Author Topic: 2014 Favorites!  (Read 2635 times)

2014 Favorites!
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:42 am »
End of the year time, bring out those favorites! Seemed like a very mixed year, where a lot of AAA hyped titles were disappointing or faded quickly, but there were lots of good smaller titles, or how Nintendo just seemed to kill it this year.

Shovel Knight - Awesome game I helped to Kickstart that turned out to be way better than I expected and it really embodies the best of the NES era of gaming from Duck Tales to Mega Man to Castlevania, but does it in its own way that makes it stand out.  Can't recommend the game enough.

Bayonetta 2 - While I never beat Bayonetta 1, I decided I was going to dive right into Bayo 2 and I loved it.  It's just batshit crazy, which is what Platinum does best.  It's simply a spectacle to behold that always continues to get bigger and more crazy.

Hyrule Warriors - To be honest, while most of the Dynasty Warriors stuff outside of the combat itself is real "meh", having that crazy action mixed with Zelda became something that was a whole lot of fun.  There's just so much to collect and accomplish in the game and I'm still playing it off and on today to try and unlock new alternates of weapons and skins.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - To me, its just a mostly solid fantasy RPG.  The combat is abit kinda bland hotbar auto attack, the AI isn't so great, and the PC had some quality issues, but I enjoyed the story and setting and the character interaction with your companions made me want to continue on as I learned more about Iron Bull who is a badass, or Cassandra's enjoyment of a certain type of book, or that Blackwall has a mysterious past, or that Sera is an ass, but a lovable one lol I put like 75 hours into the game at something like a 90% completion and I actually want to go back through with another class type, try some of the different story paths, see where that takes me.

Honorable Mentions

Mario Kart 8 - Always a solid kart series, but it's not something I play regularly on my own and after playing Sonic All Stars Transformed, I really want to see the next Nintendo kart game to basically be Smash Kart like the Sonic game or Diddy Kong Racing 2 lol

Smash Bros - I know people are nuts over the game and it's a good game, but I feel most of the extras in the game are pretty poor and it's again not something I want to play a lot on my own.  Local multiplayer with some friends sure, but I don't do that often.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Solid shooter that does a good job at mixing the old school and new school shooter action, combined with some entertaining characters and wild story.

Might've missed a game or two that I feel I could include as I played a lot of games this year, but some stuff just didn't hit me as being as good as I wanted, like Dead Rising 3 on PC or Far Cry 4 and I haven't played games like Mordor, Alien, or Borderlands: Pre-Sequel.  Also some titles like Metro 2033 Redux, while a great improvement on the original and I love that series, it is just not technically a new game.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:53:49 am by kamikazekeeg »

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: 2014 Favorites!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:26:54 am »
I admittedly haven't played too many new games this year, but I'll drop a few anyway.

1) I'll second Shovel Knight. I love this game. It's an excellent throwback to my favorite genre and era of games.

2) Mario Kart 8 was a fantastic game. It was everything that is Mario Kart, plus some. The online works great, it looks beautiful,  and it's just plain fun.

3) Smash Bros. is in my WiiU right now. I'm not very good at it, but it's still fun to play.

4) NES Remix. I can't remember if they came out this year, but the physical copy did, so I'll put it on the list too.

There's 4 games I bought new this year. I'm not very good at paying full price.

retroone

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:27:27 am »
Shovel Knight
The Last of Us Remastered (Missed out on the PS3)
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Minecraft: TU19

freeplay

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:58:51 am »
Agree with all of these, and would add Bravely Default!
Currently playing: Grandia II (DC), Metropolis Street Racer (DC)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
I can't afford to buy games brand-new. I'll be playing most of the 2014 titles next year, most likely.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »
I can't afford to buy games brand-new. I'll be playing most of the 2014 titles next year, most likely.

Well you can use this as a reference guide then for what to look for lol

davifus

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »
Ys: memories of celceta

1 of the 2 game I beat in 2014
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:00:05 pm »
I haven't keep up with the latest and greatest so my two are:

NES Remix
Mighty Final Fight (WiiU Virtual Console)

soera

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:31 am »
Ill definitely add Bravely Default to the list and a few that havent been mentioned.

Child of Light. Absolutely worth every cent.
Diablo III Reaper of Souls. Great addition to an already great game.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 06:58:01 pm »
Hi everyone I'm new here, and this seems like a good place for my first post! I would have to put Bayonetta 2 and MK8 on my list of 2014 favourites. Made me glad I got a Wii U.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 07:17:18 pm »
Hi everyone I'm new here, and this seems like a good place for my first post! I would have to put Bayonetta 2 and MK8 on my list of 2014 favourites. Made me glad I got a Wii U.

I bought one towards the beginning of the year and it was 100% worth it.  I didn't even include Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which is a good game, just not a favorite of mine and I still have to grab Captain Toad which I'm going to later in the week.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:09:15 am »

I bought one towards the beginning of the year and it was 100% worth it.  I didn't even include Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which is a good game, just not a favorite of mine and I still have to grab Captain Toad which I'm going to later in the week.

Yeah got my WiiU second hand form someone that decided it wasn't their thing.

It was supposed to be a Christmas gift but it didn't last that long (had to make sure it worked properly. Then we couldn't put it down).

But it did come with 5 games (on disc) that I never let the family see/touch. Those won't be revealed until tomorrow! :)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:29:30 pm »
Far Cry 4 is a great first-person shooter/sandbox game for anyone interested.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »
This was all the new stuff I picked up this year, with the favorites in bold. I haven't played all of them just yet though...  ;D

PS3 - Arcana Heart 3 Love Max
PS3 - Class of Heroes 2G
PS3 - Dark Souls II
PS3 - Drakengard 3
PS3 - Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster
PS3 - Ultra Street Fighter IV
PSV - AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed
PSV - Deception IV: Blood Ties
PSV - Freedom Wars
PSV - Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
PSV - One Piece Unlimited: World Red
PSV - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
3DS - Bravely Default
WiiU - Mario Kart 8
WiiU - NES Remix Pack
WiiU - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:00:43 pm by zenimus »

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:21:15 am »
My favorites are Dark Souls 2, South Park: Stick of Truth, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Child of Light, The Evil Within, and Far Cry 4.

I was disappointed with Destiny and Sunset Overdrive. I have yet to play Bayonetta 2 and have Shadow of Mordor but havent yet played it.

Future: No Man's Sky, Rime, Below, Hotline Miami: Wrong Number, Until Dawn, Legend of Zelda, Quantum Break, Rainbow Six: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 3, Halo 5, Xenoblade Chronicles, Everybody's Gone to Rapture, and Wild