Author Topic: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?  (Read 15336 times)

Bwigdahl

Re: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:38 am »
I definitely collect to play. I never really saw the point of collecting every game for a specific console, including all the crap, shovelware, Maddens, and BS that no one except a completionist collector would want. I only collect games that I someday plan on playing, even if that ends up being 40-years from now. With that said, I will buy a game I have no interest in if it is a good deal and if I can use it as trade bait. Other than that, I only want games that I will play someday, even if my collection is way smaller then someone going for a whole system set.

Hey, I PROUDLY own every almost Madden since 2002 (except 2005 and 2009). And I still play most of them... or at least pop them in to laugh at the rosters.

My Bad :p

I personally don't see the point of collecting every Madden installment, as well as the other EA sports franchises that get an annual release, but that is just me.

Yeah, growing up I played mostly only sports games and while I've grown out of that now, I still have a sort of soft spot for them. Especially Madden for whatever reason. It's still a yearly purchase for me. Just a sucker I guess, lol.

ffxik

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:52 am »
Both to an extent.  As far as games go i try not to pad too much.  Most of the filler I have comes from lots I have bought because it had a handful of games that I really wanted and the rest was an added bonus.

Hardware on the other hand.  I tend to collect any system I can get my hands on.  Doubly so if it has a major hardware revision. 

htimreimer

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 02:01:31 am »
i do a bit of both, i buy games, consoles & computers for the experience and to preserve gaming/computing history, the games i tend to play the most are from the 90s but this should come to no surprise since i was born in 95

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:32 am »
There are two reasons that I "collect". One is because of an urge to secure myself a legit copy of a game as prices and interest in these games continue to increase, while we grown ever closer towards the end of physical games - in other words, anxiety. The second reason, it's kind of fun. With that said, I do not and try not to buy anything I don't think that I want to play. I use to take a lot of gambles, and I still take some, but for the most part, I know what I am after.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:07 am »
Games I collect to play.

Consoles... I dunno... I seem to be collecting for the sake of collecting.

My Master System Converter and quest for a working Sega CDX are irrational desires since I really don't have any "must have" games in my wish list for those systems.

theflea

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 05:03:22 am »
Little of both, While I do play games I love like RPG's, shooters, fighters etc. I really don't play much sport games and only buy those when I find them cheap so I just collect them. (heck many of them just get put in storage.) All games I buy I play at least once. Not only to see if it works but to see if I like it. If I like it I will keep playing it if its crap then it goes in the collection only to be played again when I feel like showing it to someone.  :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
My Master System Converter and quest for a working Sega CDX are irrational desires since I really don't have any "must have" games in my wish list for those systems.

Ill take that converter off your hands then! Ive been looking for one for months but the prices are absurd.

bobster

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:59 am »
I mostly collect to play. The exception being that for some reason I want a complete Dreamcast collection. That's far down the road, but I'm always looking to get new Dreamcast games! Doubly so now that I have my sweet Hanzo VGA box/Scanliner.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:03 am »
I mostly collect to play. The exception being that for some reason I want a complete Dreamcast collection. That's far down the road, but I'm always looking to get new Dreamcast games! Doubly so now that I have my sweet Hanzo VGA box/Scanliner.

Haha funny enough the Dreamcast has been the only system I considered collecting the whole set as well. Part is was that I am almost half way there with the games I actually want on the console, and the other is that I just have so, so, so much love for that console. All the games (including the sports games) have this character to them that I am completely in love with. Seeing this video also didn't help matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_M0-IBA3Jw
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:24:03 am by bikingjahuty »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:33 am »
85% to play &

15% to 'collect.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:20 am »

Haha funny enough the Dreamcast has been the only system I considered collecting the whole set as well. Part is was that I am almost half way there with the games I actually want on the console, and the other is that I just have so, so, so much love for that console. All the games (including the sports games) have this character to them that I am completely in love with. Seeing this video also didn't help matters:

I have so much love for it too, but I didn't get a Dreamcast until after the system was discontinued. I think it was Power Stone 1 & 2 that sold me on the system's charm. Typing of the Dead as well.

I've noticed you going for Dreamcast games in the past. I kind of consider you competition  :P. I've seen a couple videos from the keep dreaming series and it's pretty fantastic. I want two Dreamcast fighting sticks so bad!

I hope you were able to nab those games from Foxhack. If PAX East hadn't just happened, I'd probably have the money to grab them myself lol.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

I have so much love for it too, but I didn't get a Dreamcast until after the system was discontinued. I think it was Power Stone 1 & 2 that sold me on the system's charm. Typing of the Dead as well.

I've noticed you going for Dreamcast games in the past. I kind of consider you competition  :P . I've seen a couple videos from the keep dreaming series and it's pretty fantastic. I want two Dreamcast fighting sticks so bad!

I hope you were able to nab those games from Foxhack. If PAX East hadn't just happened, I'd probably have the money to grab them myself lol.

Lol it's all good, there is plenty to go around :p

I did end up getting Capcom vs. SNK and King of Fighters Evolution from him, but I already have the rest. After I get those in the mail there are only 4 more NTSC Dreamcast games I am after (Silent Scope, Vigalante 8: Second Offense, Street Fighter III: Double Impact, and Illbleed). I also have about 20 import titles I am after as well. So I am almost out of the Dreamcast Collecting scene, although as I said, it is tempting to go for a full set ;)

bobster

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:04 am »

I've noticed you going for Dreamcast games in the past. I kind of consider you competition  :P . I've seen a couple videos from the keep dreaming series and it's pretty fantastic. I want two Dreamcast fighting sticks so bad!

I did end up getting Capcom vs. SNK and King of Fighters Evolution from him, but I already have the rest. After I get those in the mail there are only 4 more NTSC Dreamcast games I am after (Silent Scope, Vigalante 8: Second Offense, Street Fighter III: Double Impact, and Illbleed). I also have about 20 import titles I am after as well. So I am almost out of the Dreamcast Collecting scene, although as I said, it is tempting to go for a full set ;)
That's awesome! Watching that video was definitely inspiring to collect for the system. You seem to have a lot of patience (and perhaps a decent amount of disposable income), so I'd say go for it!

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:28 am »

That's awesome! Watching that video was definitely inspiring to collect for the system. You seem to have a lot of patience (and perhaps a decent amount of disposable income), so I'd say go for it!

Patience, yes. Disposable income, no. lol. I pick up the vast majority of my games on the cheap so it allows me to buy more. I also do a lot of trading with local collectors which helps reduce costs. I probably won't be diving into the import games for a while, and as for going for a complete set it wouldn't be that expensive for me considering 90% of what I don't have are games worth $5 or less.

bobster

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:26 am »
*snip*

Patience, yes. Disposable income, no. lol. I pick up the vast majority of my games on the cheap so it allows me to buy more. I also do a lot of trading with local collectors which helps reduce costs. I probably won't be diving into the import games for a while, and as for going for a complete set it wouldn't be that expensive for me considering 90% of what I don't have are games worth $5 or less.
Sounds like you have your answer  :P. But yeah it seems like once you get some of the bigger titles taken care of, the prices are pretty reasonable.