Author Topic: Do we really need a Clothing Catagory?  (Read 2945 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Do we really need a Clothing Catagory?
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:42:01 pm »
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for this.... but come on guys... a clothing catagory?  we're a video game database... not a closet organizer....WTF!  ;)

seriously though, this site is starting to loose focus on video games... in my honest opinion, i think the only things that should be allowed on this site are:

1.) Games/Systems
2.) Gaming accessories
3.) Strategy guides

and Maybe old game magazines...  anyone else feel me on this?  ;D

-Retro

Re: Do we really need a Clothing Catagory?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:58 pm »
I don't think we're losing focus on games at all. Because, well, it's not a new category. So to say that we're "starting" to do anything with the clothing category is wrong, since there are edits in the category that date to 2012. And it's a subsection of Swag, which is pretty far out of the way in terms of categories. I don't really think it should be a section personally, but that's beyond me, and I don't want to dispute it since it does hold legitimacy.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:23:16 pm »
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for this.... but come on guys... a clothing catagory?  we're a video game database... not a closet organizer....WTF!  ;)

seriously though, this site is starting to loose focus on video games... in my honest opinion, i think the only things that should be allowed on this site are:

1.) Games/Systems
2.) Gaming accessories
3.) Strategy guides

-Retro

You mean like clothes?

This is a collection site. It started with games, it expanded to game-related publications, then music, movies, toys, and other collectibles. Nothing wrong with having categories for stuff you'll never use.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:25:23 pm »
I'd probably choose a swag category over magazines, honestly.

Some games are bundled with swag, and sometimes those items are obtained separately from the bundle/game.  Lanyards, collectible figurines, pillowcases, and various clothing items have been included in some editions of games, but I've never known a game bundle to include a magazine ;)

I can understand the fear of a clothing category going too far, but I think folks here are pretty good about it for the most part.  Users don't have to include it in their personal collection if they don't want to, and those that want to, can.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:21:49 am »
I'd probably choose a swag category over magazines, honestly.

Some games are bundled with swag, and sometimes those items are obtained separately from the bundle/game.  Lanyards, collectible figurines, pillowcases, and various clothing items have been included in some editions of games, but I've never known a game bundle to include a magazine ;)

I can understand the fear of a clothing category going too far, but I think folks here are pretty good about it for the most part.  Users don't have to include it in their personal collection if they don't want to, and those that want to, can.

Indeed-

-diddly ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:05:07 pm »

1.) Games/Systems
2.) Gaming accessories
3.) Strategy guides

-Retro

My Metroid Prime T-Shirt that came with my Trilogy pre-order disagrees with you.

The focus is "collecting video games". For me my Metriod Prime Trilogy is not complete with out the Poster and T-Shirt that came with the pre-order.

My Son's Little Big Planet Limited Edition he would not consider complete without the sackboy plush that came with it.

Lastly, I see you're relatively new to the forums. Welcome to VGCollect!

A lot of us on here (myself included) tend to have strong opinions so please never take it as a rejection of you if we disagree. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:32:25 pm by dashv »

insektmute

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:51:00 am »
I'm with the OP, though it's a minority view. It's one thing if it's included as part of a bundle or pre-order bonus, but I've always felt like stuff like figures, promo items, etc. just adds unnecessary clutter and grey, especially when you consider big franchises like Pokemon or Magic: The Gathering.

If I recall, when the discussion has come up in the past, the long-term plan has been for the search functionality to evolve and allow us to filter things a bit more, but Matt has only so much time.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:21 am »
like dash said - a lot of us may disagree, but we all get along...kinda' more like sibling rivalry :P

that said, I personally find the idea/need of listing magazine issues as nutty & useless as tc finds clothing (I'd never list even a single one of mine) *but* others here enjoy doing so.

so, I've simply never clicked on and/or seen anything magazine-related...its existence & the option to do so, literally, has no effect on me and does absolutely nada to hinder or limit my use of the site ;D

it'd be different if we couldn't list & track our games but, we could list & track clothing & magazines :o

tl;dr = to each, their own ;)

and yeah, welcome to VGC tc!

soera

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:27 am »
I like having both. I have a pre-order FFVII shirt and a Best Buy Skylander giants pre-order shirt in my collection on here. I also track most of my magazines. To me, if its gaming related and not something that someone just made, it should be here cause chances are if I have it, then someone else may too.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 11:21:18 am »
I like having both. I have a pre-order FFVII shirt and a Best Buy Skylander giants pre-order shirt in my collection on here. I also track most of my magazines. To me, if its gaming related and not something that someone just made, it should be here cause chances are if I have it, then someone else may too.

I actually really enjoy checking if someone else on the site might have some weird gaming-related thing that I thought only I would have.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

freeplay

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »
I'm new here, but part of the reason I signed up is because I really like how comprehensive the categories are. To me, the "clutter" problem is solved by the advanced search. There are plenty of other websites that handle the video game side of things; I feel that the extra categories and the wiki-style feel of being able to contribute just about anywhere makes this place special, even if erroneous entries can be a hassle once in a while.

The only thing I've found lacking so far is the ability to organize my wish list by priority, and the ability to expand listings per page to 50/100. If you have a large wish list, it's very difficult for people to muddle through it.

EDIT: Thanks for the warm welcome, Disgaeniac!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:04:10 pm by freeplay »
Currently playing: Grandia II (DC), Metropolis Street Racer (DC)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »
Allow me to be the 1st to welcome you to VGC, freeplay! ;D

We have an "Introductions" thread where you can say hi & tell us a bit about yourself...or not 8)

As someone who *Loves* to play with words - you already get some props for your cool & (Phantasy starved) sig :)

I don't use the wishlist much myself --but-- iirc, from the very little that I've used it...I'm thinking that it *does* allow you to prioritize the items in your list ;)

karyann

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »
Allow me to be the 1st to welcome you to VGC, freeplay! ;D

We have an "Introductions" thread where you can say hi & tell us a bit about yourself...or not 8)

As someone who *Loves* to play with words - you already get some props for your cool & (Phantasy starved) sig :)

I don't use the wishlist much myself --but-- iirc, from the very little that I've used it...I'm thinking that it *does* allow you to prioritize the items in your list ;)

You can choose a priority for each, but there is currently no "sort by priority" option though.  :-\ Not yet anyway.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »
Game related clothes should be aloud because they are game related. I have a question though. Why is there a food category even though it should be aloud?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:05 am »
Game related clothes should be aloud because they are game related. I have a question though. Why is there a food category even though it should be aloud?

they're not (a)loud...they're actually pretty quiet :P