Author Topic: Games everyone hates but you love?  (Read 24339 times)

shwabadi

Re: Games everyone hates but you love?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 10:39:33 am »
Probably Two Worlds on 360. I know it's a pretty awful game, but it was the first RPG game I played properly and  it got me into some much better game!  :D

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:39 am »
I enjoyed Duke Nukem forever, Im not going to say it's a great game, it certainly should have been better in every aspect, but I did enjoy it for what it is

I enjoyed much of the gameplay, and was surprised that the first-person platforming was actually solid.  There was a decent variety to the gameplay, and the final boss battle was a lot of fun.

That said, I think it was a fascinating glimpse into how much the industry had changed in the ensuing 15 years it spent in development, because you could see the old pieces as well as the new.  Duke Nukem was "out-Duked" a few months before release by Bulletstorm, which  showed that even dick jokes had evolved in the past fifteen years.  Duke's "signature sexism" was less sexist than turning Samus Aran into a totally useless, crying little girl and damsel in distress (imagine if they did that to Master Chief or Nathan Drake), and ultimately felt tacked on and lazy.  I chuckled at a couple of his lines of dialog, but ultimately the game just felt like a relic.  A playable, generally solid game, but an unevolved relic none-the-less.

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 01:11:54 pm »
Wrath of the Black Manta and Bayou Billy.

Good fun all around to me. :')

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »

People hate Bayou Billy?

I loved that game. Part Rad Racer, Operation Wolf, and Double Dragon.

What's not to love?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »

People hate Bayou Billy?

What's not to love?

AVGN had a Bayou Billy episode. I didn't think the game sucked, either, but you know how it is. As soon as AVGN says something sucks, it practically becomes a fact.

foxhack

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »
Spoony said the game sucked years before AVGN ever did. :P

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »
Spoony said the game sucked years before AVGN ever did. :P

I said it sucked way back when. I also said the sky's blue. Both are facts.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2014, 01:48:27 am »

People hate Bayou Billy?

What's not to love?

AVGN had a Bayou Billy episode. I didn't think the game sucked, either, but you know how it is. As soon as AVGN says something sucks, it practically becomes a fact.

That explains it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Bayou Billy is a masterpiece. But "sucks" is pretty harsh for a game that successfully manages to mix 3 genres and have voice samples early on in the nes consoles life. This game was like "Holy shit! Nintendoes what Atarain't!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:04:33 am by dashv »

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 01:58:11 am »
One that immediately comes to mind is Alien: Colonial Marines. I found it to be way more playable and fun than any review gave it credit for, and the AI didn't seem as horrible as people made it sound. I enjoyed it quite a bit and ended up playing it all the way through with no major issues :)

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 01:59:51 am »
I guess FFX? My favorite game of all time. Its more of a 50/50. You ether love it or hate it.

I LOVE FFX!!!!

It's my second favorite Final Fantasy after VII.

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:36 pm »

People hate Bayou Billy?

What's not to love?

Last time I played Bayou Billy, I found it to be extremely cumbersome with bad hit detection.  That could be one issue.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »
I was the dork that liked Battle Arena Toshinden and not Tekken that all my buddies preferred.  I might concede these days it's not a great game, but it unequivocally has a pretty great soundtrack and I still find the game enjoyable.  I also remember Street Racer and Chocobo's Racing getting panned by reviews, but I rather liked them.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

retroone

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »
I was the dork that liked Battle Arena Toshinden and not Tekken that all my buddies preferred.  I might concede these days it's not a great game, but it unequivocally has a pretty great soundtrack and I still find the game enjoyable.  I also remember Street Racer and Chocobo's Racing getting panned by reviews, but I rather liked them.
People dislike Street Racer? I have it for the Super Famicom and I love it. It may have qwerky controls but its a great game!

gokurin

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:35 am »
Chicken Little for GBA.

No joke, it's a pretty fun platformer.
".........." -Gordon Freeman

pacpix

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »
Chicken Little for GBA.

No joke, it's a pretty fun platformer.
I used to have this game!  Not worth the 30 dollars I paid since I bought it at release as a kid, but I remember enjoying the game.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)