Author Topic: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.  (Read 8036 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:04 pm »
You can play SMB on N64 or GameCube?

maximo310

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 08:20:49 pm »
You can't play SMB on a N64, but if you use the Game Boy Player in conjunction with the Gamecube, you can play Super Mario Bros. Deluxe from the Game Boy Color on there.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »
^ Clever.

You could also get a Tri-Star adapter for the N64, if you go that route.

abe

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
You can't play SMB on a N64, but if you use the Game Boy Player in conjunction with the Gamecube, you can play Super Mario Bros. Deluxe from the Game Boy Color on there.

If you're using the Game Boy Player on the GameCube, you may as well use the NES Classics version of Super Mario Bros on the GBA. It's a closer experience to playing the original on the GameCube.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:06 am »
They would have to reprogram all games to not use that hideous red and black color scheme. It strains the eyes and just plain hurts to look at.

I don't think they'd have to do that--they haven't colorized Game Boy games, for example.  They went with red because it stood out more against the black background and created sharper imagery.  I actually don't mind the colors as much as the horrible position I have to put my body in to play the Virtual Boy.  I showed it to my son recently and we sat and played Virtual Boy games for an hour. 

Ha, maybe they're waiting until Oculus Rift is out or the New 3DS to do it.  It's all a crazy scheme by Nintendo--make sure the 3D works before putting Virtual Boy games on the thing, and then capitalize on the Oculus hype by showing "we totally did this back in the 90's--look how ahead of the curve we were!"

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 10:28:49 am »

That's why I said OG Gameboy.  They rubbed right up against it.

I just noticed that you recently added the Journey game to your collection.  Radical.  I don't think I've actually played mine yet, I just wanted to have it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:40 am »

I just noticed that you recently added the Journey game to your collection.  Radical.  I don't think I've actually played mine yet, I just wanted to have it.

My cousin had it when we were kids.  It's a pretty fun game if you can call any game on the 2600 fun.  It'll keep you entertained for 20 or 30 seconds.

argyle

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 11:14:40 am »

My cousin had it when we were kids.  It's a pretty fun game if you can call any game on the 2600 fun.  It'll keep you entertained for 20 or 30 seconds.

I loved that game when I was a kid - and I didn't even know who or what Journey was.  :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 12:20:33 pm »

I loved that game when I was a kid - and I didn't even know who or what Journey was.  :P

And best of all, I think Journey Escape fits this topic--it has only ever appeared on the Atari 2600 and seems to be a great candidate for the "extremely unlikely to ever appear anywhere else." 

foxhack

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »
I don't think they'd have to do that--they haven't colorized Game Boy games, for example.  They went with red because it stood out more against the black background and created sharper imagery.  I actually don't mind the colors as much as the horrible position I have to put my body in to play the Virtual Boy.  I showed it to my son recently and we sat and played Virtual Boy games for an hour. 

Ha, maybe they're waiting until Oculus Rift is out or the New 3DS to do it.  It's all a crazy scheme by Nintendo--make sure the 3D works before putting Virtual Boy games on the thing, and then capitalize on the Oculus hype by showing "we totally did this back in the 90's--look how ahead of the curve we were!"

GBC games weren't designed with a color scheme meant to be used in a dark enclosed space - a Virtual Boy visor. Staring at the games themselves on a proper 3DS with the 3D effect on and light from outside bleeding into your view, it'll strain your eyes and that's something Nintendo really doesn't want to happen. :\

retroone

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 03:33:20 pm »
Does K.C Munchkin count?
Also there is Journey to Silius and Gimmick for NES

foxhack

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »
Does K.C Munchkin count?

KC would count.

But Journey to Silius and Gimmick... were re-released on the PS1!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Series

Silius is on Volume 5 (with Hebereke / Uforia!) and Gimmick is on 6.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:47:10 pm by foxhack »

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 03:48:55 pm »

GBC games weren't designed with a color scheme meant to be used in a dark enclosed space - a Virtual Boy visor. Staring at the games themselves on a proper 3DS with the 3D effect on and light from outside bleeding into your view, it'll strain your eyes and that's something Nintendo really doesn't want to happen. :\

Right, that's a good point.  There would have to be some kind of modification done.  Virtual Boy games have existed in various forms of 3rd party emulation for a while.  You'd think Nintendo could get them to work on the 3DS.

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 03:59:33 pm »
Does K.C Munchkin count?

KC would count.

According to MobyGames, K.C. Munchkin appeared on three platforms:  Munchkin at MobyGames

Which quickly answers a question I'd had for a while if the Odyssey2 was an entirely exclusive library.  I guess know the answer to that now. 

I'd never heard of Journey to Silius.  That game looks cool.  According to Wikipedia, the audio was programmed differently from the majority of NES games, so it supposedly sounds very different.  I want to hear that.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:02:27 pm by evilnick »

retroone

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »
Does K.C Munchkin count?

KC would count.

Really! Well looks like somebody has to purchase a couple of games.