Author Topic: Life After Collecting  (Read 5117 times)

davifus

Re: Life After Collecting
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:23 pm »
Sell your collection for a dollar a piece.

Start over.

Repeat & Rinse until death.

Pretty Solid Idea
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:18 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

Hahaha!!

Hell no lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:46:36 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

Hahaha!!

Hell no lol

You drive a hard bargain my friend.

2 dollars a piece.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 10:57:42 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

Hahaha!!

Hell no lol

2 dollars a piece.

tree fiddy!

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

Hahaha!!

Hell no lol

2 dollars a piece.

tree fiddy!
cuatro.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:48 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

Hahaha!!

Hell no lol

2 dollars a piece.

tree fiddy!

Goddamn Loch Ness Monssa!

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:45 am »
I don't think I will ever get to the point where I stop collecting games/consoles.. My collection is very small compare to a lot of you on vgcollect... I have a really long way to go.. Nothing is complete in my collection... I think it's because I jump around a lot.. I don't stick to one console and continually collect for it.. I usually shop for bulk deals because I am so far away from a complete collection... I just recently purchased a CIB 32X with Star Wars for sega genesis... I thought about continuing to collect 32x games but I probably won't ...just buy whats a good deal when I have the cash. Next is probably a sega Saturn .. Anyways like I've said I think I will be collecting for a long time... If I had complete collections I would probably collect stand ups, posters, and other memorabilia for gaming. ;)

soera

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:56:20 am »
I dont think its about "finishing" for me as it is changing my focus. I recently got all the SMS games that were on my list as well as my PS1 list so Ill just move onto another console I want to work on.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 07:13:16 am »

I've thought abou going for complete library sets on some of my favorite consoles, but honestly I have no desire to own crappy sports titles and horribly made budget titles. I try to keep my collection as high quality as possible, which isn't to say that every high quality game is in my collection or will be, but I only want to obtain games that personally interest me. I'm reaching my limit with that. Even after that point, I'm sure I'll still run across games that I overlooked at one point, but decided to give them a chance. This has happened with several XBOX and Gamecube games after I finished these collections.

I started out as a "buy anything and everything" collector but I found that to be an empty endeavour at least for me. I really began to hate the idea of shelves and shelves of "filler", games I knew I'd never play. My collection is now much smaller but contains all games I really love and play. It's different for everyone but it seems to me that eventually, most collectors come to the same realization sooner or later and purge the filler in their collections.

I'm with ya, Atari!

There's no games in my collection (well, games that I've *paid* for, at least - I don't turn aside games that I'm given or find for free) that I don't eventually want to play.  Coincidentally(?), there's also no sports/driving games in it either :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 03:13:51 pm »

I've thought abou going for complete library sets on some of my favorite consoles, but honestly I have no desire to own crappy sports titles and horribly made budget titles. I try to keep my collection as high quality as possible, which isn't to say that every high quality game is in my collection or will be, but I only want to obtain games that personally interest me. I'm reaching my limit with that. Even after that point, I'm sure I'll still run across games that I overlooked at one point, but decided to give them a chance. This has happened with several XBOX and Gamecube games after I finished these collections.

I started out as a "buy anything and everything" collector but I found that to be an empty endeavour at least for me. I really began to hate the idea of shelves and shelves of "filler", games I knew I'd never play. My collection is now much smaller but contains all games I really love and play. It's different for everyone but it seems to me that eventually, most collectors come to the same realization sooner or later and purge the filler in their collections.

I've got elements of being both a completionist collector and a focused collector.  For, say, the Virtual Boy, I want a full set of the games.  For, say the Playstation or SNES, I'm not interested in uber-common stuff like annualized sports games, and I tend to ignore sports games everywhere I go.  These do not inspire me to spend money.

I even told a real crotchety mom at a garage sale, who was way over-charging for a Genesis and a Playstation, that all the games she was including in the price are sports games and that they're worthless.

redrowz

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 06:08:35 pm »
Get in to cooking! You'll never conquer that...

sin2beta

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:50 pm »
Start playing to beat all of them. Start a blog to document it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »

Start over.

Pretty Solid Idea

You kidding? People down here won't pay for anything since it can be downloaded and pirated. The only people who'd be interested are looters, and they'd just steal the games to pay for their drug habits. :P

A blog. Pffft. No, make a video series.  8)

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »

ehhh, this guy!! ^^

sin2beta

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 08:40:46 pm »

Damn straight!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c