Author Topic: Reproduction Cartridges  (Read 5583 times)

Reproduction Cartridges
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:21:49 am »
I've seen NES and SNES repro carts for sale, I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any Master System ones floating around? There's one game in particular I'd love to be able to get a physical copy of, since it was never released outside of Japan that I know of.

soera

Re: Reproduction Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:58 am »
So far, I have not seen any repro copies of SMS games. I started a thread on Sega Age and SMS8bit to see if I could get some repro makers interested in possibly releasing Ys II: The final chapter made but havent heard much about it.

Which game were you interested in?

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:06 pm »
So far, I have not seen any repro copies of SMS games. I started a thread on Sega Age and SMS8bit to see if I could get some repro makers interested in possibly releasing Ys II: The final chapter made but havent heard much about it.

They do exist. http://www.windygaming.com/products/power-strike-2-reproduction-for-us-sega-master-system or a Game Gear conversion for SMS (neat deal actually and Aleste 2 is one of the few it works with) http://www.windygaming.com/collections/repros/products/game-gear-aleste-2-reproduction-for-sega-master-system

The WindyGaming guy used to take requests on conversions. You might try him for Ys II. In fact that is a damn good idea. I may have to hit him up on that as well (two people requesting might be better...). I haven't looked... Do you know if a translated ROM is available that is good? Any experience with the ROMs?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:10:19 am »

I was wanting to get Alex Kidd BMX Trial, as it's the only Alex Kidd game I don't have.

soera

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »
The WindyGaming guy used to take requests on conversions. You might try him for Ys II. In fact that is a damn good idea. I may have to hit him up on that as well (two people requesting might be better...). I haven't looked... Do you know if a translated ROM is available that is good? Any experience with the ROMs?

I know there is a translated version of the game available for the NES. I dont know how good it is. I sent an email to the Windy Gaming guy just to see what his response is.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:07:50 am »
I have personally seen a few come through my store, but I don't like dealing with repro carts....

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
With how popular repros become lately, I'm surprised a game as popular and sought after as the SMS Sonic the Hedgehog games or Phantasy Star haven't been re-released yet. Especially since SMS seems to have started getting pretty popular in the retro-circles lately.

soera

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:17:25 pm »
Sonic itself has been on lots of remakes for basically ever console now. Phantasy star has also.

Ys II however should have been made for the SMS. Made no sense why it never made it there when both games were available by the end of 1988 and the system itself continued on for years. It was supposed to be a single game to begin with but it got split up. To finish the entire game on its initial release system would have been cool. :)

Ive been talking with the guy from Windy gaming since the link was posted here and he is going to look into it! I hope this comes to be cause Ill be at the front of the line to get one. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
The ones that are on the Sonic collections, are the crappy Game Gear versions, not the Sega Master System versions (not sure why they did that). And those games aren't the same as their Genesis counterparts with the same name.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »
The ones that are on the Sonic collections, are the crappy Game Gear versions, not the Sega Master System versions (not sure why they did that). And those games aren't the same as their Genesis counterparts with the same name.

... they are pretty much identical (Game Gear and SMS). Sonic 1 had sprite resizing plus minor changes to some boss battles. Sonic 2, spinball, and Chaos are changed even less so I believe. They just tend to be zoomed in a little bit. But not in any way that detracts. It's not like Mega Man on Game Gear.

The biggest difference I've noticed is that when speed running through Bridge Zone some of my jump points need to be altered by a fraction of a second. And the boss battle is fairly different. Same concept. But redesigned to not fill the whole screen like it did before.

Unless if both the SMS and Game Gear versions are crappy, I don't see how one can be crappy and not the other. And I don't see how both versions can be crappy. And Sonic 1 on Game Gear and SMS is arguably better than Sonic 1 on Genesis. Sonic 2, on the other hand, is all Genesis.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »
The screen size alone makes the SMS version better. That makes a huge difference. On the Game Gear version you're afraid to go fast half the time, for fear of running into something just off of the screen.