Author Topic: Horror Games!  (Read 1991 times)

Horror Games!
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:09:55 am »
Tis' the season, so what are a couple of your favorite horror games?

Dead Space  2 - While not the scariest game, the constant dread you have through it is pretty great, fighting off hordes of necromorphs that can only be killed by hacking off limbs and crushing their corpses with your boot, I mean, they don't pull any punches with that intro at all.  I like a game with good atmosphere and I feel this game does everything right.

FEAR - No specific game, though mainly the ones before FEAR 3, these games could get down right spooky for sure.  I like that is a violent FPS game, but then your mixing all this visual horror throughout with Alma constantly showing up.  It keeps the heart rating moving lol Sadly FEAR 1 has not aged well at all as I'm come to find out, though it's still rather creepy.  I might take the time to beat FEAR 3 eventually.

At the moment, I'm drawing a blank on others I'd feel would fit here. I love zombie stuff, but Dead Rising, Dead Island, anything like that isn't scary.  I'd also like to put Silent Hill 2 through 4 here, but I never beat those games cause they freaked me out years ago and could barely touch them lol

*EDIT*
Fatal Frame - I knew I was forgetting something! This game scared the crap out of me and my buddies years ago.  It has the best mechanic for putting you into the terror by making you stare at the ghosts coming at you.  Look into their faces or die! One time my friend had a huge subwoofer under his bed that he didn't realize it's volume was way up and when a ghost showed up, it rumbled the bed and shook it good, freaking everyone out lol
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:14:39 am by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Horror Games!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:37:46 am »
Resident Evil REmake is the best horror game I've ever played.

spac316

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:50:20 am »
Eternal Darkness was really fun. I just loved watching how the game messes with you!

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:35:03 am »
Resident Evil REmake is the best horror game I've ever played.

Actually looking forward to the HD port they are coming out with since they redid a lot of the game visually and are adding in some slightly better controls.  I still would rather have full RE4/5 controls, but I'll take a slight improvement over none at all lol

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:07 am »
Silent Hill 2 and 3 and Luigi's Mansion!

azure

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:11:58 am »
Played through D this year on the PSX. Pretty neat little horror game, love the bad 90s videogame cgi the game had going for it.

argyle

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
Silent Hill 2 - Incredible game, best in the series so far IMO. Love the story that deals with actual mature themes.

Dead Space 2 - Loved the original, loved 2 even more. Chapter 10 is one of the best sections in any game period. Expertly paced.

Resident Evil 4 - For the same reasons everyone else loves it I'd imagine. ;)

SMT: Nocturne - Yup, a JRPG. Creepiest JRPG I've ever played tho, it nails that feeling of isolation and hopelessness that the best horror games get.

And this year I'm playing through The Evil Within. Have been going slow so far - as in, playing a lot of other stuff around it - but I'm going to really focus on it this week. If the rest of the game is as good as the first 4 chapters, it definitely has a shot at being on my all-time favorites list. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:26:08 pm »
luigi's mansion

cobraseph

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:00 pm »
this last week our girls are playing all their silent hill games on turbo mode lolz. they also borrowed our fatal frame collection. my wife is playing resident evil umbrella chronicles with me at nights. is getting pretty jumpy here hehe..

argyle

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »
this last week our girls are playing all their silent hill games on turbo mode lolz. they also borrowed our fatal frame collection. my wife is playing resident evil umbrella chronicles with me at nights. is getting pretty jumpy here hehe..

Hehe, sounds like you guys are feeling the Halloween vibe! :)

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

cobraseph

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 03:10:03 pm »

Hehe, sounds like you guys are feeling the Halloween vibe! :)

hehe yeah it's always like this on Halloween. the 30th and 31th is going to be awesome. our girls are horror fans. we gonna watch old school horror movies and play survival horror games.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »
I can think of two... but they do not hold up today.

Clive Barker's Undying
Phantasmagoria

abe

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
Corpse Party's remake for the PSP is my personal favorite horror game, followed by Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (also on the PSP).
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

cobraseph

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »
Corpse Party's remake for the PSP is my personal favorite horror game, followed by Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (also on the PSP).

awesome choice! our oldest daughter is a fan of everything Corpse Party. the 1st time she put me to play it i was ( :o wth!? )
i tho it was one of those obscure guro games.. but it gets really intriguing.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:03:16 pm »
They're not really scary at all, but I really like playing the Castlevania games for halloween.