Author Topic: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.  (Read 8037 times)

So, this has long been an interest to me.  Truly true, ultimate exclusives.  Games that were only ever released in one place, ever.  Never ported, never revived, never revisited, never re-released.  Games that appeared one time, in one place, and outside of emulators (which DO NOT COUNT in this), can only be played on one platform, ever.

So, I'm looking for games like Uniracers, in essence.  It was released on the SNES, and never released anywhere else, and will likely never be released anywhere else, including Nintendo's Virtual Console because a lawsuit with Pixar put an early end to the game.  It is an exclusive in the truest sense of the word.  It exists in one place, on one platform.

If there are enough good posts to this, I may keep an update of the first post with a list of all titles mentioned.

desocietas

Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Re: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
I'm looking for something far, far more limited.  A lot of X360 "exclusives" are on PC or Xbox, or Xbox One.  Microsoft is especially notorious for talking up an "exclusive" that ends up somewhere else.   A lot of PS3 "exclusives" are also on Vita, PS4, and even PC as people disregard PC. 

This is the deeper level of an exclusive.  Older, in a sense.  A game that appeared once and the odds of it ever appearing again are astronomically low, if not impossible.

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:19 pm »
I'm looking for something far, far more limited.  A lot of X360 "exclusives" are on PC or Xbox, or Xbox One.  Microsoft is especially notorious for talking up an "exclusive" that ends up somewhere else.   A lot of PS3 "exclusives" are also on Vita, PS4, and even PC as people disregard PC. 

This is the deeper level of an exclusive.  Older, in a sense.  A game that appeared once and the odds of it ever appearing again are astronomically low, if not impossible.
SNES
twinbee adventure, asterix, secret of the stars

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:37 pm »

SNES
twinbee adventure, asterix, secret of the stars

Asterix was also on the gameboy and SMS

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »
I believe that the 3 Shadow Hearts games (on the PS2)

and

its prequel, Koudelka (on the PS1)

all, sadlly (as I'd really love either a new SH game and/or an HD compilation/re-mastering of the series) fit your criteria.

Rule of Rose (PS2) is probably another one and, so is my favorite RPG of the 7th generation Cross Edge (PS3).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »
The majority of the Atari 2600 library.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

byron

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:37:07 pm »
Not only 2600, but pretty much everything released pre-crash.

Dino Wars isn't getting an XBone re-release anytime soon.

argyle

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:50 pm »

There are a ton of Atari 2600 collections that have been released on pretty much every platform.  I'm sure there are plenty of exclusives still there, but iunno if it's the majority of the library at this point.

Dreamcast:
Maken X
Samba de Amigo (there was a crappy sequel released on the Wii, but not the same game)
E.G.G. - Elemental Gimmick Gear
Evolution 1&2
Floigan Brothers
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
Outtrigger
Record of Lodoss War
Seaman
Shenmue
Speed Devils
Super Magnetic Neo
Sword of the Berserk

I would also argue Power Stone 1&2, but some might count the PSP game that combined parts of both games. 

PS2:
.hack (all 7 games)
Dark Cloud 1&2 (sadly... :()
Rogue Galaxy
Xenosaga 1-3

PS1:
Tomba 2 (English version)
Suikoden II (English version)

Tons more...
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »
Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox. Not only is it exclusive to the Xbox, it's also exclusive to Japan. :P The game was developed by From Software, and even features full english voice acting.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

One may be forgiven for saying so, but a surprising number of those games found releases on the Intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, 7800, Spectrum, Commodore, or Atari computers.  Since there was no solid licensing at the time, everyone was releasing games willy-nilly everywhere.

It's weird to look back, but the 2nd generation routinely featured releases today that would be the equivalent of Sony putting Uncharted on the Xbox 360, but making it super inferior just to make their console look better, but to make whatever money they could off the "suckers" with the "inferior" hardware. 

But, the 2600 was also the popular console of the day, and received more titles.  So yes, it has a lot of "found literally nowhere else" titles, but it also got a lot of crappy ports from elsewhere.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »

There are a ton of Atari 2600 collections that have been released on pretty much every platform.  I'm sure there are plenty of exclusives still there, but iunno if it's the majority of the library at this point.

Dreamcast:
Maken X
Samba de Amigo (there was a crappy sequel released on the Wii, but not the same game)
E.G.G. - Elemental Gimmick Gear
Evolution 1&2
Floigan Brothers
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
Outtrigger
Record of Lodoss War
Seaman
Shenmue
Speed Devils
Super Magnetic Neo
Sword of the Berserk

I would also argue Power Stone 1&2, but some might count the PSP game that combined parts of both games. 

PS2:
.hack (all 7 games)
Dark Cloud 1&2 (sadly... :()
Rogue Galaxy
Xenosaga 1-3

PS1:
Tomba 2 (English version)
Suikoden II (English version)

Tons more...

This just reminded me that Seaman was supposed to be getting a 3DS port.  What the hell ever happened to that?  There is also talk of the Xenosagas getting an HD release lately. 

There is apparently a lot of stuff I need to look for on the Dreamcast...

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »
Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox. Not only is it exclusive to the Xbox, it's also exclusive to Japan. :P The game was developed by From Software, and even features full english voice acting.

Reminds me of Sin & Punishment for the N64.  What a bizarre way to release a game.

Probably an indicator that a Western port had been planned, but never released.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 01:26:02 pm »

I'm aware what "exclusive" means, but the other threads do make mention that the list of "exclusive" games is dynamic.  What was once exclusive to a system could be ported at anytime to PC or PSN or any number of other methods of digital distribution.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »

I'm aware what "exclusive" means, but the other threads do make mention that the list of "exclusive" games is dynamic.  What was once exclusive to a system could be ported at anytime to PC or PSN or any number of other methods of digital distribution.

Which is why I'm looking for non-dynamic "exclusives".  Stuff like Uniracers where the odds of it ever being revived or ported are so low, it's safe to say it's never going to happen.  Developed by devs whose doors have closed, rights issues lost to time, unknown modern ownership, messy rights or ownership split among too many places (like the N64 Goldeneye), or games that were killed by a lawsuit--like Uniracers.   

The exclusives of the exclusives.

I was aware of those other threads--this is something different.  Rarer, harder to find, more limited in release, even, in a sense, lost.

For instance, the original House of the Dead would qualify if it had only been released in arcades or on the Saturn, as the source code is apparently lost.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:39:18 pm by evilnick »