Author Topic: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?  (Read 8291 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:29 am »
I do feel a bit like the pot calling the kettle black about it because my collection isn't exactly tiny, but I could genuinely tell you a little bit about each of them.

Yeah - I think that this little piece right here, though...makes all the difference :)

Not just stories about the games & series themselves -but- I'd bet that for ~90% of my entire collection that I'd still remember the 'story' and/or situations & circumstances of buying, getting, tracking-down, *amazing* garage-sale-finds (Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition SEALED for 50 cents, anyone), satisfaction w/ good deals & people/dis-satisfaction, anger, and frustration at not-so-good deals and people, etc...

I'd go so far as to say that it's these memories, *Connections* & *Associations* concerning the *provenance* ("back-stories") of my slowly-built, piece-by-piece collection that matter & contribute MORE to *MY* enjoyment of my hobby than the actual, accumulated little physical pieces of plastic & paper that have filled-up my shelves & closets over the years...regardless of how rare/valuable certain of those pages & pieces of plastic have become  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
I do feel a bit like the pot calling the kettle black about it because my collection isn't exactly tiny, but bar a few of my Chinese games I could genuinely tell you a little bit about each of them.

I try to keep my buying down to games that I either want to try, have played and like, or had at one point before the dreaded garage sale (one and only) where I sold off some of my games I had when I was younger. My OCD about having good cases for my Genesis games, and the fact that if I find a Sega CD or Saturn game in good condition I can't resist, has gotten me a few iffy titles. I also used to think I wanted a complete US NES collection. I've also purchased several lots that blessed me with some sports games and whatnot that I wouldn't otherwise own. Other than that, most of my collection is comprised of games I would rate between 7-10 (at least according to my preferences).

I've been toying with the idea of limiting the number of games I own by system. For instance, no more than 100 GBA games, 50 GameCube games,  etc etc etc.

I totally understand wanting a complete collection for one console, but since I collect for so many, it's something I doubt I'll ever seriously try to accomplish.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:54:30 am by darko »

ffxik

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 03:23:40 pm »
This may be awe inspiring.  I can at least say that my collection is definitely smaller.  Though 99% is stuff I like to play, and not just sitting in cabinets and on shelves collecting dust.  My collection is for show and play not just for show.  Still is impressive though.

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 08:16:35 pm »
I'm going to agree with ffxik I wouldn't really like a big collection like this if I didn't even play with half of it.. Though I do have some games that came with lot sales that no one would buy like mostly sport games...not hating but if I want to play sports I would be outside not in my room pretending I'm some great athlete.....
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

jcalder8

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:27 pm »
I do feel a bit like the pot calling the kettle black about it because my collection isn't exactly tiny, but I could genuinely tell you a little bit about each of them.

Yeah - I think that this little piece right here, though...makes all the difference :)

Not just stories about the games & series themselves -but- I'd bet that for ~90% of my entire collection that I'd still remember the 'story' and/or situations & circumstances of buying, getting, tracking-down, *amazing* garage-sale-finds (Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition SEALED for 50 cents, anyone), satisfaction w/ good deals & people/dis-satisfaction, anger, and frustration at not-so-good deals and people, etc...

I'd go so far as to say that it's these memories, *Connections* & *Associations* concerning the *provenance* ("back-stories") of my slowly-built, piece-by-piece collection that matter & contribute MORE to *MY* enjoyment of my hobby than the actual, accumulated little physical pieces of plastic & paper that have filled-up my shelves & closets over the years...regardless of how rare/valuable certain of those pages & pieces of plastic have become  8)
In comparison to a fair number of people here I do have a larger collection and I can tell you about 95-98% of them. I track when/where/how much I bought each item for and even without my list in front of me I can almost always tell you where I bought it, roughly how much it was and around the time that it was purchased.

foxhack

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »
I get flashbacks whenever I'm on the hunt. "Oh hey, I bought this game here years ago."

theflea

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:02 am »
And people think I have have a big collection. lol

Love those cabinets, must have hit up some store going out of business. Must have cost a fortune buying all those. I personally wouldn't know where to put those in my game room. But still love them.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

jcalder8

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »
And people think I have have a big collection. lol

Love those cabinets, must have hit up some store going out of business. Must have cost a fortune buying all those. I personally wouldn't know where to put those in my game room. But still love them.

It depends, I got mine for I think 125 each

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 11:39:30 pm »
I remember where I buy the games.. it is just a few that slip my mind ever so often....
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

ffxik

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 02:44:37 am »
It's funny youtube suggested those videoes to me yesterday, However if I want my collection to feel small I think I'll just stick with AlphaOmegaSin's Wall of Playstation

I wondered if Alpha would show up actually.  For those of you guys that don't know him check out some of his rants.  They are pretty good.  He holds nothing back, good or bad.  Sometimes ill-informed but nobodies perfect.  I would like to mention he's NSFW unless with a headset.  He tends to drop f-bombs at the rate of 1942's Germany on Europe.

Has he ever said how many games he has? I'm subscribed to his channel and I always thought he and I were on a similar collection plain.

Makes two of us.  I don't believe he has put up a number.  Not even a ball park figure.  I thought he and I weren't too terribly far apart.  Until I seen his room tour.  I stood corrected, big time.  If I had to guess I would say batting 2000+ easy.

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 03:52:32 pm »
So I talked to this kid who made the videos after we were all taking guesses at how old he may be....turns out he's 20. Pretty large collection for a 20 year old. Well, not according to some people....  ::)
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
So I talked to this kid who made the videos after we were all taking guesses at how old he may be....turns out he's 20. Pretty large collection for a 20 year old. Well, not according to some people....  ::)
hah, I knew it. This makes me wish my parents were more supportive of my hobby and did this sort of thing :(

jcalder8

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:09 pm »
hah, I knew it. This makes me wish my parents were more supportive of my hobby and did this sort of thing :(
I'm glad that I am responsible for my own collection.

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »
My parents always enabled and encouraged me to play computer and console games :D

foxhack

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »
Mine forced me to get rid of most of my PC game boxes several years ago.