Author Topic: E3 Thread!  (Read 10094 times)

karyann

Re: E3 Thread!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 11:30:43 pm »
My friend's fiancé is ranting at how Sony didn't show any games, so you've got someone else on your side, bikingjahuty  :P I still don't agree, but I figured you'd enjoy the support  ;)

I felt like both Sony and MS showed about the same number of games, am I off?

argyle

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:18 pm »
I didn't watch the MS conference, only read the live blog (and I read most of that after it had been going a while, when I finally got to my office for lunch).  It *seemed* that Sony showed more, but again, I can't say really because I didn't see the other one myself.

I can say that from what I read Sony showed more exclusives that interested me personally. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:50 pm »
My friend's fiancé is ranting at how Sony didn't show any games, so you've got someone else on your side, bikingjahuty  :P I still don't agree, but I figured you'd enjoy the support  ;)

No, they showed about 20 games each, and tbh Microsoft's conference wasn't much better, but I did feel slightly more excited about Sunset Overdrive, Phantom Dust, and Tomb Raider (even though it is a multi-plat). I felt my interest spike briefly when they announced Grim Fandango, but the whole time I yearned for something more, hoping they'd announce something like The Last Guardian or some sort of surprise that caught everyone off guard. I suppose Uncharted 4 might have been that one thing for some, but it was never a series I was that into.

I am definitely not a Sony hater, the PS3 is my favorite 7th gen console, and the PS2 is my second favorite console of all time. I guess I just expected more from them, and they did not deliver anything that made me want to get a PS4, even going as far as to make the XB1 look more appealing (even though I still have no plans of buying that either). I am really hoping for some surprises tomorrow at Nintendo's conference and even a release date for X will make the conference worth while for me. I wish Sony would have delivered, but I guess I am in the minority along with your friend's fiance lol

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:53 am »

No, they showed about 20 games each, and tbh Microsoft's conference wasn't much better, but I did feel slightly more excited about Sunset Overdrive, Phantom Dust, and Tomb Raider (even though it is a multi-plat). I felt my interest spike briefly when they announced Grim Fandango, but the whole time I yearned for something more, hoping they'd announce something like The Last Guardian or some sort of surprise that caught everyone off guard. I suppose Uncharted 4 might have been that one thing for some, but it was never a series I was that into.

I am definitely not a Sony hater, the PS3 is my favorite 7th gen console, and the PS2 is my second favorite console of all time. I guess I just expected more from them, and they did not deliver anything that made me want to get a PS4, even going as far as to make the XB1 look more appealing (even though I still have no plans of buying that either). I am really hoping for some surprises tomorrow at Nintendo's conference and even a release date for X will make the conference worth while for me. I wish Sony would have delivered, but I guess I am in the minority along with your friend's fiance lol

I'm in the same boat as you, I just don't think Sony delivered. Playstation is definitely my go to system to play games on, but compared to their conference from last year, this one was just lackluster. Last year we had the whole "Here's the PS4!" hype which granted, you can't really follow with out some disappointment. But last year they revealed the Order 1866, Infamous, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XV among others. All of those are really big name games. I felt that this year, nothing really was a game changer. Batman, Far Cry, Order 1866, Destiny, and Phantom Pain all look amazing, but those had already been announced. Littlebigplanet 3 and Uncharted 4 were awesome, but where was Sly Cooper or God of War? Plus there were way too many zombie games. And that whole thing about Playstation TV and the Power TV series about put me to sleep. That's something that will appeal to a someone more casual, not the people watching the conference. Those who watched the conference are gamers, who want to see games. At least that's what I wanted to see more of.

Oh well, come one Nintendo!

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 02:07:34 am »
Definitely thinking of getting the PlayStation TV bundle, Entwined, Far Cry 4, next Mass Effect...  E3 is pretty decent.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

abe

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:14 am »
It's the same - they said it would play most Vita games in addition to allow you to stream PS4 games to a second TV in your house, play PS Now games, use video apps, etc.  Pretty cool.  :)

Woooooo Vita TV, yay. :D It'll be interesting to see how the release plays out, considering that it didn't do all that well in Japan. I figured we wouldn't even get the Vita TV over here. I'm not sure why they decided to change the name though.  ???
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

karyann

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 08:54:49 am »
Plus there were way too many zombie games.

I definitely agree on that, and I think Microsoft was guilty of this too. Zombie games have been overhyped for a while  :-\

karyann

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 01:06:15 pm »
Oh my gosh Nintendo just blew me away again. I'm just sad that it was so short, but at least they have a few other press conferences today! I'm on my way to pre-order too many games. Can't wait to get my hands on these Amiibo figures, I'm a sucker for props and these are gonna be awesome! The squid paint thing game looked pretty fun too. And I'm more excited than ever for Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros!

abe

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »
Oh my gosh Nintendo just blew me away again. I'm just sad that it was so short, but at least they have a few other press conferences today! I'm on my way to pre-order too many games. Can't wait to get my hands on these Amiibo figures, I'm a sucker for props and these are gonna be awesome! The squid paint thing game looked pretty fun too. And I'm more excited than ever for Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros!
I agree, Nintendo's press conference was pretty awesome. :D It's nice to see that the Amiibo will be compatible with the WiiU and the 3DS. It's also really cool that we'll be able to use Miis in Super Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

blipcs76

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 02:04:20 pm »
Nintendo's show was good, but it lacked that real surprise that I was hoping for.  Most of what we saw was stuff we knew about.  While Splatoon looks fun, I was really hoping for something like Metroid or Fatal Frame.  Nintendo has to win the support of more core gamers.  What I saw today was mostly preaching to the choir.  You're not going to move Wii U systems without stepping out of your comfort zone.

Cute paintball game, cute Yoshi game, cute Kirby game, cute Toad game.  X and Bayonetta aren't enough to get the core crowd engaged.  A new Starfox slipped through, but no footage of it yet.  Hopefully they have more to show us.

That Zelda though.  Wow, that looked absolutely gorgeous!

argyle

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 02:29:22 pm »
Some "good", "bad", & "meh" for me from Nintendo's showing:

Good:
Xenoblade Chronicles X - My #1 most wanted Wii U game with a bullet, no question.  Only disappointment is that I have to wait another year, but I'm at least glad they finally owned up to it being a Xenoblade follow-up (was fairly obvious anyway :P).
Zelda!  Looks amazing - love the style and very excited about the way he's saying the game will play so differently this time.  May be the first time I get really hyped for a Zelda since Wind Waker.
Yoshi's Wooly World - when I first heard about this (I read the live blog before I got to watch the stream) I was unsure, since I wasn't the biggest fan  of Kirby's Epic Yarn - it was WAY too easy.  But this game looks to have much more in common w/ Yoshi's Island. 
Bayonetta 2 - release date & announcement of original game as a pack-in. - Glad it's not far off now, and that's really cool of them to include the original.  I still haven't played all the way through that game, and I expect this will be the definitive version. 
Hyrule Warriors release date - Very excited.  Gonna have to make room in my Fall budget for this one, no doubt.  :)

Meh:
Smash Bros - ability to use Mii's.  I've always thought Mii's look really dumb in actual games.  Just does not interest me at all.
Pokemon Sapphire / Ruby remakes - isn't EVERY Pokemon a remake?  I don't see the point of this. 
Kirby & The Rainbow Curse - This might be ok, but I'd just rather have gotten a traditional Kirby game. 
Mario Maker - neat idea I guess, but not for me. 

Bad:
No Retro Studios - Boo.  Boooo.   >:(
Splatoon - online shooter?  No thank you.
Jumping on the toy/DLC bandwagon - Ugh.  These things are just expensive DLC.  No interest whatsoever. 

??:
Captain Toad - I have no idea.  None.   ???

And I heard something about a new Starfox & that Devil's Third game, but I haven't seen anything on either so I have no comment yet. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:33:21 pm by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »
Yeah it lacked the major surprises it probably needed, but I liked it.  Only thing that bummed me was that Xenoblade Chronicles is coming out next year.  Was hoping that would get out this year alongside Bayonetta 2. Super excited for a proper open world Zelda game though and the Hyrule Warriors looked really good.  Very interested to see if they'll be showing off anything from the new Star Fox.

Devil's Third looks fun, a violent action shooter game and is Wii U Exclusive.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:48:01 pm by kamikazekeeg »

haloofthesun

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
Splatoon - online shooter?  No thank you.

That's what I thought when I first heard about it, but actually looking into what info we have now it seems pretty fun since it actually isn't much of a shooter and more of a "cover everything in paint while sometimes turning into an octopus" game.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 03:18:48 pm »
I'm not sure why they decided to change the name though.  ???

My best guess?

*Looks at the "successful" (L.M.A.O.) marketing strategy of Nintendo's evolution of their 7th-gen console (the WII) to their 8th-gen console/add-on/accessory/whatever-the-Hell (WII-U)*   :-[

I'm thrilled about us getting the VitaTV/PlaystationTV (and, like Greg, my understanding is that they are the same thing)...I'm actually even glad that I've been holding-off on un-boxing my OLED Vita (Why put mileage on mine when the girls' is always conveniently close & on:) & trying to clear-out some of my PS3 games before playing my Vita games, since my personal preference is to always go with a bigger HDTV screen (over a handheld-sized screen) + to always play my games w/ a DS3 and/or DS4 (over smaller handheld-sized buttons & controls).

Is it just me *OR* is anyone else noticing that there's more passive-aggressive FanBoy/Girl-ism showing-up in these E3 topics alone than what we normally see here in the whole rest of the (non-E3) year  :o

FoxyHacker!

I'll be sure to send you some PS4 and/or Vita screenshots of me playing Grim Fandango when the time comes  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 03:36:34 pm »
Actually, Microsoft Showed 10 more games than Sony technically. However, E3 was kind of hurt by all the early reveals and leaks, but mostly the early reveals. Did not help that the MS conferences showed all the annual multiplats, the division, and all the indies that will be coming out for all consoles and PC except the Wii u.