Author Topic: A Moral Quandary  (Read 1075 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

A Moral Quandary
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:15 pm »
I'm sure ya'll are sick of hearing about it, but I went to Dallas to Retropalooza as a dealer this weekend.  I was honestly just selling doubles and stuff I had aquired over the course of a decade of collecting.  I had a great time and loved every minute of it. I had the chance to meet a lot of cool people, talk about games, and pass on some of the deals I've come across on the hunt.  I sold shit on the cheap.  It wasn't anywhere near ebay/dealer prices.

Now, here's my moral dilemma:  Is it a dick move to start buying stuff just to be a vendor there next year? 

I'm one of the first people to get pissed at a reseller buying stuff up just to flip games and make a quick buck.  If I don't leave that copy of Mega Man 2 sitting on a shelf for the next guy, is it wrong?  I'm not looking to turn a big profit, I just had fun doing it. 

I guess I'm asking if this makes me a great big ole hypocrite.

Re: A Moral Quandary
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »
If you're keeping prices below online I say do it!  I don't think it's much different than picking up a good deal solely for trade bait.  If you keep those prices fair I don't think anyone can judge you.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:15 pm »
I couple of examples from this weekend:
I sold Mega Man 1 for $30.  More than I paid for it, but less than ebay.
I traded Mega Man 5 for Lufia II. 

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
If you're keeping prices below online I say do it!  I don't think it's much different than picking up a good deal solely for trade bait.  If you keep those prices fair I don't think anyone can judge you.

I concur, especially if you're coming from the way of also being a collector and appreciator yourself and not just someone who just sells for the profit only and hopes someone pays more than they should
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »
I personally like the way James from Thrillhouse sold stuff, whatever he paid, he increased the price a certain amount (I don't know the specifics). This caused me to find weird pricing situations such as Sega Saturns ranging from 30-60 dollars. There was a Sonic the Hedgehog complete going for less than loose. This is because he personally paid less for the complete one. This created weird situations. But allowed some sweet deals to go to the shopper. I found some gems for ridiculous prices. There is nothing immoral about that. In fact, it is weird for a storeowner who has to keep the lights on. Sometimes I felt bad as the buyer if it was a good deal... But I always consider him to be the top notch of all game sellers.

I try to do this in my own trades. If I pick up doubles essentially for free and someone wants them, I try to just send it to them. I want to pass on the deal that I got. If I found Earthbound for $5, I would get a kick out of selling it for $8. You made a pretty good profit and made someone's day. You also hopefully helped reverse the artificial climb that the game has taken. This may sound like BS. But a few people here can attest to me passing along sweet deals.

Basically, I would promote the method of remembering how much you paid. I don't see a problem reselling. But I do see a bit of a problem with buying Earthbound for $5 and selling it for $100. Sure, someone's willing to pay. But it is artificial. Its like how Soda costs $9 at a sports arena. There is a certain amount of immorality in such a huge profit margin in an artificial market.

I have no problem with resellers. But I do have a problem with how far it can go. I used to collect Nintendo pretty intensely in the 90s. But the scene changed. Nosferatu selling for $40 is wrong. Earthbound selling for hundreds is wrong. Certain unnamed people who buy several copies of Surprise at Dinosaur Peak or Duck Tales 2 to watch the price go up is wrong. I left the scene and am glad. But I'm a grumpy old man.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:35:50 pm »
If you ever do find an Earthbound for $5, let me know! ;)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:40:50 pm »
If you ever do find an Earthbound for $5, let me know! ;)

;D You've got it.

darko

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »
sin2beta....have we met? Just curious (and apologies if we have and I've forgotten). James is a friend of mine and yes, he runs an awesome retail shop.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »
sin2beta....have we met? Just curious (and apologies if we have and I've forgotten). James is a friend of mine and yes, he runs an awesome retail shop.
James does run a great shop. I love that he post pics on Facebook a couple times a week. He probably gets sick of me commenting on them. I live 6 hours from his store, but I still love to look at his stuff.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:53 pm »

No, we were both at ScrewAttack at the same time though. I realize that may sound creepy. But there was a topic on here and I knew you went. That's at least my story.  :P

I used to be a regular at Thrillhouse. In fact, I'm a regular at any store named after a Simpson's reference. I would go in every week and buy SEGA stuff. Then I moved to Dallas. I like the city... but retro gaming just isn't as good. James probably remembers a guy who always would ride up on a motorcycle and go directly to the SEGA. It was a weekly routine.