Author Topic: Can you beat my Ps1 collection?  (Read 7167 times)

desocietas

Re: Can you beat my Ps1 collection?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 08:41:55 pm »
I love watching videos of people giving a tour of their gaming rooms because it's cool seeing how everyone has things setup, getting ideas I can use, seeing weird collectables/figurines/posters they have, etc.  But I've personally never understood the "here's a giant pile of my games that I'm now going to name one by one" videos.  Iunno, maybe that's just me.

I can see what you mean.  The format isn't very inviting.  Can't really see the box and the artwork/manual isn't really being shown off.  Feels too one-side of "hey, look at this pile! awesome, right?"

A tour of a game room gives more a sense of being a guest in one's home, seeing how they arrange things.  It'd be one thing if there's a closeup of the game box if the person making the video wants to give more information on what the game is, what might be special about the box, etc. Otherwise it feels like we're looking at games sitting 5 feet behind a big glass window and someone next to us is just pointing and reading out the names of the games to us.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:57 pm »
I love watching videos of people giving a tour of their gaming rooms because it's cool seeing how everyone has things setup, getting ideas I can use, seeing weird collectables/figurines/posters they have, etc.  But I've personally never understood the "here's a giant pile of my games that I'm now going to name one by one" videos.  Iunno, maybe that's just me.

I can see what you mean.  The format isn't very inviting.  Can't really see the box and the artwork/manual isn't really being shown off.  Feels too one-side of "hey, look at this pile! awesome, right?"

A tour of a game room gives more a sense of being a guest in one's home, seeing how they arrange things.  It'd be one thing if there's a closeup of the game box if the person making the video wants to give more information on what the game is, what might be special about the box, etc. Otherwise it feels like we're looking at games sitting 5 feet behind a big glass window and someone next to us is just pointing and reading out the names of the games to us.
I agree with that as well. I love looking at other's people collections and their different setups, because they each show a distinct character thats interests and draws us to those game rooms. Plus learning information about the different games is always interesting because you never know what games will interest you, as well as other cool facts about them. Don't hold back from showing and explaining your games back from other people when doing pickup/collection videos.

karyann

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:06 pm »
I like when people show their games one by one, but only when they put life in it. What I mean is, maybe giving a bit of information on how you found/heard about the game, when you bought it, or what it's like, what genre, if it's fun with others, whatever! Just talking a bit about your games. I like these videos, I like knowing how other collectors enjoy their collection :)

Warmsignal

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:49 am »
Tally another one in favor of the one by one format too, as long as they have something to say about each game, and aren't simply calling off the name and moving on. And I might be the only one who finds it mildly annoying when people don't appear to know what game it is they are showing, they give it the glare of being foreign and have to carefully read the title, and sometimes get it wrong. Gives the immediate impression that they buy a lot of games but don't invest much interest in them, much less play them.

Game room tours are cool and all, but what's the point of scanning past each row of games at 3 mph and telling me to pause the video? May as well read a text list and be as entertained. At least mention some of your games and why they are special to you.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 02:51:16 am »
Tally another one in favor of the one by one format too, as long as they have something to say about each game, and aren't simply calling off the name and moving on. And I might be the only one who finds it mildly annoying when people don't appear to know what game it is they are showing, they give it the glare of being foreign and have to carefully read the title, and sometimes get it wrong. Gives the immediate impression that they buy a lot of games but don't invest much interest in them, much less play them.

Game room tours are cool and all, but what's the point of scanning past each row of games at 3 mph and telling me to pause the video? May as well read a text list and be as entertained. At least mention some of your games and why they are special to you.

I also like the one game at a time video. Like you I like when they the collector actually has something to say about the game, other then just reading the title. The worst person I have seen with this is SeeJayAre. He gives me the impression he doesn't really care about any of the games he has beyond how well they fill his shelves. Sometimes he acts like, "what the hell is this?" when going through his games. Every game in my collection is there for a reason, and every game, even the ones I have not played, have at least a story about why I wanted the game in the first place.

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 02:59:33 am »

I also like the one game at a time video. Like you I like when they the collector actually has something to say about the game, other then just reading the title. The worst person I have seen with this is SeeJayAre. He gives me the impression he doesn't really care about any of the games he has beyond how well they fill his shelves. Sometimes he acts like, "what the hell is this?" when going through his games. Every game in my collection is there for a reason, and every game, even the ones I have not played, have at least a story about why I wanted the game in the first place.

Rolf. Yeah, he came to mind when I mentioned this. Definitely get that "what the hell is this game?" impression from him a lot, I just want to click off of the video. If they don't care, why should I?

argyle

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 11:54:25 am »
I'm fine w/ the one at a time thing as long as it's a somewhat small and preferably themed set of games.  Showing me your top 10 favorite NES games in your collection?  Great, show them & tell me why you like them so much.  Wanna show me your favorite 20 games you picked up in the last 3 months?  That works too as long as you're telling me something interesting.  Heck, when I finally finish my PS3 RPG collection I may do this with that set, because I can tell you almost every one of those games has a story. 

But just doing "this is every single game I own for console x" is a bit much IMO.  If you DID say something interesting about every single game & had a decent size collection, the video would go on forever. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 11:57:49 am »
I'm fine w/ the one at a time thing as long as it's a somewhat small and preferably themed set of games.  Showing me your top 10 favorite NES games in your collection?  Great, show them & tell me why you like them so much.  Wanna show me your favorite 20 games you picked up in the last 3 months?  That works too as long as you're telling me something interesting.  Heck, when I finally finish my PS3 RPG collection I may do this with that set, because I can tell you almost every one of those games has a story. 

But just doing "this is every single game I own for console x" is a bit much IMO.  If you DID say something interesting about every single game & had a decent size collection, the video would go on forever.

Good point.  Don't make a super long video - I know my attention span is too short for that!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 02:45:19 pm »
Lawl @ collecting 'competitively'  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »

The next Olympic event?  ???
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 03:27:34 pm »
Why are we still going at this.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 04:40:10 pm »

The next Olympic event?  ???

Indeed   ;)

Sometimes (like when several "Can you beat my _____" topics pop up)...

...I just can't help laughing  8)

...sez the guy still posting in the topic  :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:44:10 pm by disgaeniac »

foxhack

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 04:48:08 pm »

I can tell you exactly how I found or why I picked up 75% of the items in my collection, at the least. The other 25% is a mystery lost to the ages.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 05:01:01 pm »
That's a pretty bold statement on this site. In terms of quality and quantity of games I easily have you beat, and there are several collectors on here that dwarf my PS1 collection in both categories.

...and we have a thread-winning (and ending? :P ) post!

desocietas

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »

Because we all love chatting in this forum!  Even if it's not about the original post  8)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas