Author Topic: Overpraised Movies  (Read 7148 times)

ffxik

Re: Overpraised Movies
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:06 pm »
I like a lot of 80's-mid 90's action movies.  They didn't need to make sense, just entertain.

I still think Aliens, Predator, and Conan the Barbarian are totally amazing. I don't think many share my love of Bloodsport, though :(

I friggin love Bloodsport.   8)

scott

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 11:21:04 pm »
LOVE Bloodsport here as well! That movie was kick ass, when we were kids we had it taped and wore the tape out watching it so much.

When the one dude gets his leg broken and the bone pops out. That was one of the moments that made me love conventional special effects.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »
I'm going to expose my snobbery a bit here, but I consider American films in general to be pretty overrated and sub-par. Virtually no grasp of subtlety, unnatural dialog that comes off more as a series of proclamations and sound bites ("You can't handle the truth!"), formulaic plotting, a constant need to spell out every single little detail, non-existent emotional depth... the last 10 years or so have been particularly bad, especially now that everyone's fixated on trying to remake and whitewash foreign films.

We've had our share of exceptional films over the years, and there's still the rare standout, but for the most part, it's been a pretty steady deluge of disingenuous crap.

3 words for you: Lost in Translation

My favorite movie of all time.

Also made in America:

Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Royal Tennenbaums (Or almost everything directed by Wes Anderson)
Blood Simple (Or almost everything directed by the Cohen brothers)
Etc...

Lost in Translation is FANTASTIC. It is in my top 5.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »

Also made in America:

Donnie Darko
Etc...

I wouldn't rate it quite that high, but it's definitely a favorite, as are the others Darko mentioned... with the exception of Donnie Darko. Loved it the first time I saw it, but it just hasn't held up for me.

Did either of you see The Science of Sleep? I actually liked that even more than Eternal Sunshine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:43:48 pm by insektmute »

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:21 am »

Also made in America:

Donnie Darko
Etc...

I wouldn't rate it quite that high, but it's definitely a favorite, as are the others Darko mentioned... with the exception of Donnie Darko. Loved it the first time I saw it, but it just hasn't held up for me.

Did either of you see The Science of Sleep? I actually liked that even more than Eternal Sunshine.

loved the science of sleep

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:43 am »
I like a lot of 80's-mid 90's action movies.  They didn't need to make sense, just entertain.

I still think Aliens, Predator, and Conan the Barbarian are totally amazing. I don't think many share my love of Bloodsport, though :(

There's a reason those movies are on TBS all the time.
Someone I work with made a pretty awesome comment about the Oscars and award winning movies.  "In 10 years when you're flipping through the channels, which movie are you going to stop on: The Dark Knight Rises or Argo?" 

People can say what they want about blockbuster movies being shit, but there's a reason they make bajillions of dollars.  Movies are made to entertain.  I'll take Happy Gilmore over Gone With the Wind any day.

And Bloodsport is awesome.

insektmute

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 12:35:47 pm »
Action and horror movies - easily two of the most criminally underrated, overlooked genres on the planet because they aren't overtly artistic or "deep" enough. The 70's and 80's are a freaking goldmine.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

BLASPHEMY!!! The 80s produced some of the greatest action movies off all-time:

-Aliens
-The Beastmaster
-Back to the Future Trilogy
-Conan the Barbarian & The Destroyer
-The Empire Strikes Back
-Ghostbusters 1 & 2
-The Lost Boys
-Terminator
-Predator
-Return of the Jedi
-Universal Soldier

And I could go on and on.

htimreimer

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
i'm gonna quickly address those other movies i talk about

blair witch project (82% on rt): nothing happens in this movie, it 79 minutes of walking around,vary little character development and occasionally something scares cast but not audience because it doesn't show the scares

back to the future (97% on rt):its not a bad film but its not this end all be all of film ,its a silly family film with time travel plot, it has a few quotable lines and one or two memorable characters and most of the praise that this movie gets come from rose colored glasses

dark knight rises (87% on rt): i agree with most of what this guy says, so watch this video

ffxik

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »

-Aliens
-The Beastmaster
-The Empire Strikes Back
-Ghostbusters 1 & 2
-The Lost Boys
-Terminator
-Predator
-Return of the Jedi
-Universal Soldier

I never blasphemed.  80's through to the mid 90's were the best.  After that, it went down hill.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »

-Aliens
-The Beastmaster
-The Empire Strikes Back
-Ghostbusters 1 & 2
-The Lost Boys
-Terminator
-Predator
-Return of the Jedi
-Universal Soldier

I never blasphemed.  80's through to the mid 90's were the best.  After that, it went down hill.

Yeah, after re-reading that, I realize I misread that. For some reason my brain thought you were saying they were overpraised.

The Star Trek movies should be on my list, too, BTW.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »
I much as I think it's a good series, Star Wars is very overrated to me. I can't understand why people love it so much. It's alright, but not something that I think should be praised as much as it is.

soera

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
The original movies were awesome for the time they were released. Even now its tough to tell it wasnt made later in time. The newer movies, however, are pathetic and just a waste of film. All that was wanted was to suck some more out of the name and it did just that .. suck.

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »

blair witch project (82% on rt): nothing happens in this movie, it 79 minutes of walking around,vary little character development and occasionally something scares cast but not audience because it doesn't show the scares

back to the future (97% on rt):its not a bad film but its not this end all be all of film ,its a silly family film with time travel plot, it has a few quotable lines and one or two memorable characters and most of the praise that this movie gets come from rose colored glasses

dark knight rises (87% on rt): i agree with most of what this guy says, so watch this video

Overall, I agree. Although it has been so long since I saw the Blair Witch Project that I can't comment on it. However, I don't remember it being good.

For Back to the Future, I view it as one of my favorite movies, but not because it is a particularly good movie. It is good. But more than that, it embodies an entire genre of movies that existed only in the 80s. Seriously, we just don't get those movies any more (Super 8 was pretty close in that it was a love letter to these movies).

I really liked the Dark Knight Rises. However, I am not too sure how well it will age. Most superhero movies don't. But I think it gets the same acclaim that Return of the King did. It may not be the best of the movies. But it wrapped up a very good and celebrated (rightfully imo) trilogy.

I also have to put Batman in the context that Bruce Campbell put superhero movies in... they are B movies. It does not matter what the budget is, it is about a dude who dresses in an animal-inspired suit to fight crime. That's a B movie. It isn't Citizen Kane, nor is it trying to be. It is a B action movie, and it does this job exceedingly well.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 08:14:19 pm »

For Back to the Future, I view it as one of my favorite movies, but not because it is a particularly good movie. It is good. But more than that, it embodies an entire genre of movies that existed only in the 80s. Seriously, we just don't get those movies any more (Super 8 was pretty close in that it was a love letter to these movies).
but other then what you said, what else dose it do, how dose it elevate the family & time travel films be on what it was at the time?