Author Topic: writing on a game...  (Read 842 times)

writing on a game...
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:02:23 pm »
when someone signs your game.. do you think it de-values a game or brings it up? I had Lloyd kuafman(creator of troma and the movie) sign my toxic crusaders games. I love it but always wondered what others thought about this? I also live in a town wear cabbage patch kids were made and was thinking about buying the two games and having Xavier sign them.. anyone have any signed games? anyone think it improves them or de-values them?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

90snostalga

Re: writing on a game...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:37:46 pm »
Great question!  I'm not positive, but I can guarantee you if there was a game I really wanted I would pay more for it autographed, as long as it's official and can be proven.  Kind of like a baseball bat or foot ball or something.  I would certainly pay more for it autographed but I would be skeptical if I wasn't sure if it was real or not.

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:44 pm »
I figure it works like most collectibles.  As long as it's part of the dev team or the like it should increase the value to some extent.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:19 am »
Depends a lot on exactly what it is & what it says.

Example:  I have a shitload of autographed pictures, baseballs, cards, etc of Bobby Thompson (Google/Wikipedia "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" if you don't know who he is/what he did...and...if you want to).

Now, since he was a family friend -and- I knew him personally - he signed everything with either a "To Kenny" or just with a "Kenny".

Naturally, this gives more significance & value to these items (to me, personally) -but- should I ever want to sell them (which, I won't)...unless the buyer's name was also Kenny...it could potentially *Lower* the resale value of the items.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:39:40 am »
I think autographs might help a little. But ultimately, I don't think game designers have reached the celebrity status where autographs matter. Shigeru Miyamoto might increase the value of a Super Mario Bros cart. But a Steve Meretzky signature on Planetfall may not do much. Nothing against Meretzky. I picked him because I consider him one of the greats. But, hell, I don't think Yu Suzuki will increase a game's value much... unless if he signed Shenmue. But that is a very specific fanbase.

Average Sony fans probably don't know who Mark Cerny is. The average game fan probably does not know who TOmmy Tallarico is. Game designers are not at rock star or celebrity status. Minus, a few like Miyamoto (not saying he is celebrity status. But well known enough to where average fans know who he is).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »
All autographs are worthless unless you have a Certificate of Authenticity or a picture of you and the guy getting it signed. I know this as a comic collector. So unless you have one or the other to go with it, then yes, it devalues the game. If you do have those things, then take it to a collectibles shop and see if they can value it for you.

Now as for personal value, that is priceless if it means something to you personally.

haloofthesun

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:58 pm »
I picked up a bunch of NES games a while back that were signed by some guy named Doug. It doesn't seem to make the games any more valuable.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
I picked up a bunch of NES games a while back that were signed by some guy named Doug. It doesn't seem to make the games any more valuable.

Clever  ;)

soera

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »
Ive always wanted a copy of Dragon Quest signed by Horii.

Otherwise, I really think it depends on the person and the situation. There was a guy on Nintendo Age that had Tyson sign his MTPO. Same would go for any sports star to sign their game. Another situation would be like Stan Lee on any Marvel game.