Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 191568 times)

pacpix

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #345 on: June 22, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
Finished Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds last night.  Overall I enjoyed it more than Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord because each floor actually served a purpose.  When I explored the optional floors on Wizardry I they were empty and a waste of time.  In KoD there was fewer floors, but on every floor you were looking for a certain item and had a boss fight before progressing to the next floor.  My main complaint with the game was the difficulty.  Since the game requires you to transfer characters from the previous scenario the monsters on the first floor are as difficult as the monsters on floor 10 of Wizardry I.  As you go deeper into the dungeon the monsters start attacking in so large of groups that being surprised in the first round can lead to a party wipe or multiple level drains.  I did want to finish the game within this decade so I reloaded on full party wipes and level draining encounters, but did not cheat in any other ways.  I would like to try the game again on the NES since you cannot transfer characters so the monsters would be more fair on the early floors.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

bobster

« Reply #346 on: June 22, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »
I really need to look into the wizardry games. I know so little about them!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

pacpix

« Reply #347 on: June 22, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »
The fact that somebody would design a game so punishing to the player is what drew me into the series; I spend more time reading about the series then playing it though :P .  Slowly making my way through the sequels finally.  If you are interested the best way to enjoy it is Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga for PS1 in Japan.  Nice graphics, mostly translated to English, automapping, and saving.  Or you can grab an NES/Apple II/PC copy and a stack of graph paper if you do not value your sanity.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #348 on: June 22, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »
The fact that somebody would design a game so punishing to the player is what drew me into the series

You're a huge Demon's/Dark Souls fan too, aren't you?

pacpix

« Reply #349 on: June 22, 2014, 06:06:11 pm »
The fact that somebody would design a game so punishing to the player is what drew me into the series

You're a huge Demon's/Dark Souls fan too, aren't you?
Tried to play it on PC, but my computer was not powerful enough to play it.  I eventually want to get a PS3 so I can play the Souls series as well as the exclusive Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls download game.

bobster

« Reply #350 on: June 23, 2014, 10:25:06 pm »
Rentgirl and I just 100% completed Yoshi's Island. That game was crazy hard in some spots and a lot longer than I remembered.

Still fun though!

argyle

« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2014, 12:42:11 pm »
Just finished Retro Game Challenge, pretty fun game.  :)  Finished as in "complete all of the individual challenges for all of the games".  Did NOT do the final "ultimate" challenge of beating every game in the set, because frankly that sounds pretty dull - especially that RPG!  UGH!  Man, that thing was a chore to play through enough just to finish its 4 challenges - if I'm gonna sink that much more time into an RPG, I'm gonna boot Bravely Default back up.  ;) 

Anyway, scorecard for the year so far:

Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Pt. 1
Bravely Default demo
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Y's: Memories of Celceta
DMC
South Park: The Stick of Truth
inFamous: Second Son
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havok
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Ghost Squad
Retro Game Challenge
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »
Just finished Retro Game Challenge, pretty fun game.  :)  Finished as in "complete all of the individual challenges for all of the games".  Did NOT do the final "ultimate" challenge of beating every game in the set, because frankly that sounds pretty dull - especially that RPG!  UGH!  Man, that thing was a chore to play through enough just to finish its 4 challenges - if I'm gonna sink that much more time into an RPG, I'm gonna boot Bravely Default back up.  ;) 

Bravely Default demo
DMC
Ghost Squad
Retro Game Challenge

um...where's the *scores* for the games  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

Bravely Default demo
DMC
Ghost Squad
Retro Game Challenge

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »

Bravely Default demo
DMC
Ghost Squad
Retro Game Challenge

Eyes on the road there, buddy!   :P

abe

« Reply #355 on: June 26, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »
Well, that didn't take long. Finished one of the five routes (not counting the gag route) in XBlaze Code: Embryo on the Vita. Each chapter takes less than an hour to play through. It's a fun and interesting game. I think I'll enjoy running through the rest of the routes.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
Well, that didn't take long. Finished one of the five routes (not counting the gag route) in XBlaze Code: Embryo on the Vita. Each chapter takes less than an hour to play through. It's a fun and interesting game. I think I'll enjoy running through the rest of the routes.

I'd been meaning to ask you what you thought of XBLAZE once you'd gotten around to spending some time with it.

Were you already pretty  familiar with the Blazblue universe & characters before this game?

Do you think that it'd still be worth playing & enjoyable to those w/o previous knowledge & exposure to other/different BB games?

abe

« Reply #357 on: June 26, 2014, 01:56:12 pm »

I'd been meaning to ask you what you thought of XBLAZE once you'd gotten around to spending some time with it.

Were you already pretty  familiar with the Blazblue universe & characters before this game?

Do you think that it'd still be worth playing & enjoyable to those w/o previous knowledge & exposure to other/different BB games?

My previous experience with the series consisted of the demo of XBlaze on the Vita about a month ago (the demo covers the whole first "episode"), and about a half an hour of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend on the PS3 after I bought it a few weeks ago. :P So, nope, no experience needed to enjoy it. If you're a huge fan of the series, I'm sure it would make it even more enjoyable. Though, like I said, no experience needed. There do seem to be some fairly serious bugs though atm, which may interfere with getting 100% completion (and the game's plat trophy). From what I've heard Aksys has been made aware of the bugs. Who knows if they'll end up doing anything about them though. It's not a super huge deal though, since it seems that the main story is unaffected.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2014, 08:11:25 pm »
Welp, I just beat Ni No Kuni. I am now on my way to 100% it but the main story is complete. That was a fantastic game!  ;D

bobster

« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:38 pm »
I just beat Watch Dogs. It was incredibly mediocre. Funnily enough, I played on the PC, and the only time it crashed was during the credits. 4 times I tried it!