it at launch. If nothing else, if everything goes digital after, this could be the last launch day console I have. Which I haven't done since the Dreamcast. It would be nice to get one last launch day experience.

Either way, I probably won't be buying many games. I'd get one and still work on the 360 for new games.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ko1ru

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:39:29 am »
This is exactly what I'll be doing.  Obviously both companies will have to make their case to me, the consumer, before I make a concrete decision, but I'm willing to bet that the current generation of consoles is the end of the line for me.  I'll work on filling out libraries for systems I currently own, get older consoles/handhelds I don't own, and even snag a PS3 (once it drops in price) at some point for some of its gems as well.

Funny thing is, I'm kinda OK with it. I mean, my current wishlist has literally hundreds of games on it, so it's not like I'm going to ever run out of shit to play. I can't even keep up with the games I already have ...

Exactly.  I'm very OK with it.  :)

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »
I don't know about a new Sega system an they are losing money going the gaming way as http://www.gamespot.com/news/sega-canceling-games-restructuring-business-6369032 . I did read somewhere they were working on controller patented and their was talk of them looking for a new logo with rings. But then again with the above part.. maybe it could happen.. As it goes this could push them into a new system or not.. Would I buy it? Of course because not only of nostalgia but because I believe in them to take this route.

As for the Other next Gen systems such as Wii-U - would like it but I don't see much of a difference other than taking Sega Dreamcast idea and making it bigger full colored and (is it touch screen as well?) the games are still the same quality and of course the games are somewhat good. Xbox series - not really heard anything on it so I'm not for sure probably will buy it and only get the games I like.. PS4 - not heard anything about it. but because of nostalgia I would probably get this one as well.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

sin2beta

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:00 pm »
I don't know about a new Sega system an they are losing money going the gaming way as http://www.gamespot.com/news/sega-canceling-games-restructuring-business-6369032 . I did read somewhere they were working on controller patented and their was talk of them looking for a new logo with rings. But then again with the above part.. maybe it could happen.. As it goes this could push them into a new system or not.. Would I buy it? Of course because not only of nostalgia but because I believe in them to take this route.

As for the Other next Gen systems such as Wii-U - would like it but I don't see much of a difference other than taking Sega Dreamcast idea and making it bigger full colored and (is it touch screen as well?) the games are still the same quality and of course the games are somewhat good. Xbox series - not really heard anything on it so I'm not for sure probably will buy it and only get the games I like.. PS4 - not heard anything about it. but because of nostalgia I would probably get this one as well.

Oh, a new Sega system is NOT happening. That part of the thread was just Sega fanboys joking around. To be honest, SEGA ended and ended well. The Dreamcast was a great one to end on. Plus, we got more closure than any other fan base with the fantastically self-referential game "Sega GaGa".

Most of SEGA's stuff isn't even coming stateside anymore. I don't know if SEGA will even be around in 10 years.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:10 pm »
yea too bad they only released it in Japanese and in Japan :(
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:36 pm »
If they were to release a Sega console, done, sold. If they did though, they would fail. Quickly.

madmax

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:06 pm »
sounds like next gen consoles are looking to implement DRM, if so they may ruin game collecting. At least, second hand game collecting.

insektmute

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 11:25:11 am »
sounds like next gen consoles are looking to implement DRM, if so they may ruin game collecting. At least, second hand game collecting.

I think it's a safe bet that any manufacturer that prevents people from playing used games will immediately fail the minute it's confirmed as 100% accurate.

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »

I think it's a safe bet that any manufacturer that prevents people from playing used games will immediately fail the minute it's confirmed as 100% accurate.

I don't know. PC gaming and Steam has been growing throughout the years. I don't like the idea of no physical media and no used games. But I have been supporting it with XBLA and product keys on software for years. People like to complain (myself included) but aren't very introspective. This is not directed at anyone. I'm as guilty as anyone else. Honestly, I love XBLA and Steam.

The PC has been that bastion of "evil" for years. Just ask Richard Stallman. There is no used market for modern PC because they are either downloaded, product keyed, or merely shrink wrapped brown sauce. But the PC gaming market has been growing.

insektmute

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »
I don't know. PC gaming and Steam has been growing throughout the years. I don't like the idea of no physical media and no used games. But I have been supporting it with XBLA and product keys on software for years. People like to complain (myself included) but aren't very introspective. This is not directed at anyone. I'm as guilty as anyone else. Honestly, I love XBLA and Steam.

That's true, but I think a key difference is that with PC gaming, it's designed to be a dynamic, evolving ecosystem. Steam will continue to be updated, and by and large, what you buy will continue to be playable, re-downloadable, centralized, and can easily be backed up or played offline. When a new version of Windows comes out, at some point, I know that there will probably be a way - even if it requires a little tweaking - to play older games. We can even still play DOS games, which is kind of remarkable.

