Author Topic: Games or Franchises that need a sequel.  (Read 7962 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Games or Franchises that need a sequel.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
My gripe with Sega is the same one I have with a lot of Japanese companies right now, which is that they're tossing internal development aside in favor of hiring third parties to do more Western-style games. There's a conscious effort to steer away from things that might be construed as "too Japanese" because they all want a taste of the kind of sales figures that series like Call of Duty can pull down, and this sentiment is heavily reinforced by US and European gaming sites.

Sega seems to have a particular affinity for sending their games off to die, though. Just look at Valkyria Chronicles.

I don't think that's true - they're still producing *very* "Japanese style" games, they're just keeping them in Japan. Hatsune Miku anything, Shining series, Sangokushi Taisen,  etc. Valkyria Chronicles didn't "go off to die", Sega put it on the format with the best sales-to-dev-cost in Japan. Falcom didn't release all their games on PSP by accident, it's (still!) a significant and profitable format in Japan.

As for Shenmue... I don't have a lot of sympathy for Yu Suzuki on that one. He farted around for years on it (this video alone proves that he'd already got up to Shenmue 2 on the Saturn) and spent millions, if the rumours are to be believed to the point where every Dreamcast owner needed to buy multiple copies for the game to break even. Sega's support for the game can't be faulted IMO, but you can't blame them for not funding Shenmue 3 when history proves that it would have been cheaper for them to flush $10,000,000 down the toilet than make another Shenmue.

We aren't using Dreamcasts anymore, though. A game like Shenmue was a rare thing back then. Using the graphics, voice-actors, and music that was required for Shenmue back then, is common practice today and much easier to achieve on modern systems. I really don't think it would cost nearly as much today as it did then.

sin2beta

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:05 pm »
True.

But both Sega and Yu Suzuki's company are not spending money on games much anymore. Well, apparently SEGA paid for Borderlands 2... but I think the cost is a different magnitude due to Yu Suzuki no longer being with SEGA.

Unless if SEGA and Suzuki work out a development/publishing deal...
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

blipcs76

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
I was thinking about creating this very thread when I popped in today:

- Chakan
A great concept that could be great if reinvented for modern consoles

- Castlevania SOTN
Needs an honest 2D console sequel.  I'm tired of squinting through 2D Castlevania games on handhelds.

- Altered Beast
Reimagined as a 3rd person action game in the vein of Ninja Gaiden or DMC. 

- Final Fight/Double Dragon/Streets of Rage
These series could reinvent the beat-em-up genre they defined.

- Maniac Mansion/DOTT
Point and click adventures are still relevant these days -- look at what Telltale has managed to achieve in this formerly dead genre.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
Otogi 3,
Brutal Legend 2
Psychonauts 2
a new Jet set Radio
and a new Evil Dead game need to happen

insektmute

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 06:11:44 pm »
I started Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, and while I'm not sure I'll stick with it, I couldn't help but be reminded:

Where the hell is Valkyrie Profile 3? It's been 7 years since that series had a core game!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »
I just wanted to raise this thread back from the dead.  We have lots of new folks these days, and I'd like to give them a chance to chime in. 

A few I'd like to see:

A new 2D Metroid
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Contra 5

argyle

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »
Dark Cloud - probably my most wanted, I would kill for a Dark Cloud 3!

Asura's Wrath - one of the many hidden gems from last gen, there's nothing else quite like this over-the-top game and I've love to see some sort of follow up to it.

Suikoden - Suikoden V was one of the best games in the franchise, and then they just quit. I know turn-based RPGs don't have the market they once did, but I think there's still a pretty big audience for them.

Onimusha - C'mon Capcom, what gives?  ::)

Rock 'n Roll Racing - OK Blizzard, you've put out your first console game in a long, long time now. It's time to go ahead & follow that up with a sequel to one of the greatest racing games ever. LET THE CARNAGE BEGIN!  ;D

Ghost Trick - My favorite DS games deserves a sequel. Please!?!?  :-[
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »
Onimusha - C'mon Capcom, what gives?  ::)

They're Capcom.

What's ironic is that Capcom used to get so much crap for milking franchises to death. Now fans are getting upset that they aren't making the sequels they want to see.

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »
I didn't read every response so idk if anyone said it, but I'd love more shining force games regardless if they went the action or tactics route for them. I loved every one I've played and i played 1 and 2 on genesis and neo and exa on ps2.

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »
Okami - The game back in the PS2 era was essentially made to be done on the Wii U now.  I never played the handheld spinoff, but I loved the original.

Banjo-Kazooie - I feel the 3D platformer genre has mostly died off these days and it would be great to see a proper return of the fun, colorful, 3D platforming that BK use to do.  Parts of that was in Nuts & Bolts, but the main chunk of that game was racing and building and not proper world exploring.  Conker can be included in this and it was a weird mix of excitement and disappointment when Conker showed up for Project Sparx on Xbone lol

Brutal Legend - I'm happy to see it was brought up already, but I LOVED this game.  It had it's issues with the RTS aspect of the game, but I loved the setting, I loved the music, I want endless games from this world.  I want Brutal Legend 2 through 10 right now!

Mega Man Legends - We almost got it, but sadly no.

Fallout - I know it's coming eventually, but I REALLY want it lol

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 11:19:40 pm »
Timesplitters
New "Crono" RPG
NCAA Football & Basketball series (won't happen)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:26:57 pm by sibbs »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 11:36:00 pm »
Timesplitters
New "Crono" RPG

I got waaaayy into the Ultimate Alliance games. Heck yeah we need another one of those. Good call.

maximo310

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:25 am »
Timesplitters
New "Crono" RPG
I still can't believe that SE hasn't made a third in the series, considering how many love the games in the series. The one time that got close to actually happens was when that team of people were making Chrono Resurrection for the Gamecube, unforuntately SE did the cease and desist order on that fan project for trademark and copyright issues. It really does suck because SE hasn't really responded or done much to many of their fans' claims for remakes that could be done on a decent budget such as remakes/sequels for many of their ps1/ps2 ips, and well as the ps1 final fantasies but they seem too focused right now on putting as much money into getting maximum sales from their current flagship series which is going to continue to hurt them if they keep doing this.

spac316

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 12:30:43 am »
Psychonauts
Super Mario RPG -there have been successors like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games but yeah, I would like to see a direct follow up.
Shenmue
Beyond Good & Evil
Phantasy Star...mainly a 5th installment and not spin-offs.
Jet set radio
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:33:13 am by spac316 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:02 pm »
Timesplitters
New "Crono" RPG

I got waaaayy into the Ultimate Alliance games. Heck yeah we need another one of those. Good call.

I LOVED the first one. I HATED that they took out a lot of the RPG-elements in the 2nd one, though.