Author Topic: Problem picking up games in lots  (Read 1028 times)

blipcs76

Problem picking up games in lots
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:35:08 am »
I'm growing increasingly frustrated trying to buy NES games in lots.  Right now, I own right around 50% of the NES catalog.  I'd like to buy games in bulk to fill out my collection, but it seems every lot of NES games I find is almost entirely comprised of games I already own.  At best, I'll find 2-3 games out of a lot of 15 that I don't already have.

Is the first half of the NES catalog that common, while the other half is that rare?  If so, I'll never come close to getting a full collection if I have to buy the other 350 games one at a time.

soera

Re: Problem picking up games in lots
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:11 pm »
Its true though. Once you get to the point you are at, lots arent really worth the time. Your best bet for a little while is to find someone on a forum or something who is selling off a lot of their collection and buy a big self-picked lot off of them to save on some of the cost and some of the shipping.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:45:13 pm »
I'm at this point with Genesis games. Even though I don't have half the library, the ones I do have are apparently the most common ones out there.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:51 pm »
Lots can still be a good way to pick up some hard to find games.  Sometimes they slip through the cracks.  But, be prepaired.  You'll end up with a TON of doubles. 
I still pick up a lot if there are a few games in it I need.  I've bought several boxes of 10-15 games when I only wanted 2 of them. 

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »
Those folks might've been in the same place as you... buying a lot to pick up a few that they could use and then reselling the lot of dupes...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:42 pm »
Yeah, you'll get to a point where lots are not worth it. Then you'll get to a point where you cant seem to find games you don't own yet. Just part of the joy of full set collecting. Compile those doubles and start selling or trading. Begin funding the games you don't have already.

I always suggest beginning your collection with some of the best of the best. This way you don't get bored. Then buy lots to fill up your collection. But they will soon become not worth your time. I'd say 35-60% of the way is when this happens. At that point begin trading. This will hopefully get you another 5-10%. Then comes the waiting game.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:30 pm »
Yep, every single NES lot ever is going to have a copy of Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in it, lol.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:52:08 am »
When I was actively going after Atari 2600 lots I was always getting doubles, triples, quadruples, etc of the dirt common games. I've gotten rid of almost all the doubles but at one time I had plastic bin upon plastic bin full of combats, pacmans, space invaders, asteroids, etc. Its just the nature of collecting. These are the games that EVERYONE owned if they had a 2600. Just like SMB/DH for the NES or Sonic for the Genesis.

Even rarer consoles have their common games like Keith Courage for the TG-16. I'm a big Tandy color computer collector and there hasn't been one lot I've bought that didn't have a copy of megabug with it.

blipcs76

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:34 am »
When I was actively going after Atari 2600 lots I was always getting doubles, triples, quadruples, etc of the dirt common games. I've gotten rid of almost all the doubles but at one time I had plastic bin upon plastic bin full of combats, pacmans, space invaders, asteroids, etc. Its just the nature of collecting.

I have a theory about Combat (2600).  I think that game reproduces asexually.  I only ever remember having one copy, the one from my childhood.  Today I have about 6-7 copies of Combat, but I don't ever remember buying any others.  I think it's dividing like an amoeba when I'm not looking.