Author Topic: Got a PS1. What now?  (Read 8303 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Got a PS1. What now?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 03:48:33 am »
I forgot 1:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Yep, best game of the original-style MK games.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 08:58:57 am »
Don't forget GTA and MediEvil?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:36:14 am by koemo1 »
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 09:07:00 am »
RPG wise, the PS1 & the PS2 are the best systems ever.

Can I get an "Amen"?

I haven't been through all of the posts but, if Castlevania: SotN, Alundra, and Klonoa aren't listed...they should be  ;D

There's a lot of great PS1 games but - unfortunately, now's not the best time (unless you get lucky) for finding a lot of them on the cheap  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »
I'm not sure about Xenogears being "cheap," but it's definitely a must-have!  That and games like Star Ocean and Chrono Cross.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »
Chrono Cross is pretty cheap now, and the Star Ocean the Second Story isn't too bad in price either, along with Parasite Eve. Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy Origins/Chronicles are pretty cheap. However, most of the other good rpgs in the PS1 library are rising in price over $30, so luck in finding some decent deals with those. ( besides the other rpgs I mentioned in my earlier post).

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 12:06:13 pm »
Thanks for the titles. The prices are getting crazy so I figure I'd ask, because there's no way I'm gonna build a collection on 20 dollars a game at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:40:41 pm by badATchaos »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
Check out the Marketplace on here.  Someone had a bunch of PS1 games for sale at a pretty reasonable price.  I know I saw some Final Fantasy titles on there.

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »
Was it you?  ;)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »
Was it you?  ;)

Nope. I was just too lazy to look.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 11:06:36 pm »
Survival Horrors?  Any of the Resident Evils, Dino Crisis...

JRPGS?  Anything with Atlus on it.  Though if you're looking for good rpgs that aren't the typical square fluff you're probably going to be spending a pretty penny (over thirty dollars).

Spyro was pretty great, btw!

maximo310

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:44 am »

JRPGS?  Anything with Atlus on it.  Though if you're looking for good rpgs that aren't the typical square fluff you're probably going to be spending a pretty penny (over thirty dollars).

Most of the Atlus rpgs are hitting above $50-60+ for the most part, especially the Persona games. I would only reccomend getting those if you have the money to spare, otherwise I'd reccomend going for the cheap jrpgs instead.

argyle

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 04:26:31 am »
RPG wise, the PS1 & the PS2 are the best systems ever.

Can I get an "Amen"?

I haven't been through all of the posts but, if Castlevania: SotN, Alundra, and Klonoa aren't listed...they should be  ;D

There's a lot of great PS1 games but - unfortunately, now's not the best time (unless you get lucky) for finding a lot of them on the cheap  :-\

Nothing touches the PS2 when it comes to JRPGs, but the PS1 is a strong second place. And all three games you named are amazing - SotN is in my top-3 all time, and Klonoa is just an amazing game. Both of those are a little pricey these days, but fortunately there are tons of ways to play SotN and Klonoa got a really good Wii port that I highly recommend (just for the love of all that is holy, go into the options and switch the vocals back to the "gibberish talk" they were originally). 

I haven't seen anyone mention these gems:
Ape Escape
Wipeout 1 & 2
Crash Team Racing (still one of the all-time best kart racers)

Square was in their prime during the PS1 & most of the PS2 days. It's an injustice to dismiss their PS1 output as "fluff" IMO - even beyond the main FF7-9 games you had games such as Xenogears, FF Tactics, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Threads of Fate and Chrono Cross. Probably more I'm leaving out. Sure, if you ONLY played Square RPGs from that system you're leaving out a ton of amazing games, but ignoring them is just as much of a crime.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 11:15:05 am »
So far I bought Tomb Raider 2 and Syphonfilter

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 08:18:32 pm »
Omega Boost