Author Topic: The Un-Played Ones...  (Read 2893 times)

pacpix

Re: The Un-Played Ones...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:11:26 pm »
Put another vote down for the Final Fantasy games.  I have only played like ten minutes on a GBA remake years ago.  I have only recently begun to have interest in RPGs in the past few years (other than a ton of RuneScape in elementary and middle school), but I play them at a ridiculously slow rate with up to months in between playing sessions.  The few RPGs I have been playing are a bit more old school like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, and Ultima instead of JRPGs.  Final Fantasy is definitely on the list of games I really need to play soon though, along with the rest of the Dragon Warrior/Quest series.
I actually took the time to beat Hydlide twice, and I still have not seriously played a Final Fantasy game.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:10 am »
On the top of my head...  They are:

Persona series: enjoyed other Atlus-published video games but never found Persona appealing at all.

Dragon Quest series: with the exception of Chrono Trigger, not really into Akirama Toriyama-designed video game characters.

Gears Of War series: was more into Call Of Duty and Battlefield, although only a certain one in each title and very limited interest.

Any subscription-based MMO: until they become free-to-play, of course.

Any survival horror game: Illbleed, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame...  I do not have the heart and courage to play those games.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 11:44:29 am »
I'm watching a friend play through the Metal Gear Solid series, and I've never played any of those, but mostly because they aren't my sort of genre (I'm no good at shooters/horror titles).

I love RPGs but can't really seem to get into Zelda for some reason.  I own a few of the titles but I just haven't warmed up to any of them yet.

I also haven't played much in ways of Final Fantasy.  I've played a lot of XII (but some friends say it doesn't represent the FF series well at all), but that's probably it.  Never played VII.  For some reason, I got pulled into Dragon Quest more than I did into FF.

Oh, and I've been playing Diablo 3 again because my friends want to do Reaper of Souls when it came out.  I never played the other Diablos, so I have no idea what they're talking about when they talk about the storylines of the previous games.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:48:31 am by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:53 pm »
Tomb Raider - Lara was the face of games in the 90s. I've played maybe 10 minutes of the first one. I did buy it recently to try out.

God of War - God of who?

Contra - I've played a few minutes of a few games. But the total play time is something like 10 minutes combined for the NES, Saturn, and Genesis versions.

Duke Nukem

Sims

Probably some more.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:55 pm »

Contra - I've played a few minutes of a few games.

Dude, you really need to take the time to shoot up the world. You can even get Hard Corp for your beloved Sega console. The games are hard, but dang they're fun.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:09 am »
If you are going to start with 1, do not start with the NES version.

Do not start with 2 or 5 or you are going to be disappointed.

3 (the real 3 not the SNES 3) feels like 1.

4/6 (SNES 2/3) are definitely worth starting on. If you do the VC version of 2 on the Wii, you have the option to download all the after years (I dont know any other option to get those)

7 - Awesome game. Definitely my favorite and its worth all the hype

8 - I found this one slow and boring.

9 - Too sappy for me.

10 - An active FMV. I hate this type of game and this is the begining of unhappiness with the FF series.

12 - I have yet to play this although Darko told me its amazing so I will eventually try this one based solely on his recommendation.

13 - Another stupid FMV.

The ones I havent listed, I have not tried. Crystal chronicles I have tried and just hated it. Tactics is a sort of chess type of game and I dont enjoy those.

I LOVE Final Fantasy Tactics!  Mastering the Job System is so rewarding, especially if you decide to do the tavern jobs.

If you want a complete, physical copy of Final Fantasy IV and have a PSP, find Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection.  It's an awesome purchase!

As for Final Fantasy IX...  I would place what you said and add it to Final Fantasy VIII.  I HATE that game!  Main reason I have and keep one is for the sake of the Final Fantasy "numbered continuity."  Plus, it came with a video game lot I purchased a few years ago.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 04:59:45 am »
Tomb Raider - Lara was the face of games in the 90s. I've played maybe 10 minutes of the first one. I did buy it recently to try out.

God of War - God of who?

Contra - I've played a few minutes of a few games. But the total play time is something like 10 minutes combined for the NES, Saturn, and Genesis versions.

Duke Nukem

Sims

Probably some more.

I've never played Contra or God of War but I love Duke Nukem games but Tomb Raider is awesome!  I completed the first one on the ps1 last year.  The only thing I will say is give that game time.  After the first level, I was like, "this game sucks" but once you get used to the controls, play through it a little bit, I bet you will like it  :)

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 06:29:00 am »
Let me add the Metal Gear Solid games to this topic.  Maybe if I sit down and play them I will like them but I only played the first one on ps1 for about 5 minutes and never played it again..

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:15 am »
Let me add the Metal Gear Solid games to this topic.  Maybe if I sit down and play them I will like them but I only played the first one on ps1 for about 5 minutes and never played it again..

the ps1 game was amazing when i was a kid.
wonder what its like to play now.

scott

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 08:43:46 am »

I loaded up the original a few months ago, and it was still pretty solid. I would suggest the GameCube version, since it's got upgraded graphics and might make it easier for people used to today's visuals to get into. But back in the day, that game was amazing looking.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 11:28:49 am »

I loaded up the original a few months ago, and it was still pretty solid. I would suggest the GameCube version, since it's got upgraded graphics and might make it easier for people used to today's visuals to get into. But back in the day, that game was amazing looking.

A friend is streaming the whole franchise this month on Twitch, and I watched a bit of the first one.  The game holds up really well, and I found myself really impressed with the animation for that time period.  He's playing MGS2 now on the HD collection, and boy what a difference there is re: graphics.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »
I'm still sad that the HD collection didn't include Twin Snakes.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

Dude, you really need to take the time to shoot up the world. You can even get Hard Corp for your beloved Sega console. The games are hard, but dang they're fun.

I'm on the lookout for it. I've set the price at $10. When I find it for that price or less, its mine.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 09:29:37 am »

I'm on the lookout for it. I've set the price at $10. When I find it for that price or less, its mine.

Good luck with that. That is one of the few Genesis games up around $25-$30. I hope you find it though.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »

A friend is streaming the whole franchise this month on Twitch, and I watched a bit of the first one.  The game holds up really well, and I found myself really impressed with the animation for that time period.  He's playing MGS2 now on the HD collection, and boy what a difference there is re: graphics.

i have the HD collection but not played it yet. also got 2 and 3 on the ps2 but not played them.
just loved how the first made you do different things like switch controller ports and read memory cards etc.