Author Topic: Greatest Non-Mario Platformer  (Read 4084 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Greatest Non-Mario Platformer
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »
What game/series is your favorite platformer, outside of Mario (just because I know that will be overwhelmingly the #1 choice).

Sonic? Crash Bandicoot? Klonoa? Donkey Kong Country? Spyro? Lester the Unlikely? Share it here.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Greatest Non-Mario Platformer
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »
My first thought was Donkey Kong Country.  That may be the one.  I think it is. 
I really like Earthworm Jim too.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:34:06 pm »
The first Jak & Daxter, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, and for something newer, Shovel Knight.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »
earthworm jim :)

argyle

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:57:24 pm »
2D:  Rayman: Origins/Legends, with special mentions to Klonoa 1&2 and the Donkey Kong Country series.

3D:  The original Spyro trilogy, with special mentions to the Sly Cooper series, Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Maximo 1&2, Donkey Kong 64, the Ape Escape series and I-Ninja.

Honestly, don't think those would change much at all even if you included Mario, besides a mention of Super Mario World under the 2D list (tho it still wouldn't unseat Rayman). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:19:55 pm »
My list:

1. Donkey Kong Country 2

2. Sonic 3

3. Banjo Kazooie

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »
Pretty damn hard to narrow it down to one game or series but here are some decent contenders:

BUBBLE BOBBLE!

The early Oddworld games were pretty good.

While some might consider the Techmo's original Ninja Gaiden series beat'em ups or something, I consider them platformers. I mean... come on. With exception to bosses, every enemy dies in one hit and a LOT of the gameplay is executing perfect jumps on platforms.

Mega Man!

Something more contemporary like Super Meat Boy maybe? I haven't played Shovel Knight yet so I guess we'll have to see.

The original Prince of Persia was definitely ahead of its time.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:54:26 pm »
I almost feel like its not fair to compare platformers from different generations. so here are my picks starting with generation 3.

Gen 3 - Adventure Island 2 - NES
Gen 4 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - GEN
Gen 5 - Crash Bandicoot - PSX
Gen 6 - Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - PS2
Gen 7 - Little Big Planet - PS3
Gen 8 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U

dreama1

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:57 pm »
Bonks adventure obviously come on. Could you be anymore unoriginal with the picks?

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Bonks adventure obviously come on. Could you be anymore unoriginal with the picks?

Not everyone had a TG-16 growing up. Or even now. :P

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »

Would you rather have had me make a list of every platformer ever made? I just threw a few out there for the initial post, those weren't supposed to be the only choices or anything. I mean come on, Lester the Unlikely?

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

I didn't know that existed till the recent years of seeing retro stuff on Youtube lol

dreama1

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »

It's on NES, and SNES.  ???

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 08:38:55 pm »

It's on NES, and SNES.  ???

Even so, it's still not anyone else's favorite. It may be yours. Feel free to add it to the discussion.  I don't really like the SNES one. I've never played the TG-16 version, but the NES version is fun.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
Donkey Kong Country series for me, my personal favorite being Donkey Kong Country 3.  Also really enjoyed Pac-Man World 2 and Banjo-Kazooie
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)