Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 190142 times)

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #360 on: July 01, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »
Shovel Knight! Super awesome game, can not recommend it enough.  Regular playthrough collecting most stuff a long the way was about 5 hours.  I'm doing new game + right now which looks to basically double the damage you take which will make things a good bit harder when it comes to bosses.  I really do love this game though, it's not trying to be annoying hard like the old games that didn't know any better cause they were just learning how to design games, but it doesn't hold your hand like a lot of games today do.  Levels are smartly designed and if you screw up, it's because you are the one that messed up.

The only complaint I had was that using magic items is done with up and attack, so there are times where you'll find yourself using a magic item when you aren't wanting to.  Only a minor issue though.

maximo310

« Reply #361 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »
Shovel Knight! Super awesome game, can not recommend it enough.  Regular playthrough collecting most stuff a long the way was about 5 hours.  I'm doing new game + right now which looks to basically double the damage you take which will make things a good bit harder when it comes to bosses.  I really do love this game though, it's not trying to be annoying hard like the old games that didn't know any better cause they were just learning how to design games, but it doesn't hold your hand like a lot of games today do.  Levels are smartly designed and if you screw up, it's because you are the one that messed up.

The only complaint I had was that using magic items is done with up and attack, so there are times where you'll find yourself using a magic item when you aren't wanting to.  Only a minor issue though.
How interesting, I downloaded that game last Friday, but haven't had a chance to play it yet due to school. My brother played through it and beat it two days ago, is pretty hooked on it with new game + as well! Oh, how I wish I had the time to play this game!

foxhack

« Reply #362 on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »
Double Dragon: Neon (PC)

Two words: Brotacular!

argyle

« Reply #363 on: July 03, 2014, 03:15:11 am »

I loved that game. :D 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #364 on: July 03, 2014, 01:11:27 pm »

I was so disappointed in this game. This game made fun of the 80s, rather than celebrating the 80s. Thanks, but no thanks. I truly enjoy 80s things, I don't think they're goofy and corny because I was actually alive in the 80s.

They should have just made a straight Double Dragon game, IMO.

foxhack

« Reply #365 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

I was so disappointed in this game. This game made fun of the 80s, rather than celebrating the 80s. Thanks, but no thanks. I truly enjoy 80s things, I don't think they're goofy and corny because I was actually alive in the 80s.

I was alive in the 80s too and I loved it.

Take a chill pill, Bill.

« Reply #366 on: July 03, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »
I finished Super Mario 3D World the other day. I think I may have lost my gaming skills cause that last boss was a pain in the ass.

argyle

« Reply #367 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41:30 pm »

Take a chill pill, Bill.

Hehe, me too - the game didn't come off as mocking the 80's to me. Matter of fact, I think I would have flipped over that game in the 80's.  ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #368 on: July 04, 2014, 08:35:59 am »

Take a chill pill, Bill.

Hehe, me too - the game didn't come off as mocking the 80's to me. Matter of fact, I think I would have flipped over that game in the 80's.  ;)
It's too bad they didn't add everything they wanted to add.

If you see the concept art in the game... you'll see some interesting references to a certain movie with a fuzzy little Mogwai thing.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #369 on: July 04, 2014, 07:11:36 pm »
I just finished Cave Story. That was a fun game. These days, I tend to not finish games. This one had me going till the end. The story wasn't much, but the gameplay was fun. If you haven't played it, I'd say go for it. Is it worth the high price for a CIB copy? Probably not. I got my loose copy for $20. I got my money's worth.

90snostalga

« Reply #370 on: July 07, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
Finally finished A Link to The Past!  Great story and excites me to play the next one released which was the Game Boy version.   8)

Just a self update for me so I can remember the games completed this year:

1.  Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
2.  Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)
3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
4.  Super Mario Bros. (NES)
5.  Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
6.  Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
7.  Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
10.Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
11.Bully:  Scholarship Edition (360)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)
13.The Legend of Zelda:  A Link To The Past (SNES)

bobster

« Reply #371 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »
Finally finished A Link to The Past!  Great story and excites me to play the next one released which was the Game Boy version.   8)

3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)
Link's Awakening got so much play time from me as a kid. I need to pick that game up again.

Also, if you really liked Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds on the 3DS was pretty amazing too.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #372 on: July 07, 2014, 01:01:29 pm »

3.  Shenmue 2  (Xbox)
8.  Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
9.  Diablo (PC)
12.Pandora's Tower (Wii)
Link's Awakening got so much play time from me as a kid. I need to pick that game up again.

Also, if you really liked Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds on the 3DS was pretty amazing too.

Yep, I thought Link Between Worlds was right up there with Link to the Past and Minish Cap, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:56:28 pm by burningdoom »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #373 on: July 07, 2014, 01:31:24 pm »
Is Minish Cap that good?  Those are some big names you're throwing around.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #374 on: July 07, 2014, 01:54:01 pm »
Is Minish Cap that good?  Those are some big names you're throwing around.

I REALLY liked Minish Cap. It felt like the SNES Zelda sequel we never got. TONS of side-stuff to do, as well, in addition to the main story. Great style to the graphics. And I liked the shrinking gimmick, kind like it's own version of another world (like Dark World in Link to the Past).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:56:13 pm by burningdoom »