Author Topic: Got a Sega Saturn.... Need games  (Read 2666 times)

Got a Sega Saturn.... Need games
« on: December 25, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »
Merry christmas everyone! So I got a Sega Saturn today and now I need to pick up a few games to get my collection started. I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

What are some cheap essential CIB Sega Saturn games I should pick up to get started? I would love to find some RPGs but I know those can get a little pricy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Got a Sega Saturn.... Need games
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »
Some fantastic Saturn games that won't break the bank:

-Area 51 - Do you like to shoot aliens in the face? Do you like cheesy voice-acting? Do you like blowing things up? And finally, do you like light-gun shooters? THEN YOU'LL LOVE AREA 51!

-Astal - An absolutely gorgeous 2D platformer with a lot of charm. Brings back memories of Sega's glory Genesis days of platformers, but with better graphics and a great soundtrack.

-Darius Gaiden - One of the most underrated shoot-em ups ever, seriously. This game is a must-have in any shoot-em up fans' library.

-Galactic Attack - Another great, under-sung shoot-em up game. Not as good as Darius Gaiden, but for a shoot-em up fan, there's still a lot here to like.

-Gex - Very fun 2D platformer that was originally released on 3DO, and also released on PS1. If you don't already have it on those systems, then this one is great game to get. Nice level design with some well thought out worlds, and a lot of humor and pop-culture references.

-Marvel Super-Heroes - There are better 2D fighters from Capcom on the system, but most of them involve importing and extra RAM carts. This is a great 2D fighter that requires zero importing.

-Mortal Kombat Trilogy - Simply put: The single best 2D (hell, better than any of the 3D entries, either) Mortal Kombat game ever made, period. The roster is humongous. And level-selection is HUGE. And there are even multiple versions of some characters (Smoke, Shang Tusng, Sub-Zero, etc.).

-Panzer Dragoon - Great combination of a shoot-em up and an on-rails shooter. Beautiful graphics and music accompany the experience, too.

-Panzer Dragoon: Zwei - The 2nd game in the series. I'm told it's even better than the first, but unfortunately I haven't actually played this one, yet.

-Resident Evil - Well, to tell the truth, it's really not must-have, since it's on 20 other systems. But if you live under a rock and haven't played this game yet, the Saturn version is a fine version (that is unless you have access to a GameCube or Wii, because the remake on those systems outshine every other version, BY FAR.).

-Road Rash - Very fun motorcycle racing game. Long races across far distances (instead of looping around a track). Great selection of bikes. But the biggest draw here, is that you can pummel your oppenents with your fists, 2 by 4s, chains, or other objects as you pass them. So it sprinkles a little combat in there, which really sets it apart from the 50 other racers on the system. And to clear things up, this IS NOT the same game as the Genesis/Master System Road Rash game.

-Shinobi Legions - Great 2D action-platformer with Mortal Kombat-esque digitized graphics. And so cool live-action ninja cutscenes. One of my all-time favorite Saturn games.

-Sonic 3D Blast - There's a lot of hate out there for this game. And I fully admit it's not nearly as good as the 2D Sonic games before it. But nonetheless, I thought this was a fun little game, and the Saturn version is the best version to get with better graphics and a better soundtrack. As well as a few little additions here and there to the levels and backgrounds.

-Virtua Cop 1 & 2 - Who doesn't like light-gun arcade shooters? These are 2 of the best from the era made by Sega.

-X-Men: Children of the Atom - Again, like Marvel Super-Heroes, there are better 2D fighters from Capcom on the system, but most of them involve importing and extra RAM carts. This is a great 2D fighter that requires zero importing.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:20:28 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:16:14 pm »
Fist of all, Thank you so much for taking time out of your christmas day to write up such an amazing detailed reply. It really seems like you know your stuff. I now want every one of these lol.

I just ordered Panzer Dragoon CIB near mint, i got it for $35 shipped. I'm guessing I need to pick up a memory card as well. I was planing on buying a few games but after seeing the prices on most of them I'm gonna stick to one for now.

Thanks again!!!

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 09:45:57 pm »
Merry christmas everyone! So I got a Sega Saturn today and now I need to pick up a few games to get my collection started. I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

What are some cheap essential CIB Sega Saturn games I should pick up to get started? I would love to find some RPGs but I know those can get a little pricy.

Aw man congrats on the Saturn!   :D  Excellent gift.  Doom has already listed all the great games but I wanted to congratulate you on the wonderful present. 

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 03:50:35 am »
Nice! if you're planning on getting a memory card get the action replay 4 in 1, because trust me you will want to import. Amazing console i'd also add three dirty dwarves, nights into dreams

soera

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:47:44 am »
I used to have a Saturn. I miss it for one game and one game only : Magic knight Rayearth. I know the game isnt cheap but it was such a cool game. Really wish there was another option to play it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »
nights into dreams

Well, I think most of the regulars here know why it's not on my list, lol.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:32 pm »
Here's another conundrum. CIB vs Disc only. As far as my collecting habits go, I've always been cart only for cartridge based games and CIB for disc based games... However I've been seriously thinking about maybe just making custom cases for Saturn games as all the games I want tend to be kind of expensive. I just wanted to see what other people people think about disc only collecting.

soera

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »
I think the main issue of disk only collecting is having a place to put the disks when they are not in use. It sounds like you already have that covered. Saturn cases are usually the most destroyed pieces of shit Ive ever seen too so that is another bonus for just going disk only.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
I'd say go for at least Disk and manual, and keep the manuals in a binder.

Also to get a "Rolling Start" ;D on your collection
Daytona USA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:28:30 pm by redblaze57 »

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
Dooms list +
Nights
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Night Warriors
Virtua Fighter 2
Legend of Oasis
Three Dirty Dwarves
Burning Rangers
Virtual On
Earthworm Jim 2
Mega Man Games
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heroes
Bomberman
Shining Force 3
Lunacy
D
Enemy Zero
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:42:29 pm »
I went ahead and put some offers on some games on ebay and have walked away with more then I was hoping to win lol; but most a little under the going price on ebay. All are complete in box, so I guess I'll go ahead and just keep trying for CIB.

So far I'll be getting:
Panzer Dragoon
Battle Arena Toshinden Remix
Sonic 3D Blast
NBA Jam Extreme
Die Hard Trilogy
Street Fighter: The Movie
Clockwork Knights

There are so more I'd like to get. Its really too bad I've never come across a Saturn game in the wild here.... Delaware kinda sucks.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 01:12:37 am »
Dooms list +
Nights
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Night Warriors
Virtua Fighter 2
Legend of Oasis
Three Dirty Dwarves
Burning Rangers
Virtual On
Earthworm Jim 2
Mega Man Games
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heroes
Bomberman
Shining Force 3
Lunacy
D
Enemy Zero

He wanted affordable games, though. Shining Force 3 is one of the most expensive games on the system. Burning Rangers and Guardians Heroes both go for a pretty penny, too.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »
Just a warning that CIB becomes very expensive and time consuming for Saturn.  I was about 10 games shy of a complete US collection.  I had to buy 100+ sports titles just for the cases.  On the rare occasion that I did find empty cases they cost more than sealed sports titles.  If I had to do it again, I would go the dvd case route and use something like http://www.thecoverproject.net/ to make the covers.

Good luck on the hunt and don't forget the imports!

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 06:45:22 pm »
I thought I'd correct my post.

Dooms list + Action Replay + import versions of
Nights
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Night Warriors
Virtua Fighter 2
Legend of Oasis
Three Dirty Dwarves
Burning Rangers
Virtual On
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heroes
Bomberman
Shining Force 3
Lunacy
D
Enemy Zero

Seriously, US games on Saturn are expensive and usually in bad condition. Import saturn stuff is fantastic! It's the only system I know of where most collectors go for the Japanese versions over their own country's version. But there is a reason.

EDIT: I accidentally hit modify instead of quote. So, I ended up just modifying this post. Sorry. Do not know a way to fix that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:28:28 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c