Author Topic: Love It or Hate It? Video Game Edition: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link  (Read 3929 times)

sin2beta

Re: Love It or Hate It? Video Game Edition: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 10:13:39 pm »
I think I might have judged it less harshly if it weren't a Zelda game, but looking over the series as a whole, it stands out as a big black mark.

Part of me thinks that if it weren't a Zelda game, it wouldn't be remembered at all. Probably not even a hidden gem. Just mediocre.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 10:16:42 pm »
That goes along with what I was saying earlier. If Metroid prime didnt have the name "Metroid" on it, it would have just been some random first person sci game.

sin2beta

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »
That goes along with what I was saying earlier. If Metroid prime didnt have the name "Metroid" on it, it would have just been some random first person sci game.

As much as I did enjoy Metroid Prime, you're not wrong.

insektmute

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 02:01:24 am »
Funny you say that soera, I seem to be one of the few people who would KILL for Metroid to return to being a side-scroller. Super Metroid forever!

*sigh*

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:07 am »
I love both the 2D and the 3D Metroid games. But the 2D ones, are the better games in the series, despite Metroid Prime being so spectacular. That's just how freaking awesome the Metroid series is; even the "lesser" games in the series are amazing.

I think Metroid deserves the full-blown 2D console release treatment like Mario and Donkey have been enjoying. (And a 2D console Zelda, for that matter.)

sin2beta

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 02:46:17 am »
I love both the 2D and the 3D Metroid games. But the 2D ones, are the better games in the series, despite Metroid Prime being so spectacular. That's just how freaking awesome the Metroid series is; even the "lesser" games in the series are amazing.

I think Metroid deserves the full-blown 2D console release treatment like Mario and Donkey have been enjoying. (And a 2D console Zelda, for that matter.)

I haven't played them. But isn't there some good 2D Metroid games on DS? 3D for home consoles... 2D for portable. Much like Castlevania.

scott

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:24 am »
Nope, the last real Metroid games on portable were on the GBA and they were pretty stellar. The DS only saw Metroid Prime Pinball (really fun!) and Metroid Prime Hunters (meh) and both of those were released pretty early in the DS's life.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

bobster

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 11:40:11 am »
I love and hate Zelda II. It's just so damn hard I've never beaten it during the various times I've tried. Maybe it's time for another try!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »

I haven't played them. But isn't there some good 2D Metroid games on DS? 3D for home consoles... 2D for portable. Much like Castlevania.

And that's how Donkey Kong and Mario were, as well, until recently. And look at how cool the full-blown console 2D releases were for those series!

But like was already said, the last real good 2D Metroid (which were handheld) were on GBA (Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission). Metroid Prime Hunters was in 3D, on the DS, but was more a collection of mini-missions where you chased down other enemies in armored suits. And Metroid Prime Pinball (also on DS) is like the title says, a pinball game.

pacpix

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 05:12:01 pm »
I have personally never cared for Metroid games.  I always feel lost and confused...
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 08:04:46 pm »
Love it~!

Even though it is not the experience we have come to associate with Zelda, it was still a good game in its own right....  If you took away the name and JUST played it then there is tons of fun and challenge to be had....  I'll admit it does feel like a black sheep now, but it was definitely necessary for the evolution of the series so I wouldn't lose it for anything....

sin2beta

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 01:56:55 pm »
Zelda II was just mentioned in todays episode of GameSack "Disappointing Followups" It seemed appropriate to post here since they talk about how Zelda II disappointed them. There was also some Extreme Games talk, which we discussed in another topic. Is there a GameSack spy on these boards...? I'm totally convinced they saw our topic of Zelda II, wrote a script, recorded, edited, and rendered the video in the mere day we discussed it. Anyways, Zelda stars at 6:30.

thomascozine

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
Hate it. Only because I find it to be a very tedious and frustrating game. The gameplay itself I find fun. But, the difficulty is just to wibbly, wobbly. It loses its fun for me at the first dungeon. I want to like it, but I just can't.