Author Topic: Got a PS1. What now?  (Read 8299 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: Got a PS1. What now?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »
I guess in a similar vein what are some better lesser-known RPGs on the PS1? Grew up a nintendo/sega kid and didnt go sony until the PS2 and trying to catch up myself.

argyle

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 02:14:21 am »
I guess in a similar vein what are some better lesser-known RPGs on the PS1? Grew up a nintendo/sega kid and didnt go sony until the PS2 and trying to catch up myself.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - Sort of a "beginners" RPG but charming as all get-out.
Alundra - An amazing game in the style of 2D overhead Zelda.
Breath of Fire III/IV - Both of these games are great - IV did the "swap a non-active party member into battle mid-battle" thing before FFX did it.
Legend of Legaia - A very cool combat system that incorporates fighting game-style combos into a turn based RPG. Also has a really memorable soundtrack.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 02:54:17 am »
Legend of Legaia - A very cool combat system that incorporates fighting game-style combos into a turn based RPG. Also has a really memorable soundtrack.

I definitely 2nd this choice. I love this game. The combat system is really cool to play with, well unless you cheat and get all the moves in the strategy guide. I liked the story, too. A must-have in any RPG fan's PS1 library, IMO.

I also want to point out King's Field 1 & 2. They're action-RPGs played from a first-person view. These were early From Software games, who makes the Demon's/Dark Souls games and Armored Core games, and very early PS1 games. As such, they are a little rough in the graphics department. People seem to love them or hate them, though. As it does have slower-paced gameplay and can be challenging. It's also very exploration-driven. So I'd say give them a try first, if you can. I adore them, though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:09:49 am by burningdoom »

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 02:49:00 am »
Ghost in the Shell
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 12:25:15 pm »
It's been a long time since I've checked prices for PS1 games, but here's a couple of titles that should not be expensive and that I've played to death: Project Overkill (Konami). The controls are wierd, but once you get used to it, can be an enjoyable 2D isometric gore fest. Same thing for Loaded. The first Driver was awesome if you like doing burnouts in 70's V8 cars. Twisted Metal 2. Demolition Derby Raw. Tekken 2 and 3 are some of the best Fighting games ever. Metal Gear Solid, Final Doom, Die Hard Trilogy, GTA 2, Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain, Tenchu Stealth Assassins, Bushido Blade, Mobile Light Force, Sol Divide... Maybe a bit more pricy now: Casltevania SOTN and Chronicles, Metal Slug X, The Raiden Project

retroone

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 03:06:50 pm »
Metal Gear Solid. Anything made by Naughty Dog. And CASTLEVANIA SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT!!

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 11:01:58 am »
Just picked up Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night

retroone

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 01:26:17 pm »
Your collection is complete....

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 01:35:00 pm »

I just read that as "Metal Gear Symphony of the Night" and for a moment everything was awesome.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 10:42:30 am »
Let me just say that Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome. For anyone in here like me just getting into PS1 collecting that game is definitely worth it if you like SRPGs

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:29 am »
Definitely agree with you, tafk.  Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite strategy RPG!  If you want a more fleshed-out translation and cutscenes with voiceovers, Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions on the PSP or digitally for the Vita.

As far as lesser-known RPGs, not sure if I'm right about these but here goes...

Strategy RPGs:
Front Mission 3:  Not a big fan of the main protagonist but really enjoyable gameplay.  Definitely loved Front Mission 4 on the PlayStation 2.
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth:  Rewards you with possibly better item drops when you chain a combo.
Kartia:  Still takes time for me to learn how to do the crafting system but still a decent game.  May need to warn you, I have a bit of an Atlus/Sega/Sony addiction.

Action RPGs:
Darkstone:  Diablo-esque gameplay with randomized dungeons.  Need to replay this game when I'm able to find one.  Also available on PC.
Threads Of Fate:  Only played Rue's path but I enjoyed the adventuring and gameplay.
Vagrant Story:  Did not get very far but disabling limbs, with a targeting dome similar to Parasite Eve, along with the weapon-crafting and maintenance...  Awesome!

Turn-based RPGs:
Beyond The Beyond, Legend Of Dragoon:  From my days of a mild Atlus-, Sega-, Square-Enix-, and Sony-published game addictions.
Grandia & Lunar series:  Some re-edited content from the Sega Saturn version.  Awesome games, though.
Thousand Arms:  Some dating-sim elements incorporated into weapon upgrading.  Battle system is one character fighting, while party members support/buff/debuff.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

retroone

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:55 am »
Some underrated titles are....
Andretti Racing
Ballistic
Project: Horned Owl (METALICA!)
C: The Contra Adventure
Contra Legacy of War
Hexen

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 12:04:39 am »
I enjoyed the Croc series, fun platformers, and they are pretty cheap, but also look into Resident Evil 1-3 as well, also consider Metal Gear Solid.

psydswipe

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »
Possibly not worth playing now but the original Gran Turismo isn't a bad one to collect, it's certainly a classic though I have no idea on cost. Tenchu is one of my PlayStation favorites and even though I don't love fighting games, I've had a lot of fun with Tekken 3. If you like space combat sims Colony Wars is good, if a bit short.

gf78

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:56 pm »
Other than RPGs, most of the games on PS1 are cheap. And even some of those can be cheap. There are a few exceptions, of course. But for the most part, you'll find it to be a very affordable system to collect for. And if basic graphics don't bother you much, there's actually a lot of innovative gameplay to be found in this era.

My recommendations for cheap, good PS1 games:

Action/Adventure:
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Fighting Force
-Medievil
-Mega Man X 4-6
-Metal Slug X
-Resident Evil 1-3
-Spider-Man 1 & 2
-Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

Light-Gun Shooters:
-Area 51
-Time Crisis

Platformers:
-Crash Bandicoot 1-3
-Gex
-Rayman
-Spyro the Dragon 1-3

RPGs:
-Brave Fencer Musashi
-King's Field 1 & 2
-Legend of Legaia
-Xenogears

Shoot-Em Ups:
-Apocalypse
-Darius Gaiden
-Raiden Project
-Strikers 1945
-Thunder Force V

Other:
-Jet Moto series (jet-ski racing)
-Road Rash 3-D (mixture of motorcycle-racing and combat)
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4 (skateboarding)
-Twisted Metal 1-4 (vehicular-combat)
-Vigilante 8 & V8: 2nd Offense (vehicular-combat)
-WWF Smackdown 1 & 2 (wrestling)

I guess your definition and my definition of cheap is a bit different.  Castlevania Symphony of the Night is expensive as hell.  MediEvil 1 & 2 are $20 and up each, and the price of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro PS1 games have gone through the roof as well.  And trying to find a cheap copy of Xenogears is harder than finding a Unicorn.   :-[
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us