Author Topic: The Wii U is a failure?  (Read 17725 times)

dreama1

Re: The Wii U is a failure?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 02:12:51 am »
We will see. But the lose of 3rd party support, and EA sport games is big blow. And only 3 games this year are due for release that mean anything. And in my opinion I never thought the 3ds was a failure, and it's a handheld anyway not a console. But maybe your right, but the wii u here is dead, and no one cares they care about there xbox one, and ps4's. Asked a friend if he's heard of a wii u his response was wtf is a wii u. I think that's all I needed to hear.

Certainly agree that a lack of third party is not good and they need to announce more game dates for stuff.  I was just pointing out that the 3DS was getting called out for its lack of games and that it was failing, but it came back also and the Wii U has that chance if it can get more people on board, but it's not very likely.

I think the biggest factor is that the basic consumer just doesn't understand the Wii U, purely because Nintendo failed.  They gambled that calling it the Wii U would make folks think of the good selling Wii before, but people thought it was too much Wii and therefore didn't think it was anything that big of a deal.  I really wonder if they had called it something else entirely and then acknowledged it's backwards compatibility with the Wii afterwards, if it would've done better to be more obvious to consumers that it was a new system, and not just a tablet addon to the Wii.
The console looks to much like the Wii as well. I hate to bitch about graphics but I also hear it's underpowered. Really wish they would just ditch the controller, and release some rpgs. I would really wanna pick the wii u out of all the consoles but it's just not doing enough. The ps4 already has more games than it.

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 02:22:06 am »
The console looks to much like the Wii as well. I hate to bitch about graphics but I also hear it's underpowered. Really wish they would just ditch the controller, and release some rpgs. I would really wanna pick the wii u out of all the consoles but it's just not doing enough. The ps4 already has more games than it.

I hear it's actually a lot stronger than people think it is, certainly more than the 360/PS3, but obviously not as much as the PS4 or Xbone.  I finally picked the Wii U up this year as I thought there were plenty of good games for it and a lot coming out this year.

What does the PS4 have out now that is actually good?  Everything I've seen come out for it so far has just been rather lukewarm.  Just going on exclusives, I heard Infamous was fine, Knack wasn't that good, Killzone was okay...and that is kinda it.  The rest is all multiplatform stuff which I don't take into consideration for consoles anymore.  And I'm certainly not knocking the system, it's still in launch mode, but I haven't seen anything enticing on it at all yet or even coming up other than maybe The Order and whatever Deep Down turns out to be.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:24:46 am by kamikazekeeg »

blipcs76

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:50 am »
I think a lot of people are sitting by and waiting for Mario Kart 8 to release next month before they invest in the Wii U.  Mario Kart Wii was the biggest selling game on the system (not including Wii Sports), selling over 35 MILLION copies.  Lots of people love Mario Kart and will pick up a Wii U for that game alone.

That being said, Mario Kart 8 is a band aid for a much bigger problem.  There is simply no software coming out this year that anyone is discussing other than Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, X and Watch Dogs.  There's apparently over 100 downloadable games in development for Wii U, but indie games don't sell systems, AAA titles do.  They need to put the 3DS on autopilot and focus on getting games out for the Wii U.  They have billions of dollars in the bank, so I have no idea why they passed on acquiring Atlus.

Nintendo refuses to acknowledge there are gamers out there who want to play stuff like Bioshock, Fallout, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Dead Space and Dead Rising.  At this point, buying a Wii U is like buying a Blu-ray player that only reads Disney blu-rays.  Most of Nintendo's audience has been with them for several generations -- they're adults and want new, more mature experiences to go along with the nostalgia trifecta of Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

Where are the new IPs?  As much as we love these franchises, they're starting to get a bit stale.  It's time for something new.  There is so much potential with the gamepad that is being overlooked.  Imagine how AMAZING a new Fatal Frame title would be on Wii U, when you actually have to hold up and use the gamepad to photograph the ghosts!  But Nintendo is stubborn and continues to think that cranking out incremental updates to Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Wii Sports is going to sell systems.  It's not.  While that might be enough for Nintendo fanboys, it's not enough for the modern gamer.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:21 am »
At this point, buying a Wii U is like buying a Blu-ray player that only reads Disney blu-rays. 

It's more like buying a Blu-ray player that only plays Disney movies, but those movies can only be played on that player. 

They do need more original IPs.  Did creativity die?  It seems like they are playing it a little too safe with new ideas.  I would love to see some new ideas come out of Nintendo.  Take a chance.  Give me a little something that I might like.  Wonderful 101 was a breath of fresh air even if it wasn't developed by Nintendo.  Give me more stuff like that.

tpugmire

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 11:11:41 am »
I'm enjoying my Wii U more than my 360. Does that make me a fanboy?  It's all about perspectives. From a business standpoint, Nintendo is in trouble with the Wii U, there is no disputing that. I think it's too early to call it a failure. They may be able to turn it around, and they may not. From my own personal point of view, if I enjoy it, it's not a failure. If it fails to entertain me, THEN it's a failure. And that goes for any console, from any manufacturer.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »
We will see. But the lose of 3rd party support, and EA sport games is big blow. And only 3 games this year are due for release that mean anything. And in my opinion I never thought the 3ds was a failure, and it's a handheld anyway not a console. But maybe your right, but the wii u here is dead, and no one cares they care about there xbox one, and ps4's. Asked a friend if he's heard of a wii u his response was wtf is a wii u. I think that's all I needed to hear.

Certainly agree that a lack of third party is not good and they need to announce more game dates for stuff.  I was just pointing out that the 3DS was getting called out for its lack of games and that it was failing, but it came back also and the Wii U has that chance if it can get more people on board, but it's not very likely.

I think the biggest factor is that the basic consumer just doesn't understand the Wii U, purely because Nintendo failed.  They gambled that calling it the Wii U would make folks think of the good selling Wii before, but people thought it was too much Wii and therefore didn't think it was anything that big of a deal.  I really wonder if they had called it something else entirely and then acknowledged it's backwards compatibility with the Wii afterwards, if it would've done better to be more obvious to consumers that it was a new system, and not just a tablet addon to the Wii.

So you already told us you're sick of Nintendo's quote "kiddie games". Now you don't like the way the console looks, and you don't like the controller.

It really sounds like you want an entirely different console, and not a Nintendo console at all...so buy a PS4 or Xbox One then.

dreama1

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 02:09:01 pm »

So you already told us you're sick of Nintendo's quote "kiddie games". Now you don't like the way the console looks, and you don't like the controller.

It really sounds like you want an entirely different console, and not a Nintendo console at all...so buy a PS4 or Xbox One then.
The xboxone I won't even mention just expected more from nintendo. I'm tired of the same old mario games, and games targeted at children when I said that. Most would agree if there not total pacifists about facts. You really need to read properly what I said I said it looks far to much like the Wii adding to the confusion. Not everyone is a diehard nintendo boy like yourself. If they don't know what a Wii U is, or if it's different from the wii it's not going to sell is it brainiac? The controller has made things into a super niche for some reason. And it's battery life is like 5 minutes.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:16:06 pm by dreama1 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 02:12:51 pm »

The xboxone I won't even mention just expected more from nintendo. I'm tired of the same old mario games, and games targeted at children when I said that. Most would agree if there not total pacifists about facts. You really need to read properly what I said I said it looks far to much like the Wii adding to the confusion. Not everyone is a diehard nintendo boy like yourself. If they don't know what a Wii U is, or if it's different from the wii it's not going to sell is it brainiac?

I'm a diehard Nintendo fan? Huh, funny since I have more PS1 and PS2 games than any other systems.

I don't think the problem is that I'm a diehard Nintendo fan, I think it's that you're dieheard anti-Nintendo. More than a few troll threads have been started by you showing this.

dreama1

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »

The xboxone I won't even mention just expected more from nintendo. I'm tired of the same old mario games, and games targeted at children when I said that. Most would agree if there not total pacifists about facts. You really need to read properly what I said I said it looks far to much like the Wii adding to the confusion. Not everyone is a diehard nintendo boy like yourself. If they don't know what a Wii U is, or if it's different from the wii it's not going to sell is it brainiac?

I'm a diehard Nintendo fan? Huh, funny since I have more PS1 and PS2 games than any other systems.

I don't think the problem is that I'm a diehard Nintendo fan, I think it's that you're dieheard anti-Nintendo. More than a few troll threads have been started by you showing this.
Haha no sorry try again. I like nintendo very much the super famicom is my 2nd largest collection, and is my 2nd fravourite console next to saturn. I won't mention microsoft as there a lost cause. I mention nintendo because I like them very much, and it would be sad to see them head the same direction as sega. Studying history of failed consoles i'm noticing  nintendo is starting to make those same classic mistakes as those consoles in the past, and I feel ignoring it it could pretty decremental if you want to keep playing nintendo games in the future. I different direction needs to be taken, and playing around with smartphone games isn't that direction either, even if you do not agree to this. I believe more games for a mature audience from 1st party games, aswell as supporting the old franchises, plus more exclusives, and  as well as fixing 3rd party support, losing the controller for a price cut would be a good start.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:36:11 pm by dreama1 »

blipcs76

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »
Imagine how AMAZING a new Fatal Frame title would be on Wii U, when you actually have to hold up and use the gamepad to photograph the ghosts!

Yes, I'm quoting myself, but it's totally relevant.  Ask and ye shall receive!
http://gematsu.com/2014/04/new-fatal-frame-announced-wii-u

dreama1

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »
Imagine how AMAZING a new Fatal Frame title would be on Wii U, when you actually have to hold up and use the gamepad to photograph the ghosts!

Yes, I'm quoting myself, but it's totally relevant.  Ask and ye shall receive!
http://gematsu.com/2014/04/new-fatal-frame-announced-wii-u
"Guys remember Fatal Frame 4, we never got that, don't get your hopes up so quickly"
What happend to that gamecube horror game that was suppose to be coming. Get excited when it has a release date TBA basically means fuck you in polite terms. But this is good.

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »
Fatal Frame is perfect for the Wii U and I'm still hoping they do a new Pokemon Snap, cause it makes a lot of sense with the system.

dreama1

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »
Fatal Frame is perfect for the Wii U and I'm still hoping they do a new Pokemon Snap, cause it makes a lot of sense with the system.
A new pokemon snap would go together like bread, and butter with the controller. There really letting it pass by not announcing any pokemon games for wii u.

90snostalga

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:18 pm »
I just spent a good amount of time reading this post.  Very interesting. 

The only thing I will say is that I do not like the Xbox One but I will not be so negative on every post about all the down falls of it.  I'm sure its like everything.  There is a good and a bad to the system. 

Me personally, I have enjoyed my Wii U for the most part especially the game "Zombie U".  In my opinion, it's a fantastic game!  and I am looking forward to Mario Kart 8 that I have on pre-order.    :D

dreama1

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »
I just spent a good amount of time reading this post.  Very interesting. 

The only thing I will say is that I do not like the Xbox One but I will not be so negative on every post about all the down falls of it.  I'm sure its like everything.  There is a good and a bad to the system. 

Me personally, I have enjoyed my Wii U for the most part especially the game "Zombie U".  In my opinion, it's a fantastic game!  and I am looking forward to Mario Kart 8 that I have on pre-order.    :D
DRM that's all that needs to be said. I'm failing to understand why anyone would get behind them after they tried to screw there customers on every occasion possible it truly blows my mind. How does one go about getting shaked upside down to empty there pockets still come back to them? Stockholm syndrome.