Author Topic: Value determination  (Read 2772 times)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Value determination
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:46 am »
Is there a site where i can get the value of my video game collection?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

Re: Value determination
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:52 pm »
I'm not sure, but one way you can get a rough value is to figure the average value of each game in a collection is probably around $4 - $8 depending on what you have in terms of consoles and games. Just multiply the number of items in your collection by both 4 and 8 to get the low and high estimate.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:41:10 pm »
I'm not sure, but one way you can get a rough value is to figure the average value of each game in a collection is probably around $4 - $8 depending on what you have in terms of consoles and games. Just multiply the number of items in your collection by both 4 and 8 to get the low and high estimate.

Hahaha!

If I valued my collection's total value that way...I'd have to start taking some heavy duty anti-depressants when I saw the number  :o

TC, yeah...no

there's too many variables that can affect a game's worth - even if there was a site that listed every game ever made with a corresponding cost for each one...hundreds could have say, the exact same 500 titles...and each come up w/ different total values of their collection.

Once you've listed all of your items here, I'd suggest making notes of how complete & what condition & what version each one is - then, compare what you've got to what's selling on Amazon, ebay, etc and for how much, write it all down in a list, and bust out a calculator...and let your fingers do the walking  :P

Time-consuming pain in the ass cheeks?

Absolutely  :'(

Worthwhile & super-easy to update once it's done?

Absolutely  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »

Hahaha!

If I valued my collection's total value that way...I'd have to start taking some heavy duty anti-depressants when I saw the number  :o

It is depressing. It's easy to look at my collection and see CIB Chrono Trigger or Radiant Silvergun and be like, "oh yeah, the whole collection has to be worth 30k+". But when you consider most of our collections, the sheer amount of games worth under $10 pulls the overall average closer to that amount. I think on the high end, some of us might be looking at $13 per game. However this is a rough estimate, perhaps very rough lol.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:29:31 am »

Ebay.  List it all and see what folks will give.  The only downside is you have to actually ship it to them after it's over.   :P

P.S.  This is not the best idea. 

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:31 pm »

Ebay.  List it all and see what folks will give.  The only downside is you have to actually ship it to them after it's over.   :P

P.S.  This is not the best idea.

Haha, accurate, but painful.  But I do sometimes figure out a general value of particular items in my collection by seeing how much things have sold for on eBay.  The problem is that these numbers are always fluctuating, and it's a lot of legwork, but it'd be close to giving you a value for what you have.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »
You can try http://www.rarityguide.com/ (NTSC lists). But i dont think any site will ever be reliable as a value can be different in all the different countrys.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:19 pm »
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Prices based off sales from ebay. This is what most collectors use as a pricing guide. Also make sure the sales are accurate though because there can be mistakes.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:10:09 pm »
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Prices based off sales from ebay. This is what most collectors use as a pricing guide. Also make sure the sales are accurate though because there can be mistakes.

You have to be careful with PriceCharting.  You come across quite a few errors.  If the title of a game is in the headline of a lot, you'll get a false high auction.  The algorithm they use isn't flawless by any stretch of the imagination. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:15 pm »
Someone needs to publish an official price guide. Comics have them annually, so do sports trading cards, gaming cards, action figures, and even HeroClix.

There was one published back in 2007, and I have it. But it's pretty dang bare-bones. Just pure text on paper (and obviously woefully out-of-date at this point). I wish someone would make one, annually, and would do it justice like the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide which is chock-full of stats, grading tips, pics, and historical guidelines.

Here's a pic of that 2007 price guide, it's here in the database:

http://vgcollect.com/item/36222

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:37:48 pm »
Someone needs to publish an official price guide. Comics have them annually, so do sports trading cards, gaming cards, action figures, and even HeroClix.

There was one published back in 2007, and I have it. But it's pretty dang bare-bones. Just pure text on paper (and obviously woefully out-of-date at this point). I wish someone would make one, annually, and would do it justice like the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide which is chock-full of stats, grading tips, pics, and historical guidelines.

Price fluctuates too much. It wouldn't work. Besides, who prints stuff anymore? 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:06 pm »

Which is why it would have to be printed annually. And it works fine for things like comics and trading cards. All price guides are general guidelines anyways, not precise, of course spikes and whatnot happen. (Which is what market-reports for the past year cover in the good price-guides like Overstreet.) I can't tell you how useful of resource and source of information Overstreet Price Guides are for comic collecting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:47:53 pm by burningdoom »

abe

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »

People who like books? ???
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »

Which is why it would have to be printed annually. And it works fine for things like comics and trading cards. All price guides are general guidelines anyways, not precise, of course spikes and whatnot happen. (Which is what market-reports for the past year cover in the good price-guides like Overstreet.) I can't tell you how useful of resource and source of information Overstreet Price Guides are for comic collecting.

Honestly, I think it works in comics and doesn't fluctuate much because almost every comic collector uses that. Because of its widespread use, it is authoritative. Its a catch 22. The price guide would have to be widely used to be accurate. However, the guide would have to be accurate to be widely used. Comics just had the privilege of being pre internet boom. People used Wizard primarily.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:25:41 am »
Value only matters if you are selling.