With consoles, it's a closed ecosystem. Once new models are released, old software and hardware tends to be abandoned entirely, except in instances where "classic" games can be re-released and re-sold at a profit, but there are rarely any provisions for people who already own the original release. So for instance, I can buy a digital copy of Odin Sphere on PSN, but am prevented from playing my disc copy. I can re-buy my PSP games for Vita, but there is no adapter for UMD, and no discounts offered. I can play some Xbox games on Xbox 360, but not download any of the DLC that was previously offered, and patches appear to be strictly related to backwards compatibility, and some of the games listed (King of Fighters 02/03, etc) as working actually don't run to any playable extent. Online-centric PS2, Xbox, and DC games are basically paperweights. When the PS4/Durango/whatever are released, there's a good chance that eventually, I won't be able to re-download any DLC or games I've bought.

Ideally, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo will make an effort to ensure cross-console compatibility and consistency, but since this doesn't make them money in and of itself, and wasn't accounted for to begin with, I really don't see it happening after the fact, and I think (or hope) most gamers recognize this as a deficiency.

darko

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »
Fact: the majority of people who have the cash to throw down on a new console grew up with (and enjoy) physical media.

Fact: if the next gen consoles from MS and Sony are DL only there is going to be a HUGE demand for modified and hacked consoles and games.

Prediction: if the new consoles are DL only sales figures will come in under expectations for both the consoles and the software. Those with the money and desire will purchase the systems in the first year after release and buy fewer games as time goes on as hacking becomes easier. I'm thinking we're going to see a PSP type of situation which will sting both companies quite a bit. Sure the systems sell...just to be hacked so no one who owns one has the need to pay for games. Developers will stop supporting the systems as much and will strike deals with Nintendo for exclusives, blah blah blah.

darko

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
BTW, none of that is going to happen because the new Xbox and PS4 will both have optical drives and won't require a constant internet connection. Bandwidth restriction, intermittent connection issues and the horrible results that have come from companies trying this already (Ubisoft, anyone?) guarantee this. Also, do you really think Sony and MS are dumb enough to limit their customer base to Western Europe, the US, and several parts of Asia where consistently speedy internet is readily available to the majority of consumers? Can you imagine downloading a 20GB file on anything slower than a T1? Shit, God of War 3 is 60gb and MGS4 is 33.2. I would assume we'll see bigger games in the future. This is all hype and has very little merit. It's called common sense.

The country with the fastest average internet connection speed in 2011 was South Korea at 17.5 Mbps.

The US came in at 5.8 Mbps in the same year.

A 60gb file would take ~ 26 hours and 40 minutes @ 5 Mbps average.

Yes there is compression, but seriously. One of the biggest PS2 games was Gran Turismo 4 at ~ 8gb. God of War 3 is 7.5x bigger than GT4. 60 x 7.5 = 450gb. I'm not saying that we're going to see games at 450gb in the near future, but what about a 2 disc game at 50gb per disc? Seems reasonable. At 5 Mbps that's going to take over 44 hours to download. Really.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:39:17 pm by darko »

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:58 pm »
To begin, I pretty much agree with Darko. Nothing big will change next gen is my prediction. Physical media is a given. Moreover, blocking used games is doubtful. Everything I have read, even on rumors, seems to state that they can implement a system that will allow developers to block used games. I don't see many doing this. I could see a few trying on a game (Capcom with Resident Evil, EA with online play, etc.) The next XBOX and PS4 will look remarkably similar to the current gen in features. That is my prediction.

But, playing devil's advocate, I could easily see console manufacturers going digital only soon. I would not be surprised if the rumor that microsoft has an option of digital only is true for next gen. Lot's of countries have bandwidth caps, etc. But, looking at world wide sales figures, these regions don't seem to be big money makers. Especially when you consider that it costs money for a business presence there. Historically console manufacturers have even stayed out of these smaller market areas. Neo Geo allegedly even had a business model of "effectively" staying out of a region and profiting by writing off losses from piracy (oversimplification, but I don't want to take up too much more space). Needless to say, not pursuing a region can sometimes be more profitable.

There was a recent interview from Kempin stating that the money Microsoft makes in XBOX is primarily royalties and digital services. Even then it is a little more that break even. XBox is decent advertising for Windows and Microsoft. It is Microsoft's iPod. This was fairly transparent with the launch of the original XBox. The areas that Microsoft is really concerned with on Windows is North America, Western Europe and parts of Asia.

Ultimately, the companies are in the business of making money... they are not in the business of selling systems... just making money. Sometimes sales and profits don't go hand in hand... especially in computer sales.

sin2beta

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:07:47 am »
Larry Hryb posted a link to an interesting experiment to see what game sites will publish. A guy sent out an email claiming he worked for microsoft and had insider information. Sites published and then leached off of each other.

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/