Author Topic: double your money (this is not spam)  (Read 2411 times)

doctorlaudanum

Re: double your money (this is not spam)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 09:42:21 pm »
- Bought a complete Rule of Rose for $7, and it is now somewhere around the $100 mark. (It fluctuates a lot.)
- Found Calling sealed for $20 a few months ago at my go-to game store, back when a used copy was worth around $50. They had another one at that store and no one else has bought it yet, so I'm debating going back and grabbing it to sell for a little extra cash.
- Bought my copy of Final Fantasy VII for $10. Not that impressive, but it's something.
- My copy of Haunting Ground: bought for $15, is now worth about $60 in the condition it's in.
- Bought Kuon for $20, now worth $40.
- Bought The World Ends With You from some guy on craigslist: cost $10, now worth about $20.
- Michigan: Report From Hell: bought it for 25 GBP when the cheapest I've found it elsewhere is around 50 GBP. That's not even going into how much it's worth on import sites.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can really think of right now. I can assure you the games I paid for that are now worth a lot less far outnumber this. ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:45:21 pm by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:18 pm »
I bought Contra Force for NES brand new at a garage sale 2 summers ago for $5, sold for $130.  I've had a few others but this one stands out.  I also got Contra and Castlevania II new at that garage sale for $5 each.

karyann

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »
- My copy of Haunting Ground: bought for $15, is now worth about $60 in the condition it's in.

Wow, really? I bought mine for $15 too, that's nice to know.

Since I'm still a student I watch my finances closely, and so I usually buy my games only when they are really cheap, with a few exceptions. So the list of "money doubled" would be pretty long, but here are some highlights:

Dokapon Kingdom PS2 for $10, worth around $30 nowadays. I bought it on impulse, not knowing if the price was right or not haha.
Gameboy Player for $15, with the disc in its original box and with the manual. Damn was I happy with this find!
Demon's Crest for 5$, currently going for around $80. That was a lucky find!
And recently, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn for $15!

But I also bought some games the other way around (spent too much for its worth), like Neopets Petpet adventure on PSP for $10 while it's barely worth $5, and many games that lost value over time.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:25 pm »
Gameboy Player for $15, with the disc in its original box and with the manual. Damn was I happy with this find!

Pretty nice! I've been shopping around for one lately. I sold my old one years ago. Been regretting it for a while. (Also, Haunting Ground is amazing. :) )
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

scott

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 11:08:21 pm »
I guess I could double my money on my loose cart for Dracula X. I bought it years ago for like $60 and now it's over $140? crazy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 07:19:04 am »
Pretty nice! I've been shopping around for one lately. I sold my old one years ago. Been regretting it for a while. (Also, Haunting Ground is amazing. :) )

Yes, it's definitely great! But I'm really a coward, so I only watch my brother play haha. It's a good deal for both of us: this way I can see the story, and he gets some moral support :P

argusfrost

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 06:54:27 am »
I've more than doubled my money with some of the games I've bought and sold in the past 10 years.

Some highlights:

Paid $15.00 (IIRC) for 2 "Monopoly" and 1 "Blockbuster World Video Game Championships" Sega Genesis cartridges (loose).  Sold the "BBWVGC" cartridge to a collector a couple of years later for $2500.00.

Paid $20.00 for a CIB "Earthbound" for SNES.  Recently sold it late last year to a collector for $800.00.

Paid $40.00 for a set of 6 different Neo-Geo cartridges (first generation old stuff like "Ninja Commando", "Cyber Lip", "Sengoku", "Fatal Fury" and 2 other titles which I can't remember), sold them (3 hours after I picked them up) for $175.00 to a collector.

Paid $12.00 for a bag of 12 loose SNES cartridges from a Goodwill store.  Sold 3 of the games for $46.00 (Super Metroid), $30.00 (Super Castlevania IV) and $15.00 (Donkey Kong Country).

Paid $109.00 for a "Diablo III" collector's edition, pieced it all out and sold all of it for the following prices - Game + DLC codes $140.00, Art Book $70.00, USB Diablo II Skull $40.00, "Making Of DVD" and OST CD $20.00.  (I ended up keeping the box the items came in.)

I'll add other ones to the mix but they are not video game software but are related to them.  I'll put up the info in my next post.  Right now, I'm fighting fatigue and fatigue is winning. 

Time to hit the sack (actually a couch).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:56:13 am by argusfrost »