Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 233539 times)

kashell

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #1575 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:29 am »
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them.

desocietas

« Reply #1576 on: December 08, 2017, 01:33:47 pm »
Details and release date for Romancing SaGa 2 finally :P

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/12/08/romancing-saga-2-remastered-comes-to-current-platforms.aspx

For those who can't access the site due to work/laziness:
The second entry in the Romancing SaGa series is being remastered with a slew of new features.

In a recent press release from Square Enix, it was revealed Romancing SaGa 2 has a new remastered version on the way for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. The remaster offers improved sprite animations and background graphics, enhanced audio, and new character classes and dungeons. The version also provides a New Game + mode for players to see the outcome of each of the game's choices.

The game launches Digitally December 15, with a 20 percent discount available through January 8.

I never played the Romancing SaGa series. How is it related to the SaGa series as a whole? Do I need to play the first Romancing SaGa before the sequel?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1577 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »
Gah...download only. But still, Romancing SaGa 2! Thanks for the update, Lady D.

I never played the Romancing SaGa series. How is it related to the SaGa series as a whole? Do I need to play the first Romancing SaGa before the sequel?

You can play the SaGa games in any order since they're not related to one another. Romancing SaGa 2 is the fifth game released since the series' beginning. It's also regarded as one of the best, if not the best. I have it on Super Famicom but haven't played it beyond seeing if it works or not. There's no need to worry about playing Romancing SaGa prior to it since, again, they're not related. That said, Romancing SaGa is great. Minstrel Song on the PS2 serves as a great way to introduce new players to the series since it has some nice QoL touches and is on a modern-ish console.

desocietas

« Reply #1578 on: December 08, 2017, 08:46:43 pm »
Gah...download only. But still, Romancing SaGa 2! Thanks for the update, Lady D.

You can play the SaGa games in any order since they're not related to one another. Romancing SaGa 2 is the fifth game released since the series' beginning. It's also regarded as one of the best, if not the best. I have it on Super Famicom but haven't played it beyond seeing if it works or not. There's no need to worry about playing Romancing SaGa prior to it since, again, they're not related. That said, Romancing SaGa is great. Minstrel Song on the PS2 serves as a great way to introduce new players to the series since it has some nice QoL touches and is on a modern-ish console.

Nice! Good to know :) I think SaGa Frontier II and Unlimited Saga are the only SaGa games I've played. I still love the former for its beautiful art, and I kinda want to play the latter to see if it's really as awful and torturous as I recall.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #1579 on: December 08, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »

Nice! Good to know :) I think SaGa Frontier II and Unlimited Saga are the only SaGa games I've played. I still love the former for its beautiful art, and I kinda want to play the latter to see if it's really as awful and torturous as I recall.

SaGa Frontier 2 is wonderful! I agree; the art is just so beautiful. The music is great, too. Kenji Ito didn't compose the soundtrack for it, but in some ways I'm glad because the game's Middle Ages/European feel wouldn't have worked as well with his style.

Unlimited Saga was pretty bad. Even after you take the time understand all of it, the game itself is just too random and ends up becoming a chore.

argyle

« Reply #1580 on: December 11, 2017, 12:16:07 pm »
Big update today! Some awesome new additions as well as some new release dates. There are definitely more games on the way that I'm interested in than I will have time to play!   ;D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

argyle

« Reply #1581 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:55 pm »
Doh, Ni no Kuni II delayed to March 23. :( 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #1582 on: December 13, 2017, 12:07:59 am »
A delay doesnt bother me. I can wait. :)

azure

« Reply #1583 on: December 13, 2017, 05:33:57 pm »
A delay doesnt bother me. I can wait. :)
Indeed. If it is to make the game better, don't mind the delay.

argyle

« Reply #1584 on: January 04, 2018, 06:05:41 pm »
Just to let everyone know, I plan to get the thread back on-track next week after taking a little holiday break. 2018 is already shaping up to be a great Japanese gaming year!  ;D

argyle

« Reply #1585 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:57 pm »
Happy New Year!  ;D

We're moving into our 4th year of the thread - that's just nuts!  I just finished a big update after my extended holiday break (hope everyone else here had a great one, btw). Lots of new announcements, updates, new box art. Also did some house cleaning - there were two titles that I somehow skipped updating last year when they released (Cladun Returns: This is Sengoku! for the PS4/Vita released 6/6 and Creeping Terror for the 3Ds e-shop released 10/31) - those were updated & moved to the archive site. Then there were a few that announced they were coming out next year & then haven't released or updated any info since, so I changed them to a "TBA". And one lone title was canceled - a Harvest Moon game for the Wii U (so no big surprise there).

On the horizon, looks like it's cranking up to be a pretty big year. Already getting some cool announcements, especially on the Switch side. And several big JRPGs that have been highly anticipated should see the light of day this year. So without further ado, let's kick of the new year of Niche Japanese Gaming!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:47:54 pm by argyle »

argyle

« Reply #1586 on: January 23, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »
Updated!

So I just noticed that we passed the 3 year anniversary of this thread a couple weeks ago. Anyone tired of me yet? ;)  ;D

desocietas

« Reply #1587 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:23 pm »
Updated!

So I just noticed that we passed the 3 year anniversary of this thread a couple weeks ago. Anyone tired of me yet? ;)  ;D

Haha, not at all! Thanks so much for all your great work <3
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1588 on: February 02, 2018, 12:13:40 pm »
Anybody know what material the Ni No Kuni II replica map is going to be made of?

Is it going to be a cloth map, thick cardstock map, poster paper map?

desocietas

« Reply #1589 on: February 02, 2018, 01:07:54 pm »
Anybody know what material the Ni No Kuni II replica map is going to be made of?

Is it going to be a cloth map, thick cardstock map, poster paper map?

I was looking for this info yesterday, too, ha. Couldn't find any real information on it...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas