Author Topic: Game X Change  (Read 4706 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Game X Change
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:11 pm »
I ask for the "Cool Guy Discount" at most game stores.

I don't *have* to ask for the "Cool-Guy-Discount"  8)

The "Hot 'n' Cool" discount is given to me by default...at my local stores...the "WINNER" = the fastest employee (ie: the one that's quick enough to be rewarded & gets the high honor and the envy of the rest of the employees)...solely by dint of being in my presence and being *allowed* to interact with me  8)

Works about half the time.

Never fails  ;D

And, yes, I'm super hot.

I'M the hottest-of-them-all  ;)

That is when you apply your fist to their face.  Hard.  Seriously.  It's people like that that take the enjoyment out of game hunting.

Q.F.M.F.T.!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:08:52 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 12:44:12 pm »
Well, cause of some local reseller douchebags around here, Vintage stock did a complete price system upgrade too.

Totally inaccurate. VS does a price re-vamp once every year or so. Prices go up because the FMV of the game increases. They are regulated by a corporate office - not their customers.

It will never cease to amaze me how much people love to bitch and moan about video game prices. If you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. Finding deals on video games is not a god given right.

Also, how in the hell is it a resellers fault that prices have gone up on anything? Just because you throw something up on ebay doesn't mean anyone has to buy it. Collectors have driven the prices of video games up, not stores/resellers.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 01:00:15 pm »
I so wish we had a chain like this in Northern California. We don't.

I've seen videos of Vintage Stock from Gamester81 on YouTube, and looks like heaven to me! Used CDs, used games, old-school posters, comic back issues. I could easily go broke if one of those were in my area.

I do most of my retro shopping locally at Goodwill, believe it or not. Sometimes I'm lucky and get good deals, other times I leave with barely anything. We also have a used movie shop that also sells retro video game stuff, but the lady there prices according to eBay and doesn't go by the lowest price either. So unless there's something specific I'm looking for I don't go there, or I have some stuff I want to unload I'll take it there for some store credit.

darko

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:13 pm »

You should start a store that totally disregards all demand...every game for $1.00 no matter what!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 01:18:31 pm »

You should start a store that totally disregards all demand...every game for $1.00 no matter what!

I was never involved in your argument, on either side of it, no need to aim the sarcasm my way.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:30:34 pm by burningdoom »

darko

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 01:37:58 pm »

I was never involved in your little rant there, on either side of the arument, no need to aim the sarcasm my way.

Um, okay. It was a stupid joke, didn't mean to piss you off.

On a more serious note, what happened around here? The VGC community used to be fun and pretty happy go lucky. Why is everyone so serious and touchy all of a sudden?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:39:33 pm by darko »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »
It came off to me as you were aiming that at me, especially considering the post you made right above mine. If I misintrepreted that, then I apologize.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 03:05:32 pm »
On a more serious note, what happened around here?

Not enough Darko around lately?

The VGC community used to be fun and pretty happy go lucky. Why is everyone so serious and touchy all of a sudden?

I dunno...I'm still pretty damned happy-go-lucky  ;D

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »
The general thread has a link to a $1 no matter what store. It seemed pretty sweet actually. One of those sites to keep checking every week. There is some surprising stuff. I'm kinda hesitant to buy CD games from them. But then again it is $1... I mean come on!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 07:30:31 pm »
On a more serious note, what happened around here? The VGC community used to be fun and pretty happy go lucky. Why is everyone so serious and touchy all of a sudden?

I noticed a lot of the conversation has died off around here. I think for a long time the new consoles and their issues dominated conversations. It's hard to see a thread not derail into that conversation somehow. That automatically gets everyone a bit heated. Several topics get started that seem to exist for the sole purpose of getting people stirred up. I know I started a topic I tried to devote just to the games to try and steer the conversation elsewhere. But constantly talking about something that pisses us all off I'm sure changed the dynamic a lot.

This is something I don't think is just on here though. Basically, I think the gaming community has just been pissed the last few months. I do see a lot of places getting out of it though. But I know I had to unsubsribe to some youtube channels because a lot of the happy go lucky aspects left. I was just watching complaint videos over and over. Everyone was touchy.

I know I got frustrated at a lot of stuff and am sure it came out in some posts. In fact, I can point to a few exact ones. But I wrote some touchy and frustrated posts more than once.

Plus, attendance died down a lot from some regulars. It is kind of a chicken or the egg type of thing. But this changed the dynamic a bit as well. I see a few of the UK members on RetroCollect, which makes sense being a UK site.

Mostly, I think a lot of the members here are still angry about the Rodney King verdict. I know it has been on my mind a lot lately. In fact, I'm sure that is the main reason for most of the trouble here.

EDIT:
The above may sound strange. But, you should have seen the change in dynamic on Sonic Stadium and Sonic retro forums when stuff about Sonic 4 was being released. Fans were pissed and the forums reflected that. I remember one of the moderators posting an open letter featuring the sentence "Sonic 4 is tearing us apart". It was hard not to laugh, being a not very big sonic fan. But it was absurd how the dynamic changed. I don't think this site has had a huge change because it is generally pretty happy go lucky.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:47:32 pm by sin2beta »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »
I'm just pissed.  I don't know at what or why. I'm just pissed.

And people that don't own a store and flip games can suck my D. 

THE END

sin2beta

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »

THE END

Actually that may be the biggest part of it. This is a thread that is about game shops and resellers. Touchy subject for collectors, right?  ;D

This weekend, I've actually given serious thought to starting to sell some games. I always liked the setup TipTopJames has at Thrillhouse and would want to do something similar. I also always liked going into retro stores as a kid and seeing old guys selling a bunch of junk. There's something about the feel of old record stores, comic stores, game stores, and the like that I love. I guess this is one reason I love going to local stores. They have to charge more to keep the lights on. But I'm willing to pay a little bit more because I find what they do enviable in a way.

darko

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:52 pm »

THE END

That's about how I read most complaining in my head :)

Thanks for taking out any effort my brain would have needed during the translation process!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

THE END

...AND...we get posts like this that takes away all of the "happy-go-lucky" atmosphere -and- turns it into an "assholes vs douchebags" atmosphere  ::)

Basic Child-hood lessons = "nothing nice to say"...

darko

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:15 am »

THE END

...AND...we get posts like this that takes away all of the "happy-go-lucky" atmosphere -and- turns it into an "assholes vs douchebags" atmosphere  ::)

Basic Child-hood lessons = "nothing nice to say"...

Can I be the asshole in that situation?