Author Topic: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?  (Read 8292 times)

pacpix

Re: Want to feel like a really, really small collector?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »
I used dollar store headphones for a long time.  Upgraded to ten dollar Walmart ones a while back, it sounds a lot better ha :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 06:37:24 pm »
His collection doesn't seem very big to me... :/

Please tell me you are joking right?

Here's my take on it: I think the collection is absolutely amazing and very impressive for one person to have amassed. Also, I think some of you are undervaluing just how much that whole collection might have cost the guy. I'm gonna guess he's  got a solid 50 to 75k into it. And the time....ohhh the time. Even if he just sat and pressed "Buy-it-now" on ebay again and again, there's a considerable amount of effort that would have to be consumed to get to this stage. I don't envy the guy, but I certainly respect what he's put together there.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

sin2beta

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »

Here's my take on it: I think the collection is absolutely amazing and very impressive for one person to have amassed. Also, I think some of you are undervaluing just how much that whole collection might have cost the guy. I'm gonna guess he's  got a solid 50 to 75k into it. And the time....ohhh the time. Even if he just sat and pressed "Buy-it-now" on ebay again and again, there's a considerable amount of effort that would have to be consumed to get to this stage. I don't envy the guy, but I certainly respect what he's put together there.

I get the feeling this guy got everything on the cheap. I also think the displays make the collection look bigger than it is. Although it is still a big collection

There is a point where he mentions that he is trying to get all the Myst games. If he was spending money, he could get all of the myst games. He has a LOT of the games that you can easily get in trades and from flea markets.

A lot of the boxes (the konami laser scope for example) have gashes and such that make it look like flea market finds or things purchased on the cheap.

I bet he has spent a lot. But I saw nothing that would be mega expensive except a few pieces of hardware. No new systems. It is quite possible that his budget is less than a modern gamer buying new releases. Watching his pickups videos, he definitely digs around for cheap buys in the wild, does trades, etc.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

darko

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:29 pm »
I'm gonna guess he's  got a solid 50 to 75k into it.

You really think so? I was guessing he was probably between $20k and $40k deep. I don't know how much things like display cases and pre-NES boxed systems cost. Either way, I'm impressed with his collection as well.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »

Not joking at all... His collection doesn't seem all that much larger than mine.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but whatever...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:04:34 pm by pceslayer »

foxhack

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
Flak for giving your own estimate of the value of a person's collection? Please. :P

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »
Flak for giving your own estimate of the value of a person's collection? Please. :P
Not on its value, but on actual quantity of stuff...

He does have an impressive amount of CIB consoles I'll give him that.

tripredacus

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »
I don't have a large collection of anything I don't think. I'm in all the hobby communities I participate in and I have seen other people's stuff. As far as video games go, without seeing Adol's auction last year, as well as that 500k auction from the past day or so, I already knew I had a small collection. I got into it late and like one of my others (Transformers) I've already had sold off stuff.

ffxik

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »
It's funny youtube suggested those videoes to me yesterday, However if I want my collection to feel small I think I'll just stick with AlphaOmegaSin's Wall of Playstation

I wondered if Alpha would show up actually.  For those of you guys that don't know him check out some of his rants.  They are pretty good.  He holds nothing back, good or bad.  Sometimes ill-informed but nobodies perfect.  I would like to mention he's NSFW unless with a headset.  He tends to drop f-bombs at the rate of 1942's Germany on Europe.

darko

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 12:24:20 am »
It's funny youtube suggested those videoes to me yesterday, However if I want my collection to feel small I think I'll just stick with AlphaOmegaSin's Wall of Playstation

I wondered if Alpha would show up actually.  For those of you guys that don't know him check out some of his rants.  They are pretty good.  He holds nothing back, good or bad.  Sometimes ill-informed but nobodies perfect.  I would like to mention he's NSFW unless with a headset.  He tends to drop f-bombs at the rate of 1942's Germany on Europe.

Has he ever said how many games he has? I'm subscribed to his channel and I always thought he and I were on a similar collection plain.

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:57 am »
Whenever I see these huge collections, I can never quite shake the feeling that most of them are all about quantity over quality. I never get the sense that I'm looking at the collection of someone with discerning taste, or someone who views it like a curator, bringing together what they personally consider to be the best of the best.

People can buy whatever they want obviously, it's just weird to me.

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw shelves full of cart-only NES games - that's the sort of thing you buy by the box at flea markets. I'd much rather have a guy enthuse about a "small" (say, 50-ish games) Super Famicom collection and be able to tell me a little something about every game than this sort of "Look at the volume of games I own! I own lots of things!" type.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:08 am »
Whenever I see these huge collections, I can never quite shake the feeling that most of them are all about quantity over quality. I never get the sense that I'm looking at the collection of someone with discerning taste, or someone who views it like a curator, bringing together what they personally consider to be the best of the best.

People can buy whatever they want obviously, it's just weird to me.

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw shelves full of cart-only NES games - that's the sort of thing you buy by the box at flea markets. I'd much rather have a guy enthuse about a "small" (say, 50-ish games) Super Famicom collection and be able to tell me a little something about every game than this sort of "Look at the volume of games I own! I own lots of things!" type.

So much of what Kimimi said!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:18 am »
I do feel a bit like the pot calling the kettle black about it because my collection isn't exactly tiny, but bar a few of my Chinese games I could genuinely tell you a little bit about each of them.

scott

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:16 am »
I do feel a bit like the pot calling the kettle black about it because my collection isn't exactly tiny, but bar a few of my Chinese games I could genuinely tell you a little bit about each of them.

Ya. I feel like I could give info about most of the games I own. Except the ones I got in trade from my buddy for the arcade cab. Or maybe most of my Saturn games that were purchased to fill holes.

But then again. I could talk a lot about series like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Assassin's Creed, (maybe) Persona and a few others.

My recent decision to stick closer to my likes, rather than build a complete release list dedicated to a specific console. Is partly due to the fact that I'd rather have stuff I can talk about knowledgeably and stick with games I actually enjoy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:55 am »
Exactly, there's no skill in spending money but being able to talk about a collection that's personal to you is another matter.