Author Topic: MOST EXPENSIVE GAME!  (Read 23967 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

Re: MOST EXPENSIVE GAME!
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:08 am »
i must laugh a lot of those of you that are american's :P

because what you think is expencive games are "cheap" in my country. you are lucky for the price you pay for your games :P

well back to topic, my most expencive games are a few ; CIB earthbound, CIB Mr.Gimmick (scandinavian), Cart Only Bubble Bobble Part 2, Cart Only Little samson, Cart Only Ufouria

just to mention some and what i payed for this games in my country are insane. because we are a expensive country all the way, and the games where expensice when they came out also. the price i had to pay was a little over 2300 dollars.......

Does that "2300 dollars" reflect USD exchange rates or is it your native currency~?  For example, I would MUCH rather pay 180 USD for something instead of 180 pounds....

That being said, I had my hands on a copy of Pepsi Invaders once....  That is god damned expensive....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:19:45 am by teck »

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:49 am »
my native currency is kroner im from norway, i used a app to convert to dollar.

13675 kroner about 2300 dollar in yersterdays currency

karyann

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »
The game that cost me the most (and that's worth the most in my collection) is Zelda: Skyward Sword special edition bundle. I bought it for 140$ I think, had to get it on ebay because my "friend" who worked in the video games store where I pre-ordered it never bothered to tell me they didn't get any copies, so I was too late everywhere to get a copy in any other way than online.

I find it unfair to put it as my most expensive game though, since its value is increased by the controller, so my most expensive game that comes with nothing else is Xenoblade.

sin2beta

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:46 am »

That's crazy if the conversion is correct. 2300 dollars is more than my vehicle cost. Now I didn't get a nice vehicle since I use the subway mainly. But still...

EDIT: Looking at this site http://www.businessinsider.com/expensive-cost-of-living-in-oslo-2013-6?op=1 It lists the typical new game as around $87 in Oslo. In the US it's $60. Is it just retro games that are expensive or was there a typo some place?

Plus, games in the US are cheap. The fact that I can buy a retro game for the cost of a candy bar is hilarious to me at times. Plus, new games have gone down in price over the years. Cart based games used to be really expensive. Here is an old ad showing Ultimate MK3 for $70. This is $10 more than a new release today. I seem to remember Phantasy Star 4 being $100. I think market competition kept games low. It started with PSOne making their games really cheap. They were somewhere around $40 where the saturn was still trying to do $60-70.Then Microsoft joined in the fun the next generation, etc.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:24:43 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:49 am »
well it depends :) but in my collection of mega drive games i have a game with the original pricetag when it first was sold i norway, and the price was 698 kr - 114.83 dollar. but a new game now are about 90 dollar, and some time less, but the most expensive game i found i a nettshop in norway are Bioshock Infinite Songbird Edition who cost 213.87 dollar

so yeah, its a expensive country :P im saving up money to go to the us an shop games :) im gonna go berzerk in the stores all around the states :)

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »
I paid $210 for a copy of caltron 6-1. which wasnt too bad.
although if you count systems, I paid $500 for a Neo geo in original box (with a few games)

But i think just as valid a question would be, what is the most you would pay for a game?

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 11:10:38 am »
I seem to remember Phantasy Star 4 being $100.

It was! I remember buying it brand new after calling 20 stores for $108, and was worth every penny.  Two months of paper route money to afford that back then.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:12:33 am by varkias »

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:26 am »
The most I have ever paid for a single game was my complete copy of Chrono Trigger, I paid $100 for it which is still a good deal. Not too far behind that are Radiant Silvergun which I dropped $90 on and .Hack Quarentine for $85.

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:15 pm »
Earthbound for $8 and Saturn Bomberman CIB for $3

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:09 am »
I've paid around $100 for Suikoden II, Resident Evil 4: Premium Edition, and Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence Limited Edition each.

Still a decent price compared to ones that were sold higher at the time.  Also, after playing them...  WORTH IT!

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 07:17:21 am »

This add made me miss my childhood even more  :(

sin2beta

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »

It did me as well. I used to read those a lot. I obviously was a very consumer-minded child.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:26 am »

It did me as well. I used to read those a lot. I obviously was a very consumer-minded child.

As was I lol. I used to search the paper like every weekend for the Toys R' Us or Target ad, just so I could look at all the games and toys inside. I remember my most memorable ad was the Toys R' US Christmas catelog from 1996. They were showing off he N64 and the few games that were out for it. I stared at that thing for hours and even circled stuff in it to show my parents what I wanted (probably half the catelog was circled). I did end up getting an N64 that year with Mario 64 so it was a good XMAS for me.

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
I typically don't spend more than $50 or $60 for a retro game. I can't recall ever spending more then that for a single game actually. System yes, game no. Just recently I paid about $60 each (with shipping included) for the homebrew Space Rocks on the 2600 CIB and Mario XE CIB and that was for games I really wanted, but on average I try to keep it under $20

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »
King of Fighters 2003 (US version) NeoGeo AES for 300$... i bought a few other NeoGeo games for around 100-200$.

Also found a Suikoden II complete in perfect condition for 150$.

Im not spending that kind of money anymore for a game.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac