Author Topic: The losing battle of physical vs. digital PC games  (Read 3202 times)

insektmute

The losing battle of physical vs. digital PC games
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:47 pm »
So I find myself at something of a crossroads with PC gaming: Do I shift to digital distribution only (mainly Steam and GOG), or doggedly stick to boxed releases?

I'm generally a die-hard advocate of having a physical product, but more often than not, I'm finding PC games are increasingly using services like Steam for authentication, which kind of defeats the purpose, and with older stuff, GOG seems to do a pretty great job of making things more stable on modern hardware. Toss in factors like DLC being a bit of a minefield of half-assed, uncertain distribution methods if it's released outside of a cohesive service (I'm looking at you, BioWare), ease of install and re-install, ridiculously cheap sale prices, and multiple options for backup, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being needlessly stubborn.

Thoughts? Anyone else with a similar preference for physical releases that's made this switch, or considering it?

foxhack

Re: The losing battle of physical vs. digital PC games
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:46 am »
Hiiiiiiiiiii.

I'm mostly a digital guy because there's only so much space in my house. But games get pulled from digital stores all the time so I still buy modern games in physical form whenever I can.

And yeah, whoever thought that stupid Bioware DLC method was a good idea deserves a punch in the balls.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:47 am »
For PC I'm digital-only, because it's so easy to get good deals.

One of the best places to look is:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/
It always has games on sale even on pre-orders... right now, for example, Battlefield 4 (which I have 0 interest in since BF3 changed Battlefield into Call of Duty) is 20% off. And sometimes even better deals can happen... Not to mention Steam sales.
I think that the potential prices for digital PC games make them worth, well, the fact that you never actually own a game you buy digitally (though Steam is solid enough to make you think you do :P).

On consoles however, it's completely the opposite. Digital console games are crazy expensive compared to physical games in my experience. For example, I paid 12$ less for Sonic Kart 2 on Vita than it would have cost me on the PSN... at launch, shipping included. And that goes for really any game, it's easy to find pre-order deals on everything, and prices drop super quickly on physical games while they stay high-priced digitally even though there's no reason to. I'll stay mainly physical as long as it's possible on consoles/handhelds.

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:10:20 am »
If I was a PC gamer, I would do digital only.

To be honest, I've thought about clearing the Microsoft stuff out of my collection and only concentrating on SEGA for physical releases and PC gaming for modern gaming and emulating ther retro stuff. It is a huge space saver. If it wasn't for JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 and the such being obvious omissions I probably would have done that. Plus, I do like Halo and Forza which are the few things not on PC.

Ultimately, the collector in me likes that there is an end to physical media. I much prefer a focused collection. And there is already too much out to get.

Steam and GOG are really good services as well. They do things right. Plus, have you tried installing and running old physical releases. I'd go GOG in a heartbeat, despite the downsides.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:36 am »
I am a physical fanboy.  Doesn't matter what platform it is.

insektmute

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:42 am »
Yeah, space is definitely a part of why I'm considering the switch, and running old games on modern hardware is... yeah.

I guess the biggest factor here is that with consoles, it's a completely closed ecosystem. Once a new one comes out, it's a big ? as to what happens to everything you've bought, and you have far fewer options for backup - if any. There's no guarantee Steam won't go the way of the dodo one day, but at least hardware upgrades doesn't mean potentially losing everything, or having to keep old systems around to play old games.

I've bought more on GOG by far though, and if it were up to me, I'd buy all my PC stuff there. Such a fantastic, no BS service, and I kind of love that supporting it also means supporting CD Projekt.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:27:58 am »
i pretty much only buy physical copy's because of uncertainties, how do i know if one day the game i paid 40 to 60 dollars will be gone, what happens whan my computer needs to be redone & now steam or some other service wont accept my verification code, what happens whan steam or some other service servers are shut down because the software is old & they dont want to support it any more, there are a lot of problems with digital downloads & DLC that no one is seeing & all of this is even worse on consoles
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:31:19 am by htimreimer »

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:31 am »
i pretty much only buy physical copy's because of uncertainties, how do i know if one day the game i paid 40 to 60 dollars will be gone, what happens whan my computer needs to be redone & now steam or some other service wont accept my verification code, what happens whan steam or some other service servers are shut down because the software is old & they dont want to support it any more, there are a lot of problems with digital downloads & DLC that no one is seeing & all of this is even worse on consoles

That's pretty much how I see it.  I don't like uncertainties.

insektmute

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:53 am »
The uncertainy is the main reason why I'm considering a switch, actually. I touched on it a little bit already, but when you're dealing with stuff that isn't tied to a service like Steam, things tend to get... a bit dicey.

