Author Topic: Best jrpg you have ever played?  (Read 10346 times)

dreama1

Re: Best jrpg you have ever played?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 08:25:08 am »

As I mentioned in the recently completed thread: I now renounce Chrono Trigger as my #1 favorite JRPG of all-time, and place in that spot Golden Sun: Dawn Dawn for DS. Awesome & epic storyline, great characters, great music and charming graphics, and a great mix of battles of puzzle-elements. The puzzle-elements were really well done, too, as good as Zelda puzzles.
This is blasphemy!

deftommo

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 03:58:37 pm »
I don't think I could narrow it down to just one, so here are a few all time favorites in no particular order.

Final Fantasy VI
Golden Sun (hm, maybe I should play part 2 and 3)
Final Fantasy Tactics
And although I never quite finished any of them, Shining Force and Fire Emblem games were enjoyable.

slipknotsam

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 11:31:07 am »
I am getting deeper into Bravely Default, and I love. I didn't play A LOT of jrpg to date, and I am wondering what I could play next. As of now, am simply astounded by the gameplay mechanics present in BD, the bravely and default modes to be more precise. I was thinking about starting over Chrono Trigger..
Can someone suggest what I should play next, looking at my collection? Feel free to suggest games that are not in there as well! Playing on My 3DS would be a plus! (No Spoilers Please.)
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Catherine (PS3) - Working towards the platinum.
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES)

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »
I am getting deeper into Bravely Default, and I love. I didn't play A LOT of jrpg to date, and I am wondering what I could play next. As of now, am simply astounded by the gameplay mechanics present in BD, the bravely and default modes to be more precise. I was thinking about starting over Chrono Trigger..
Can someone suggest what I should play next, looking at my collection? Feel free to suggest games that are not in there as well! Playing on My 3DS would be a plus! (No Spoilers Please.)

You might want to check out Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:19 pm »
^ I still haven't been able to find a copy of the first Tales game on GameCube to play. And I'm neurotic, I HAVE to play the first game in a series, first.

scott

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2014, 03:50:05 pm »
^ I still haven't been able to find a copy of the first Tales game on GameCube to play. And I'm neurotic, I HAVE to play the first game in a series, first.

Isn't Tales of Phantasia the first game of the Tales series? And that's available on the GBA (was a Super Famicom game originally).
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

abe

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2014, 04:46:17 pm »

Isn't Tales of Phantasia the first game of the Tales series? And that's available on the GBA (was a Super Famicom game originally).

Yes it is. Tales of Phantasia originally released for the Super Famicom in 1995. It has had plenty of re-releases and ports, but the only ones that have released in North America are the GBA version (which contained some improvements introduced by PS1 version we didn't get), and the iOS version.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2014, 09:52:03 pm »
Damn, guess I'll have to seek that one out, instead.

dreama1

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 09:21:14 am »
What's the point? Get the ps3 collection set. It includes it's sequel as well.

dreama1

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 09:30:23 am »
I don't think I could narrow it down to just one, so here are a few all time favorites in no particular order.

Final Fantasy VI
Golden Sun (hm, maybe I should play part 2 and 3)
Final Fantasy Tactics
And although I never quite finished any of them, Shining Force and Fire Emblem games were enjoyable.
Go buy grandia for ps1.

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:55 am »
FINAL FANTASY X!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:11 am »
Easily Chrono Trigger for me. The way the time travel elements affected every era was really cool and just spoke to sci-fi geek in me.

Other honorable mentions: Dragon Warrior IV, Golden Sun series, Legend of Legaia.

I should probably point out that I'm not that big into JRPGs.

I thought you liked King's Field a lot, that's a JRPG.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2014, 07:44:27 pm »
Easily Chrono Trigger for me. The way the time travel elements affected every era was really cool and just spoke to sci-fi geek in me.

Other honorable mentions: Dragon Warrior IV, Golden Sun series, Legend of Legaia.

I should probably point out that I'm not that big into JRPGs.

I thought you liked King's Field a lot, that's a JRPG.

It may be technically Japanese made, but it's FAR from your traditional JRPG style game. It's more in-line with Arx Fatalis or Ultima: Underworld.

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »
Phantasy Star IV and Ni No Kuni for me.

slipknotsam

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »
Phantasy Star IV and Ni No Kuni for me.

I will definitly play Ni No Kuni after I am done with Bravely Default.
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Catherine (PS3) - Working towards the platinum.
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES)