Author Topic: Anyone collect sealed video games only?  (Read 3972 times)

dreama1

Anyone collect sealed video games only?
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:15 pm »
What's the general opinion on people who collect sealed copies? Are they out there? What do you lot think about it?

davifus

Re: Anyone collect sealed video games only?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »
I think it really depends on the game. Im sure half the people who gets sealed games tend to resell it later or for trade. I have a couple games I wished i kept sealed but whats is done is done. I think sealed game are more appropriate if you get different editions of the game. Open the common one and keep the more expensive one sealed, but you know this is all opinion based so take it with a grain of salt.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:04 pm »
Eh... Depends on your income. Hell, if I had gobs of money laying around I'd probably go for a sealed collection.

davifus

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:47 pm »
Eh... Depends on your income. Hell, if I had gobs of money laying around I'd probably go for a sealed collection.
I dont know about that. I would feel bad because some else could have a better use for it then letting it collect dust, esp games with limited print.

Sharing is caring

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
lolz thats the thing though. If it's a sealed game is it really being put to 'good' use?

davifus

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »
Depends on the outlook of it. Some people might believe they are preserving it for the greater good. Some might be selfish.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:28 pm »
lolz thats the thing though. If it's a sealed game is it really being put to 'good' use?
Saw some crazy bastard that had every ps2 game ever released sealed. There's like 3000 right? Think last I heard he's collecting every ps4 game ever released, and sealed. The hell is he getting the money from is what I would like to know.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:59:24 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 06:30:56 pm »
Sealed collectors are a whole other type of crazy imo. I really never understood buying a video game, a form of interactive media, and leaving it sealed. To me it is on par with buying a car and never, or rarely driving it. I've personally met one of these people and they were among they most unpleasant collectors I've ever meant. Who knows though, he is just one person.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:45:54 pm »
I think I have 4 or 5 seal games. I'll leave them seal. It's kind of cool that it survived 25 or so years without being opened. Why would I change that now?  Besides, how bad do I need to play F-Zero and Battle Clash?

davifus

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:48:32 pm »
I think I have 4 or 5 seal games. I'll leave them seal. It's kind of cool that it survived 25 or so years without being opened. Why would I change that now?  Besides, how bad do I need to play F-Zero and Battle Clash?

I dont know... F-zero is a pretty tempting game to rip open and play...

thecrypticodor

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:32:09 pm »
How I feel about people who collect only sealed games? They're a-holes that care less about enjoying games as entertainment as well as a art form and instead care more about their collectability and supposed rarity. I love it that so many people just reseal games and rip those douche bags off.  :D

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »

I dont know... F-zero is a pretty tempting game to rip open and play...

I have a loose copy just in case that urge hits.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
I've only got 1 sealed game and that's Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. the only reason it's sealed is because I already had just a cart for it and wanted a complete copy. the new copy was basically the same price as a complete used one. so the only reason it's still sealed is that I haven't had a reason to open it.

dreama1

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 05:45:18 am »
Sealed collectors are a whole other type of crazy imo. I really never understood buying a video game, a form of interactive media, and leaving it sealed. To me it is on par with buying a car and never, or rarely driving it. I've personally met one of these people and they were among they most unpleasant collectors I've ever meant. Who knows though, he is just one person.
Lmao tell me about this guy. Why unpleasant?

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:10 am »
Of course I would like to have a sealed duplicate of my entire collection, but even some unsealed complete gameboy stuff is way out of my budget.  I wouldn't have 450+ gameboy games if I were only a sealed collector, I would probably have 20 or so.  I think I have 3 sealed games, Dragon Quest IV for DS I picked up at TRU for $10, Qix for gameboy and Alice in Wonderland for GBC.  Also I have a sealed Dragon's Lair for GBC that has a little slit on the side from someone cutting open the case carelessly.  For me it's just a nice little bonus to have some sealed games.  I also never opened my Majora's Mask soundtrack from Club Nintendo because I don't really want to listen to it.

Some people just get really good jobs and can afford to buy 2 of every game, or are single & childless, or some combination thereof.  I suppose I'll admit that I'm a little jealous of those people sometimes, but at the same possessions like that can be a burden, and the more value involved the bigger the burden.  The collection grows and grows, you can't sell it, you can't play the games, and you have to keep them protected for years and years.  My gameboy collection (sans boxes) fits in 7 shoe boxes & I don't have to worry about anything except losing one. 

People might say they are doing it for the love of gaming or posterity, but deep down you know it's because sealed copies tend to appreciate in value more.  Also, I've read that you can buy those machines to seal games in Thailand  ;).

Another good question would be:  How many sealed collectors or collectors for that matter have a lot of credit card debt?