Author Topic: Capcom vs. Konami: Which do you enjoy more?  (Read 2561 times)

sin2beta

Capcom vs. Konami: Which do you enjoy more?
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:56:17 am »
These were always two of the biggest and best third party developers (at least during the 8 and 16 bit days). If you had to pick only one, which would it be? Mega Man vs. Contra, Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill, Street Fighter vs Castlevania, the list goes on.

I will vote Konami. I always preferred Konami the feel and look of Konami games. I will take the feel and design of X-Men or Turtles in Time over Final Fight any day. Castlevania is probably my favorite 8-bit game. And honestly, although I love capcom, their two biggest titles: Mega Man and Street Fighter never really spoke to me.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

patrickmeansly

Re: Capcom vs. Konami: Which do you enjoy more?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »
These were always two of the biggest and best third party developers (at least during the 8 and 16 bit days). If you had to pick only one, which would it be? Mega Man vs. Contra, Resident Evil vs. Silent Hill, Street Fighter vs Castlevania, the list goes on.

I will vote Konami. I always preferred Konami the feel and look of Konami games. I will take the feel and design of X-Men or Turtles in Time over Final Fight any day. Castlevania is probably my favorite 8-bit game. And honestly, although I love capcom, their two biggest titles: Mega Man and Street Fighter never really spoke to me.

THO' I LOVE SILENT HILL, I WILL HAVE TO PICK RESIDENT EVIL OVER SILENT HILL.  RE 3 NEMESIS DID IT FOR ME!  AWESOME GAME! , AND MEGA MAN OVER CONTRA.  I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF STREET FIGHTER OR CASTLEVANIA SO I CANT PICK ONE OF THESE.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »
I literally cannot disparage either of them, so I have to say both. Even today, they both have their flaws, but I can't really choose between the two at all.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:39:39 pm »
Both are fantastic companies that I loved, especially during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

It's a hard choice, but if I had to choose, it would be Capcom. There's the obvious reasons like the long-running Mega Man and MMX series, Resident Evil series, Street Fighter & SF Alpha series, and the VS. series. But there's also a lot of great lesser talked about games/series like Bionic Commando, Duck Tales 1 & 2, Knights of the Round, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, and the Breath of Fire games among others.

That's not to say Konami is bad by any means, though. TMNT games, Gradius games, X-Men Arcade, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania (this series alone almost makes me want to change my mind),  Sunset Riders, etc.

soera

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »
I would have to choose Capcom too. I like Mega man games somewhat but its some of their other titles that I really like. Breath of fire series, Bionic commando, and Black tiger! Not that there is anything wrong with Konami in any sense. The Konami code is a staple in the retro gaming world and Contra games are legendary.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 07:01:09 pm »
Im on the Konami side, I do really enjoy street fighter and, 8 and 16 bit mega man, But Contra and Castlevania are amazing. Gradius is fantastic, Silent Hill beats Resident Evil to me cause it takes itself a little more seriously. Rocket Knight Adventures is one of the best platformers I've played.
I also enjoy Konami more because their games are difficult, I mean Mega Man is challenging but Capcom seem to make their games a little too easy at times... specifically the Street Fighter series

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
Both are fantastic companies that I loved, especially during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

It's a hard choice, but if I had to choose, it would be Capcom. There's the obvious reasons like the long-running Mega Man and MMX series, Resident Evil series, Street Fighter & SF Alpha series, and the VS. series. But there's also a lot of great lesser talked about games/series like Bionic Commando, Duck Tales 1 & 2, Knights of the Round, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, and the Breath of Fire games among others.

That's not to say Konami is bad by any means, though. TMNT games, Gradius games, X-Men Arcade, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania (this series alone almost makes me want to change my mind),  Sunset Riders, etc.

Oh yeah! And Capcom did Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Minish Cap! Which are all fantastic games!

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:13 pm »
Oh yeah! And Capcom did Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Minish Cap! Which are all fantastic games!

Good point! That's a fact I always forget. It's one of those SEGA made F-Zero AX/GX types of facts where the company doesn't match the franchise.

It is a hard pick, but another reason I picked Konami is that they have Hideo Kojima. He is one of the few people I can think of reaching Auteur status. And I don't mean this in a trollish way, but does Capcom have one? Keiji Inafune seems to be the only one coming to mind, but I don't know if I would count him in auteur status, you know. Mega Man and Onimusha have a lot less signature than Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear, Zone of Enders, etc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »

Good point! That's a fact I always forget. It's one of those SEGA made F-Zero AX/GX types of facts where the company doesn't match the franchise.

It is a hard pick, but another reason I picked Konami is that they have Hideo Kojima. He is one of the few people I can think of reaching Auteur status. And I don't mean this in a trollish way, but does Capcom have one? Keiji Inafune seems to be the only one coming to mind, but I don't know if I would count him in auteur status, you know. Mega Man and Onimusha have a lot less signature than Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear, Zone of Enders, etc.

Onimusha, sure. But Mega Man? Come on. Mega Man is possibly only seconded by Mario and Sonic when it comes to franchise volume and recognizability.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:15:38 pm »

Onimusha, sure. But Mega Man? Come on. Mega Man is possibly only seconded by Mario and Sonic when it comes to franchise volume and recognizability.

Oh, I agree. What I mean by signature and auteur, is creator recognizability and influence. If you pick up a Suda51 game, you know it is a Suda51 game without being told. You know if your reading a Stan Lee comic without looking at the credits. You know if you are watching a Quentin Tarantino film without looking at the credits. While that isn't quite what auteur means, it's close enough. Ayways, Kojima's games feel like they were made by Kojima. When you play Mega Man do you feel like it is an Inafune game or a mega man game? That's an honest question. Because in all honesty, he might be like that. I'm not too familiar.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 02:52:01 am »
I wouldn't want to choose between either of them as far as classic gaming goes but these days I'm not looking forward to anything by Konami and the only Capcom series I'm interested in is Monster Hunter. :/

scott

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 03:21:32 pm »
When it came to classic Capcom and Konami I couldn't choose. Mainly because I grew up on Castlevania and Mega Man.

But now a days, I'd have to say Konami all the way. Mostly because of Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid. But Konami games still have that Konami feel to them. Where Capcom feels like they are just milking Street Fighter and screwing up their other franchises.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 03:32:46 pm »

Oh, I agree. What I mean by signature and auteur, is creator recognizability and influence. If you pick up a Suda51 game, you know it is a Suda51 game without being told. You know if your reading a Stan Lee comic without looking at the credits. You know if you are watching a Quentin Tarantino film without looking at the credits. While that isn't quite what auteur means, it's close enough. Ayways, Kojima's games feel like they were made by Kojima. When you play Mega Man do you feel like it is an Inafune game or a mega man game? That's an honest question. Because in all honesty, he might be like that. I'm not too familiar.

Well, all of character designs and robot designs do come straight from pencil-drawings hand-drawn from Inafune. That cartoony feel everything has, is definitely an Inafune signature. At least it is in the original series. Not sure about spin-off series like Legends and Battle Network.

If you're interested at all in this sort of thing, I'd recommend checking out the G4 Icons episode on Mega Man. Very interesting, heck, the entire series of G4 Icons is awesome, I wish it was still on:

darko

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 11:38:43 am »
Oh god...IDK? Konami I suppose. Contra, Metal Gear, Castlevania, etc FTW!

That's basically like sitting two $100 bills in front of me and saying "Pick one."

Recently I'd probably go with Konami over Capcom. I'm not saying I hate Capcom, but I don't care for their current business strategy. Also - they've officially ruined RE.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:46:46 am by darko »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
Also - they've officially ruined RE.

QFT

I thought RE5 was just a possible mis-step and things might go back in the right direction. But no, RE6 got even further away from what makes a RE game a RE game. And the massive drop in value it has taken so soon after it's release kind of supports that a lot of people feel the same way. Traditionally RE games have held their value for quite a while before this.

It used to be one of my all-time favorite game series, too.