Author Topic: Majesco  (Read 2095 times)

Majesco
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:36 pm »
You know that company that makes those shitty re-released games? Should we add them as separate entries?

Honestly, I don't know much about Majesco, but they manufactured low quality SNES and Genesis games and re-released them for all of us to buy! There are usually some obvious differences that distinguish them from the original releases. In my collection, my Majesco SNES games all appear to be Made in Mexico (vs. Made in Japan), have black-and-white manuals, different labels on the back of the carts, and the Majesco name on the box. It's easy to tell that they are made from cheap plastic. In one case, the back label in imprinted into the cart, so really there is no label at all.  They also manufactured the Genesis Model 3, and I believe they re-released the Game Gear.

Avoid them! You don't want to buy the Majesco Super Castelvania IV with nice black-and-white manual do you?

scott

Re: Majesco
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:28:11 pm »
But, but. They published Nanostray for the ds and A Boy and His Blob on Wii! Also, are you certain they reissued Super Castlevania IV? Seems like it would be doubtful Konami would ever let that happen.

You make it sound as if they are pure knock off artists, when the Genesis 3 and Game Gear were licensed products. Ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
@scott i'm not sure what you're trying to tell me with this reply. look them up. they manufactured SNES and Genesis games (maybe others), and everything i have come across of theirs during this time period has been of shitty quality. apparently, they are now developing/publishing some good games. last, the genesis 3 compared to the genesis 1 or 2 is garbage.

here is the first page that google brought up: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34151 .

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:20:36 pm »
blah.. edit:

I think we should have separate entries.  We have entries for both 3 screw and 5 screw NES games.  Majescos reprint boxes, instructions, AND cartridges all have variant qualities.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »
@monochrome thanks, that's what i was looking for.

i also think we should list the super nes ones that have black-and-white manuals as separate entries, but i'm not completely sure. that's what i'm wondering, and that's why i started this thread.

scott

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »
What I'm saying is the way you worded it it makes it sound like they were a bunch of con-men, ha. When in reality, they were re-released licensed budget titles, ala' Player's Choice versions, kind of like how Sunsoft was responsible for re-releasing the Final Fantasy Legend series for Game Boy. That being said, since they are official re-releases they should prolly be listed as any variant game would be, like, "Super Castlevania IV (Majesco Re-Release)" with a description of the back of the cart in the "description field" of the game info pages. Kinda like how "Final Fantasy Legend II (Sunsoft Re-Release)" is listed.

Also, It would turn out I have the Majesco release of both Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV. bummer. I wouldn't fully agree that they are of "low quality".  I have never, ever had a problem with the playability of either cart. They still play like new and I've not had a single issue with either of them. I bought Mega Man X brand new when I was a kid.

scott

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:26 pm »
BUT, I have a complete, Original version of Castlevania: Bloodlines AND my Dracula X cart is original too. yay....

Edit: Scratch that... my Dracula X was made in mexico.... Looks like I know which games are my first 2 purchases when I start going for my Boxed Castlevania set... :'(

Edit: Hmm, looks like Dracula X may have actually been assembled in Mexico. Every picture I see has a color book and the label says made in mexico, and it has the label on the back. No sign of the words Majesco on the box or anything.

I will also say, its times like these, when I am sad I've learned all the "secrets" of game manufacturing. I was perfectly content thinking I had always owned an original Mega Man X cartridge. haha.

scott

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:43 am »
@andrew do you know if there is a list of Majesco re-released carts floating around anywhere? We should prolly get them added asap.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »
Regarding Majesco's manufacturing quality, I didn't even know my Majesco carts were different until I added them to My Collection; I was sorting through my games and noticed some differences. Some of my carts are appear normal, but Clayfighter for instance looks and feels cheap (the front label especially).

I will also say, its times like these, when I am sad I've learned all the "secrets" of game manufacturing. I was perfectly content thinking I had always owned an original Mega Man X cartridge. haha.

Let's delete this thread and all will be well.

@andrew do you know if there is a list of Majesco re-released carts floating around anywhere? We should prolly get them added asap.

Unfortunately, no, but I would be interested in trying to compile one in a new thread.

Edit: To clarify, I don't know whether or not there are any complete lists; I have only found partial lists.