I'll take Mass Effect as an example, since I mentioned BioWare earlier. If you have it on Steam, the Bring Down the Sky DLC is simply downloaded, no fuss. If you have a retail copy, there's no indication of what to do with it when you launch the game. Turn to Google, and you'll find a multitude of sites referencing dead links on various BioWare pages, like this one - http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/galacticcodex/bringdownthesky_pc.html. Part 2 says to go to http://accounts.bioware.com/my_account/mepc_cdkey.html, login, and enter your key, but the link just redirects to bioware.com. From what I recall, there's nothing to indicate registration or ownership of BDtS on your account, either. You can eventually figure out where to go, but it takes a bit of time and digging, and the page itself is obviously a relic of sorts, existing only in a sort of unofficial, forgotten capacity.

Things like software being old and service servers shutting down is what's impacting physical releases, not digital ones available through services like Steam and GOG, because the method of distribution is not a stream of forgotten publisher sites.

You also have numerous games like Dead Island, Fallout: New Vegas, Dawn of War II, Skyrim, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, every Valve game, BioShock Infinite etc. that require Steam, which means the disc basically serves no purpose - you can't play the game without activating it on Steam, and you don't even need the disc, since you can just enter the code on Steam and download the game and all relevant patches more quickly.

The key difference here with consoles is that your console is the DRM. It can't be played absent that specific hardware, outside of emulators, and those take years to reach maturity. Extra authentication crap is possible, mainly with companies like EA (notice a trend here with those assholes?), but offline, disc-only play is generally still a possibility... at least for now.

Since computers utilize a massive variety of different hardware, which is often upgraded, the system itself can't be an authentication system. Some companies have tried this, by tying activations to hardware, but apart from a small number of exceptions, this is again more of an issue with physical releases than with digital, because companies are using digital distribution services as a means of authentication - like a console.

I wish things weren't going this direction, but based on some of the issues I've run across, it seems like physical PC releases actually present more problems and uncertainties about long-term use than digital ones.

insektmute

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:43 am »
I hope that all made sense. I've been sick as a dog all weekend, and my head is pretty fuzzy right now. Buhh :/

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 05:12:50 am »
Made perfect sense.  That's why I don't even consider modern games on the PC. 

BTW get better soon.  I had that crap last weekend.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:24:52 am by ffxik »

htimreimer

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:51 am »
insektmute i'm not sure what your saying here, yes physical media has its uncertainties but not as many digital downloads, with digital downloads you are completely at the mercy of the publisher or the service that its using, physical media has had its share of annoying carp but you were never at mercy of the publisher unless you count what kind of DRM there gonna be using

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 09:12:06 am »
I'll take Mass Effect as an example, since I mentioned BioWare earlier. If you have it on Steam, the Bring Down the Sky DLC is simply downloaded, no fuss.
Uh. What?

I thought this wasn't available on the Steam version at all?

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:15:01 am »
lol, space I remember the boxes where these huge things that took up space and then they went to this little small sized box to nothing at all.. As for me I don't mind physical or digital as long as I've got the game. That in itself is reason to enjoy what the creator wanted. It is still apart of collecting in my mind physical or digital because you do have it or you wouldn't be playing it... right?

As for the green man gaming - thank you for that.. I've been using Steam and Gamefly for my Digital copies and have a good selection in Steam already..mostly indie games though :)
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:19 am »
I am a physical fanboy.  Doesn't matter what platform it is.

Same here.

Made perfect sense.  That's why I don't even consider modern games on the PC. 

Again, same here :)

The fact that I'm not a pc-gamer (and have no real interest in becoming one) makes (for now, at least)...sticking to my pickiness & stubborness in insisting on physical media only...A Lot easier  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"