Author Topic: Newer releases and their (lack of) paperwork.  (Read 3104 times)

scott

Newer releases and their (lack of) paperwork.
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »
Hey all. In light of the lack of paperwork in a lot of newer games (I'm looking at you Vita, EOIV and others).  I think we are going to need to make sure we list the inserts of newer games as accurately as possible.

For example, I just cracked open my copy of Castlevania: Mirror of Fate and it has no manual, but it does have the Club Nintendo code and a Konami Core code flyer in it. From a collector standpoint,  I would want go know that a CIB copy lacks the manual, so it wouldn't lead to a fruitless search.

Thoughts?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

Re: Newer releases and their (lack of) paperwork.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
I hate the fact that they are pretty much eliminating manuals. I think for games that didn't come with one you could just make note of it in the description.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
Yeah, it sucks. It just feels like you're getting less for your money. And manuals were the perfect size to flip through while on the can. Now I'll have to go back to comics on the John.

insektmute

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:59 pm »
Definitely makes me miss the days when you'd open the box up, and all sorts of nifty stuff would come pouring out. Even worse than the lack of a manual, though? Those obnoxious recycled cases that have HUGE HOLES cut out of them, so the whole thing is flimsy as hell. Microsoft seems to be especially hellbent on pushing them, but I really hope it doesn't become the trend for everyone.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »
Yeah I hate that too, I know it's pretty nerdy but I like looking through the manual especially since a lot of the time there is/used to be really helpful info or hints. I also don't like what Nintendo is doing with the recycled cases. I know it's good or whatever for the earth but they feel so cheap, and is it just me or do those cases seem like harder to open?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:21:34 am by kingrat101 »

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
And now you know how we PC players felt all those years ago.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:09 pm »
Yeah, I think the description in the record should mention the lack of paperwork so that folks who want it CIB will know.  Still sucks though.  Give the graphic designers of the world some work!  They love games, too!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »
Well good thing I never finished that Degree.

blipcs76

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »
Definitely makes me miss the days when you'd open the box up, and all sorts of nifty stuff would come pouring out. Even worse than the lack of a manual, though? Those obnoxious recycled cases that have HUGE HOLES cut out of them, so the whole thing is flimsy as hell.

I hate these things too.  Lots of blu-ray movies have this style of case as well.

They saved a little plastic by punching the case full of holes, but then feel it's necessary to wrap all three edges of the case with plastic sticky seals in addition to the plastic shrinkwrap the whole thing is wrapped in.

scott

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »
And now you know how we PC players felt all those years ago.

That and DRM are both reasons that led to me devaluing PC games.

insektmute

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »
I hate these things too.  Lots of blu-ray movies have this style of case as well.

They saved a little plastic by punching the case full of holes, but then feel it's necessary to wrap all three edges of the case with plastic sticky seals in addition to the plastic shrinkwrap the whole thing is wrapped in.

What's funny is that a lot of import games (even UK stuff) and movies I've picked up have come in sturdier packaging. Makes me glad about half my Blu-ray collection consists of Criterion stuff, and they don't mess around with ghetto cases.

Except Chungking Express. Why that had to be the ONE release in a crappy cardboard digipak, I will never know.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »

What's funny is that a lot of import games (even UK stuff) and movies I've picked up have come in sturdier packaging. Makes me glad about half my Blu-ray collection consists of Criterion stuff, and they don't mess around with ghetto cases.

Except Chungking Express. Why that had to be the ONE release in a crappy cardboard digipak, I will never know.

I used to always buy Criterion Collection DVDs. Great stuff.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
They've done some really impeccable work on Blu-ray, especially with older French and Japanese films. They also routinely do 50% off sales through their online store or Barnes & Noble, so it hasn't killed my bank account too much to keep up with the release schedule :)

theflea

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:17 am »
This has been a pet peeve with me on newer games for a while now.
I've always been a completionist about CD games. Every game must have there manual or I pass on it. (unless its a really rare game and its really cheap) You don't know how many times I've walked into a used game store, looked through their PS2, Xbox, GC games, find one i've been looking for, open the case and see no manual and put it back.

In the future when I look for Used 360/PS3/Wii games more, I'm going to be opening games and see no manual and think... "Did this game have a manual??" and I can see passing up on a game then looking up online if it had a manual or not, go back to the store and find it gone. lol 
"Happy game hunting!!!"

htimreimer

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:39 am »
This has been a pet peeve with me on newer games for a while now.
I've always been a completionist about CD games. Every game must have there manual or I pass on it. (unless its a really rare game and its really cheap) You don't know how many times I've walked into a used game store, looked through their PS2, Xbox, GC games, find one i've been looking for, open the case and see no manual and put it back.

In the future when I look for Used 360/PS3/Wii games more, I'm going to be opening games and see no manual and think... "Did this game have a manual??" and I can see passing up on a game then looking up online if it had a manual or not, go back to the store and find it gone. lol
in the future, i dont think i will care about the manual, collecting & reading manuals prior to 2000 is fun & informative because they have personality and the marketers cared, after 2000 they lost that personality & the marketers stop caring, now a days you get a boring black & white manual that only gives the very vary basics on how to play the game, you can probably say this about video game packaging in general now a days
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:03:49 am by htimreimer »