Author Topic: Mis-identified listed, Edit question  (Read 981 times)

tripredacus

Mis-identified listed, Edit question
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:28:01 pm »
Found a problem listing while going through my collection:
http://vgcollect.com/item/10490

72 people have this game in their collection but there is a problem. It is the only one listed in Genesis[NA] category and the problem is that it is the Canadian version. Everything is correct in this entry for the Canadian release. This includes the barcode, item images, cart ID number, etc. Verify here:
http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=78774

I didn't want to just submit an edit to make it the Canadian version because I'm fairly certain that not everyone has that version. The initial creator was likely correct, however the edits by jeffsgames and pacpix make it into the Canadian release. I will also refrain from creating the proper US release.

What can we do about this situation?

pacpix

Re: Mis-identified listed, Edit question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:18:32 pm »
I did not even think to check whether the box was actually the US release.  When I edited the entry I based my box text and barcode edits off of the images that were already in the database.  I am not very familiar with Sega so I did not notice anything wrong and I apologize for that.

I'm not sure what should be done with the database entry.  I lean towards keeping it as the US release and correcting the information.  However I don't know how many people added the game assuming it was the Canadian version and not the US release.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:04:48 pm »
... wait, what? Canadian releases have multiple languages in the back?

I would... personally add a new Canadian listing and PM everyone who owns the game to tell them "We have this new listing now if you want to switch to it." I've done that a few times, but never with something with so many owners.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:27:00 pm »
That's why I decided to do nothing and post a thread about it instead.  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:31:03 pm »
Ok so I thought about it... How about just edit out the Canadian stuff and add the US items. Then make a new entry for the Canadian release?

Also a question for admins as I do not know the capabilities of one. Can an admin clone an existing record to being a new one? The reason being is the information is already correct, including the packaging photos. I didn't know if it could be clone to the Canadian release to ease the time (essentially) creating a duplicate before editing the original one.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:12:01 pm »
Ok so I thought about it... How about just edit out the Canadian stuff and add the US items. Then make a new entry for the Canadian release?

Also a question for admins as I do not know the capabilities of one. Can an admin clone an existing record to being a new one? The reason being is the information is already correct, including the packaging photos. I didn't know if it could be clone to the Canadian release to ease the time (essentially) creating a duplicate before editing the original one.

I just save the image files and reupload them to the new listing. :p I do that when people submit covers for the wrong item. XD So yes it can be done, I might take a bit to do so since I'm busy at the moment and don't have much time for adminning stuff.