Author Topic: Bad PS4  (Read 5805 times)

insektmute

Re: Bad PS4
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:27 pm »
I'm not sure size itself is necessarily the problem, since all these companies have always been relatively huge, so much as that when a large company makes a strong shift in their approach and focus, it not only takes forever to get everyone aligned, but even longer to recover when they fuck up. IF they can.

Square-Enix could've easily used the start of this gen to rebound in a big way, but instead, gave us a FF game that is arguably the worst in the series, two sequels that nobody asked for, and a general feeling that if they did properly revive series like Parasite Eve, they'd screw them up so badly that we'd rather they just not even try.

Same deal with SNK. They needed to launch with something on the level of XIII, but floundered for years with a slew of aimless ports, bad netcode, the debacle of XII, a 3D Samurai Shodown, and a bunch of pachislot crap that's probably the only thing keeping their lights on.

I could rant for awhile, but it boils down to management and marketing strategies drummed up by jerkoffs with business and finance degrees who think they know how to make games better than the people they've hired to actually make the damn things. That's always been a factor, but the sad part is how obvious it is in the games themselves over the past few years.

I mean, someone at Capcom seriously thought staffing 600 PEOPLE on Resident Evil 6 was a solid plan.

sin2beta

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:29 pm »
I'm not sure size itself is necessarily the problem, since all these companies have always been relatively huge, so much as that when a large company makes a strong shift in their approach and focus, it not only takes forever to get everyone aligned, but even longer to recover when they fuck up. IF they can.

I don't know. If you look at the very early days of the companies, they definitely were pretty small. Especially relatively. In 1985 Nintendo was possibly smaller than Atari. Nintendo of America was definitely smaller than INTV even. In Game Over by David Sheff, it's detailed how the Nintendo employees made most of the promo materials for the New York test launch by hand, etc. Nintendo of Japan wasn't even THAT big. After all, at that time video games were pretty much dead. If they failed, Nintendo did not change. It's honestly pretty interesting how small a lot of these companies really are.

I agree with the second part of your statement. But Nintendo was not always huge. Sega very much was not a big company except for a tiny portion of its life. Every company starts small. This also tends to be the creative and most loved part of their life. At least as I've seen it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

darko

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:02 pm »
I could rant for awhile, but it boils down to management and marketing strategies drummed up by jerkoffs with business and finance degrees who think they know how to make games better than the people they've hired to actually make the damn things.

I have an accounting degree and a finance minor, can I make a game? (I'm actually already doing it :)))

insektmute

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
I don't know. If you look at the very early days of the companies, they definitely were pretty small. Especially relatively. In 1985 Nintendo was possibly smaller than Atari. Nintendo of America was definitely smaller than INTV even. In Game Over by David Sheff, it's detailed how the Nintendo employees made most of the promo materials for the New York test launch by hand, etc. Nintendo of Japan wasn't even THAT big. After all, at that time video games were pretty much dead. If they failed, Nintendo did not change. It's honestly pretty interesting how small a lot of these companies really are.

I agree with the second part of your statement. But Nintendo was not always huge. Sega very much was not a big company except for a tiny portion of its life. Every company starts small. This also tends to be the creative and most loved part of their life. At least as I've seen it.

Tough to say, really. I know a lot of the companies back then had an almost recklessly amateur approach in a lot of ways, but it's difficult to gauge size based on that, especially when even SNK was once considered fairly successful. I think there was even an SNK amusement park at one point o.O

You're probably right in terms of sheer scale, though. I suspect now, most of the biggest ones have upwards of 10,000 employees (er, not SNK though, lol), which was probably not happening much in the 80's and early-mid 90's. I can't help thinking some of them could learn a thing or two from their own history.

insektmute

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
I have an accounting degree and a finance minor, can I make a game? (I'm actually already doing it :)))

Hey, at least you play video games. That's more than a lot of these guys can claim!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »

NICE!

I didn't know that you'd already been working on a game of your own, Darko...what kind of game are you making?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »
Embezzlement simulator.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
Embezzlement simulator.

Whatever gave you the idea that it was *only* a "Simulator"?!

I'd think that Darko would make an application like that with more irl features  :o

tl;dr

*Simulation* (IMHO) would take all of the fun out of the *embezzlement* part  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:49 am »
hah, shaves off a every other penny that you pay on any console or online purchases on pc....
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

sin2beta

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:06 pm »
hah, shaves off a every other penny that you pay on any console or online purchases on pc....

... didn't they do that in Superman 3?

Now where is that swingline stapler.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c