Author Topic: Does anyone know any good RPGs that don't cost too much?  (Read 2500 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Does anyone know any good RPGs that don't cost too much?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:52 pm »
I really like RPGs but I have trouble finding RPGs that don't cost a lot of money. Specifically ones for the consoles I have.

I own these consoles:
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
3DS
Playstation 2
SNES
Genesis
Original Xbox

I fixed your list for you. :) I will respond on the other consoles.

You're not looking hard enough if you can't find good, cheap RPGs on the XBox. Some of the best RPGs of that generation can be found on the XBox (just not JRPGs):

-Arx Fatalis - Very inspired by Ultima: Underworld. But modernized with better graphics, sound, and a larger world to explore.

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 - You know how these hack-n-slash RPGs are, either you love them and just can't get enough loot; or you're bored to tears by the repetitiveness of it. If you do enjoy these games, then these 2 are some of the best that can be had on a console. Multiple-character classes to buff-up, and lots of secrets, loot, and exploration.

-Dungeons & Dragon: Heroes - Totally a clone of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games. But that's not a bad thing if you like hack-n-slash RPGs.

-The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition - Bar-none, the single greatest RPG of that generation. There's no other competitor that comes close, in my mind. The game is mind-blowingly huge and detailed, especially considering it was 2 generations ago now. The graphics, at the time, were mind-blowing, too. But it was an early XBox release, so don't expect it to hold up so well today. One of those games you can play for 100+ hours and still find things to do.

-Fable - This game started an entire franchise. It's feels a bit beginnerish, in that the RPG-elements never get too complicated. But it does have a very large world with a crap-load of stuff to do. It also has a very unique, and almost cheery charm to the towns and characters.

-Jade Empire - Fantastic action-RPG that focuses on Feudal China and martial-arts. It also has a high-emphasis on morals and how your decisions affect the character and story. Very unique, and any RPG fan should play through this one, at least once.

-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Man, if you enjoy Marvel Comics, on any level, then you'll just have a freaking blast with this game. Mix and match Marvel characters to create your own team. Level-up characters and super-powers as you go. Go to familiar locations and do battle with Marvel's baddest. Great stuff!

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 - There are people that STILL swear that these are the greatest Star Wars games ever made. And that's due to the way these games take the Force and make one helluva of a level-up and abilities system for an RPG out of it. Not just Star Wars fan-service here, but a great game.

-X-Men Legends 1 & 2 - The precursor to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Mixes hack-n-slash RPG gameplay with Marvel Comics' characters, locales, and stories. Lots of goodies for X-Men fans to find and unlock, complete fan-service!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:48:42 pm by burningdoom »

maximo310

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »
I really like RPGs but I have trouble finding RPGs that don't cost a lot of money. Specifically ones for the consoles I have.

I own these consoles:
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
3DS
Playstation 2
SNES
Genesis
Original Xbox

I fixed your list for you. :) I will respond on the other consoles.

You're not looking hard enough if you can't find good, cheap RPGs on the XBox. Some of the best RPGs of that generation can be found on the XBox (just not JRPGs):

-Arx Fatalis - Very inspired by Ultima: Underworld. But modernized with better graphics, sound, and a larger world to explore.

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 - You know how these hack-n-slash RPGs are, either you love them and just can't get enough loot; or you're bored to tears by the repetitiveness of it. If you do enjoy these games, then these 2 are some of the best that can be had on a console. Multiple-character classes to buff-up, and lots of secrets, loots, and exploration.

-Dungeons & Dragon: Heroes - Totally a clone of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games. But that's not a bad thing if you like hack-n-slash RPGs.

-The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition - Bar-none, the single greatest RPG of that generation. There's no other competitor that comes close, in my mind. The game is mind-blowingly huge and detailed, especially considering it was 2 generations ago now. The graphics, at the time, were mind-blowing, too. But it was an early XBox release, so don't expect it to hold up so well today. One of those games you can play for 100+ hours and still find things to do.

-Fable - This game started an entire franchise. It's feels a bit beginnerish, in that the RPG-elements never get too complicated. But it does have a very large world with a crap-load of stuff to do. It also has a very unique, and almost cheery charm to the towns and characters.

-Jade Empire - Fantastic action-RPG that focuses on Feudal China and martial-arts. It also has a high-emphasis on morals and how your decisions affect the character and story. Very unique, and any RPG fan should play through this one, at least once.

-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Man, if you enjoy Marvel Comics, on any level, then you'll just have a freaking blast with this game. Mix and match Marvel characters to create your own team. Level-up characters and super-powers as you go. Go to familiar locations and do battle with Marvel's baddest. Great stuff!

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 - There are people that STILL swear that these are the greatest Star Wars games ever made. And that's due to the way these games take the Force and make one helluva of a level-up and abilities system for an RPG out of it. Not just Star Wars fan-service here, but a great game.

-X-Men Legends 1 & 2 - The precursor to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Mixes hack-n-slash RPG gameplay with Marvel Comics' characters, locales, and stories. Lots of goodies for X-Men fans to find and unlock, complete fan-service!
Another note I would make is that since collecting interest in the original Xbox is not very high and will probably be that way, most of the cheap prices for these will stay mostly the same or climb only a little bit over time so that you can pick these games up at any time.

soera

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 08:51:51 am »
You're not looking hard enough if you can't find good, cheap RPGs on the XBox. Some of the best RPGs of that generation can be found on the XBox (just not JRPGs)

Im not saying there arent some games with an RPG resemblance on the Xbox. Im saying the Xbox sucks. D&D heroes is definitely a decent Baldur's gate-like hack and slash. Morrowind was a huge time sink for me when I was younger and it was incredibly awesome.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 01:43:56 pm »
You can pick up a copy of Persona 4 for $20 on ps2

thekosmickollector

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 03:22:26 pm »
You can pick up Morrowind on the original Xbox for about £10 over here in the UK.

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »
Couldn't hurt to check Gamestop's bargain bins - many older RPGs can be found CIB and in decent condition for under $20 (if not under $10) for DS and 3DS.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:50:17 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:40 pm »
Oblivion is inexpensive as well, if no one else has mentioned it.  Couldn't hurt to check Gamestop's bargain bins - many older 360 RPGs can be found CIB and in decent condition for under $20 (if not under $10).

Oblivion is a HUGE improvement over Morrowind, too. I was just mentioning original Xbox games in that particular post.

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »
Oblivion is inexpensive as well, if no one else has mentioned it.  Couldn't hurt to check Gamestop's bargain bins - many older 360 RPGs can be found CIB and in decent condition for under $20 (if not under $10).

Oblivion is a HUGE improvement over Morrowind, too. I was just mentioning original Xbox games in that particular post.

Yeah, I removed that from my post because I realized they said they had the original Xbox and not 360 :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas