Author Topic: Carts loosing saved games  (Read 873 times)

viktokai

Carts loosing saved games
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »
Hey Peeps,

Just wondering which point to attack first and what your opinions are on the subject. NES/SNES games loosing their saved games onto them... I'm sure everyone has been down that road before but here is my question...

I am to blame for loosing my save states to fighting with the game itself and ejecting them to fight to get them fired up... I know the golden rule is to hold reset but in the heat of the moment you forget sometimes and well the rest is history...

OR

Should I crack 'em open and change the batteries in them. I got to say it's a little strange that Sim City, Super Mario World and Super Conflict won't remember a saved game for crap... but it always seems to be after I fought to get the dang thing going. So guys and gals... what do you think. Oh by the way... anyone know the battery sizes for SNES and NES games?

I only wish people took better care of their games but some of these titles come in rough shape and need some TLC, LOL!

Thanks and happy gaming!
My first games were Megamania and PacMan and yes, I still own them along with all of my other Atari 2600 carts from when I was a child.

Re: Carts loosing saved games
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »
Ehh, I wouldn't blame anyone really. Batteries deteriorate on their own after this long a time. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the batteries but a simple search on Amazon/eBay for NES/SNES replacement battery will draw you some results.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:04 am »
CR2032 batteries. Same as a Dreamcast VMU or a standard watch.

Just out of curiosity - how long has it been since you tried fixing the pins on your console? The SNES should have less problems since it is a vertical insert. Also if you get the revised NES with dogbone controller it is also vertical insertion.

You must really use your SNES a lot because I don't have any problems with my SNES at all.

I used to have issues with my NES before getting the revised console design. The only bummer is that it only has a RF connection.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:30:09 am by DreamsDied13101 »
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:17 am »
Yea don't blame yourself but I can speak for a personal situation of mine.  When I very first played the legend of Zelda on the NES, which was 1 year ago, I bought it at my local flea market, popped it in and played it.  I first played for about 3 hours.  When I played it again the next day, My save file was missing and I was pissed.  This happened for about 3 times.  So I Googled it and I do think its true about the reset button.  When I started holding down reset to push in the power button, my save file was there  :)  Same for Dragon Warrior 1.  Dragon Warrior actually tells you to hold down reset then hit the power button.  But to answer your question, I would recommend holding down the reset then pushing in the power button.

viktokai

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:22 am »
That's just it, I have the Retron 2 system only a few weeks old out of the box. (I went with the duo model as I have a Genesis model 2 in hopes of finding the CD add-on and 32x) so both the NES and SNES connections should be tight.

Besides the occasional problems from the NES as most complain about, it's worked well. One strange thing has happened though and I got to say its a first for me.

Using an original SNES controller in port 1 and the Retron controller in port 2 my son and I were trying to have a 2 player battle on Super Conflict. (Always loved that little game.)

Anyways when it's my sons turn the Retron controllers button mapping seems way off. Down is up, left is right and most of the other buttons won't do anything. The controller works fine with other games so I'm going to do some more troubleshooting but it's starting to look like the Retron cannot send the proper coding instructions to player 2 in Super Conflict. Who knew?!?!?

Ya I know it's an aftermarket system and eventually I will stumble across my diamond in the rough original console on a treasure hunt but at least I can take some solace in that I paid no cash out of pocket. (Maybe $60 in spending on random sweet finds worked out to $170 trade in credit at a local game store.) I went on a nice retro gaming shopping spree that day. Lol.
My first games were Megamania and PacMan and yes, I still own them along with all of my other Atari 2600 carts from when I was a child.