Author Topic: Moon Crystal  (Read 1852 times)

nintendojuggalo

Moon Crystal
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:56 pm »
Would the unreleased NES be allowed to be added to the list?

jcalder8

Re: Moon Crystal
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »
Has it been released as homebrew?

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »
If it's been released on cart... yes.

If all you have is a rom, no.

nintendojuggalo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
It's a cart. I have a picture and I own it.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:49 pm »
Wait. "Unreleased"? As far as I know, someone made a translation patch for the Japanese game. I haven't heard of a legit US proto version.

darko

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:48 am »
When I've made entries for translated games in the past I simply put it as "unreleased"...implying that it was unreleased in the region for which I have the game. Makes sense to me.

The only other classification that sounds right would be "unofficial release" but that sounds more like a tengen game or something, at least IMO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:35:55 am by darko »

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »
When I've made entries for translated games in the past I simply put it as "unreleased"...implying that it was unreleased in the region for which I have the game. Makes sense to me.

The only other classification that sounds right would be "unofficial release" but that sounds more like a tengen game or something, at least IMO.
Unofficial is used for stuff like Tengen games (unlicensed stuff) or repro carts, with the exception of homebrewed games (those are homebrewed :p).

darko

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »
So, playing the devil's advocate here, you're basically saying that the only thing that would fit in unreleased would be a proto...so why not just change it to prototype? Seems like it would solve more potential issues than not.

Common sense kind of swings me to my thinking that a translation of a released game would fall more closely in line with the unreleased category as it was technically released, albeit in another language. I'm obviously not talking about a rom hack that changed characters, etc, etc, etc as that would potentially change the game entirely.

I don't really care either way, just something to consider.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:50:24 pm by darko »

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
So, playing the devil's advocate here, you're basically saying that the only thing that would fit in unreleased would be a proto...so why not just change it to prototype? Seems like it would solve more potential issues than not.

Common sense kind of swings me to my thinking that a translation of a released game would fall more closely in line with the unreleased category as it was technically released, albeit in another language. I'm obviously not talking about a rom hack that changed characters, etc, etc, etc as that would potentially change the game entirely.

I don't really care either way, just something to consider.
(Edit)

Know what, I don't know why those options are even there. Discuss this with matt and scott.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:55:11 pm by foxhack »

scott

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
Kinda like how the genres are currently set up. These were thrown together as we were going. Personally I don't know why unreleased is even there. Since we aren't tracking games that were in development and were cancelled or anything.

I'd be game for changing it to Prototype instead, since there are protos floating around that people collect.

It's all part of the growing pains, ha. We'll get something figured out.  :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

nintendojuggalo

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:36 pm »
I wouldn't consider it a prototype considering the fact that it is a finished game. Originally Moon Crystal was to have a USA release, but it was cancelled.

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »
That's what we call prototypes, like the Earth Bound (NES) ones which were also finished versions of the game.

nintendojuggalo

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:09 pm »
Pretty cool. Think it could be added soon?

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »
That's what we call prototypes, like the Earth Bound (NES) ones which were also finished versions of the game.
But it was never officially released. It was only released as a repro cart. Those should never be added as protos.

jobocan

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:31 pm »
Oh okay, the way he was talking about it I thought he meant an actual prototype... That would have been quite the find :P